PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle: X-15

censored
07-27-2003, 07:30 AM
http://mysite.verizon.net/res0ygtc/x1513b.jpg

This is a X-15, the fastest and highest-flying plane ever built - yay :)
Made with 3ds max and Brazil r/s.

davidSingha
07-27-2003, 04:35 PM
Looks cool!

A little bit too dark to evaluate your geometry though.

nice work.

cheers:beer:

ssyed
07-28-2003, 12:57 AM
the modelling over all is clean but how come the windows are not oval as in the original ... perhaps you've modeled the rebuild also the little antenna type thing behind the text "APU exauhst" isn't there on the original

ssyed
07-28-2003, 01:17 AM
Also if you modeled the X-15 rebuild the underside of the aircraft has a white heat protective coating

censored
07-28-2003, 09:46 AM
ssyed, refer here: http://www.dfrc.nasa.gov/gallery/photo/X-15/Medium/E-7896.jpg

Thanks for the comments.

RmachucaA
07-28-2003, 06:51 PM
sweet, good texturing/modelling as far as i can tell, but isnt the SR-71 the highest flying plane ever? or maybe even the U-2.

ssyed
07-28-2003, 08:43 PM
The X-15 is not a conventional take off aircraft it is launched off the wings of a B-52 so technically it's more of a rocket than really a plane . I think SR-71 is the highest conventional take off airplane...

o yeah thanks for the pic i guess this one is dif from the pics i have in my aircraft book

RmachucaA
07-28-2003, 11:08 PM
did you know they developed a variant of the X-15 that could land in water? interesting eh?

Eman597
07-29-2003, 05:46 AM
OMG, I love that plane, I just finished reading The Right Stuff for school and I wish so much that they had continued that project!!!! Did you have full out rotoscopes for this? or just that one picture? For real, this is so cool that you are modeling that!!! As for comments, weather the tail fin a little more, as you can see in the pic you posted it is a little white in places. I guess this is from the air friction? Anyway, work on weathering it a bit more, the geometry looks fine.

Rei Ayanami
07-29-2003, 09:04 PM
the back of the tailplane looks way to thick. it should be just two sheets of metal together with a bit in the middle, but v thin at the top.

yeah teh X-15 did hypersonic flight (mach 5+) and is a solid fuel rocket motor powered plane, now tech the Space Shuttle is the highest fly plane... but the SR-71 does a sub-balistic loop, and gets out of the atmosphere, so that is the highest flying plane.

also the black doesnt look black enough.

The Cross
07-29-2003, 09:57 PM
Interesting indeed. Actually it did Mach 6+(Six times the speed of sound) And other reports claim it reached mach 8. Robert White is the one who got to pilot this machine for the first time. There was a list of other pilots that got to ride it as well, including Neil Armstrong. I'm not sure who it was , BUt it came to a point where one of the X-15's (although heavily coat protected for intense heat) got dicinigrated and thus discontinued the entire project.

Today at one of NASA's base's (Not sure where it's located) Has the actual X-15 that broke mach 6, Bronzed and placed in the front of the base as it were a statue.

ssyed
07-29-2003, 11:03 PM
Actually i think the tail of the x-15 is supposed to be wide at the ends not sure why...

@RmachucaA: thats really cool .. now if only it could fly under water

ChiralSym
07-30-2003, 01:33 AM
Hi Censored,

Nice model!

Something is just a little off about the cross sectional shape of the fuseloge. Not sure how to say it. If you get reference photos from different angles and lighting, I think you'll see it. It's not a simple convex shape, it sort of has concave parts.

Other than that, looks great!

Sincerely,
--Tony

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.