PDA

View Full Version : Character Lighting Rig

B4C
07-01-2009, 04:31 AM
Hello,

I am trying to adjust SSS on a couple of characters and I want to see how they would look under different lighting conditions in a CG scene that I have created. I've heard that it is common practice in the industry to create a small room to run these tests in which characters and lighting can be switched out on the fly. How would I go about doing this? Do you guys have another method for testing character lighting? Thanks in advance.

mister3d
07-01-2009, 05:33 AM
http://forums.cgsociety.org/search.php?searchid=1785370

B4C
07-01-2009, 05:14 PM
I got a no matches found result from that link?

mister3d
07-01-2009, 11:50 PM
I got a no matches found result from that link?

Sorry, I don't know why it happened, it worked before, just search this thread, it has already a couple of threads on th esubject.

B4C
07-04-2009, 08:59 AM
I've been searching and I can't find anything related. What were you referring to mister3d?

mister3d
07-04-2009, 03:38 PM
If you already have completed scenes, make hdri of them, create a new scene and test with those hdri. If you don't have those scenes, create some lights that roughly represent the lighting they will be through.

B4C
07-05-2009, 06:11 AM
The HDR solution had first occurred to me because it seemed almost like plug and play. A lighting artist could pass along the HDR to a shading artist and it is instant lighting.

I tried just directly capturing the scene with a latlong lens, but Maya does not capture light sources as a camera would in a live scene, so I am essentially only capturing bounced light.

I then remembered running into this (http://www.vi-motion.de/latlong_Tutorial/) tutorial a while back. "Modeling" the lights in with primitive shapes that use incandesence to light the scene. I am slowly getting it to work, but I need to redo at least my primary lights. It is a lot of going back and forth testing the HDR and adjusting the incandesence. I feel as though I have run into a deadend because there are imperfections in the HDR that I have not been able to fix such as specularity and shadows which are both important when adjusting shaders. Not to mention that the question of efficiency has popped in my head a couple of times.

I am thinking of just importing the light rig rather than going the IBL route unless you have some advice for me regarding doing it with IBL. Thanks.

mister3d
07-05-2009, 07:17 AM
You are right man, I see... if your scenes are not too complex, perhaps you will have to use them or simplified versions. You can delete all unnessecary geometry, simplify them, delete some minor light sources, and create an easy-to-use set for testing.

B4C
07-05-2009, 09:03 PM
Yeah, seems like the best way to go right now. Thank you for all your help.

CGTalk Moderation
07-05-2009, 09:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.