PDA

View Full Version : Updated Quad Run

ajfrank
06-30-2009, 10:27 PM
Update of quad run I've been working on. I'm near done with this cycle. As far as the other animation is concern where he breaks the wall down, after seeing Transformers 2, and seeing their awesome quad run :drool: , I feel as though I should restart on that one :hmm:

I've updated since but never posted it because I'm just not too happy with it yet. So instead of trying to fix what I have I think I might just start over from scratch, maybe even do a different idea :shrug:

Anywho here's the cycle of the quad. Im proud of this one but doing a cycle is easy work to me. Not too much of a challenge... Like mentioned before I'm going to either fix the other animation of him breaking threw the wall or just do a whole new different idea, but still have him moving not in a cycle.

I know I have ways to go but I have to get my animations to movie quality before I graduate! :D

Enjoy and C&C welcomed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGt1SJt1k-w

PinkSherbet
07-02-2009, 03:08 AM
Hello! Nice work there! I read some of the comments on the youtube. I agree with JohnWest on the timing. Give it a rhythm, it will power up your animation.

Can i suggest your tail, i know is suppose to be heavy, but i think if it is possible you can try curving the tail a little more, give it a nice arc before it hits the ground, i'm not so sure if there is a controller at the tip. Especially when it comes to the side view, i got this feeling the hind legs are going to get entangle with the tail.

The rhythm of the tail hitting the ground, maybe u can try a quick thud thud, followed by thud thud thud? 2 thuds then 3 thuds and back to 2 thuds, and so on...

ajfrank
07-03-2009, 03:23 PM
Thanks I appreciate your comment.

Yes there is a control for the tip of it's tail. I'll play around with it some more to see if I can get more of a curve before hitting the ground.

I'll also play more with the rhythm to because I also dont like the rhythm too much to. It feels something is missing and maybe if I play with the rhythm some more It'll feel more complete

Thanks for the advice

mistasam02
07-06-2009, 05:29 AM
Definitely stagger the feet. In a dog or cat run, the cycle is Left-Rear, Left-Front, Right-Rear, Right-Front. Watch a lot more reference and you'll notice there's a wave that goes through the body, not just a back and forth motion. The front goes up first, then the middle, then the rear. Hope this helps. :D

ajfrank
07-06-2009, 08:35 AM
Thanks Sam. I'm working on fixing him now. I'll have an update later today. I tried not to go for to much of a gallop type run (like a hoarse), but the more I looked at it and the more people kept telling to offset his feet some more, I gave it a shot. It's looking a lot better now. I offsetted the front feet some more and the back just a little more. I also tried to add some more twisting in his body. It's hard to get the excat twisting motion I'm trying to go for because of how this is rigged but I think I have enough in the updated version to sell more weight. I also try to add some drag to his upper body. It's starting to feel more better to me. Hope to here from you again and others once I post my update :thumbsup:

ajfrank
07-07-2009, 07:04 AM
Update of the run. Tried adding more weighting and twisting. Also offsetted the front feet more. His shoulder pads is a bit choppy as well i noticed.

I'm also not liking the way his front body is pushing of the ground. It just not feeling right to me and it's been bothering me forever. He don't feel like he's pushing. Anyone has any suggestions on what I can do to fix it? Any critiques? Are the feet better? Does he feel as though he has more weight? Anything I can do to improve on it?

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3BZvswEu28

AlexisV
07-07-2009, 12:44 PM
It's looking good,

For now the upper body goes up without the help of the front legs, it's probably one of the reasons that it's not giving the impression that he's pushing. The legs supposes to push and after that the upper body's follow, give it some overlap.

It's difficult to see properly with Youtube but, I think you have a small problem with your right back knee.

ajfrank
07-07-2009, 02:21 PM
Thanks AlexisV. Sorry about the youtube. My website is currently in progress of being built. Hopefully it'll be done by the end of the month.

I think that's excatly what the upper body is missing is that overlap. Hopefully that'll fix the problem.

With his back leg his leg goes up in the air before it pushes. That's what happens when you animate when very tired :)

I'll work on that overlapping and making the animation smoother too. I'll try to have an update up by the end of the day. In the mean time any other critiques would be highly appreciated :beer:

ajfrank
07-09-2009, 01:58 AM
Progress update. I started completely over. I noticed a popping sensation when he pull himself in so I'm looking into that to see whats causing that. I'm more satisfied with this version compared to the older version, but I'm still not completely satisfied with the result. Feels a little choppy in the front view. It's feeling closer towards completion but I still feel more can be added and fix

Tail still in progress

C&C welcomed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1gjx8yzJ3o

CGTalk Moderation
07-09-2009, 01:58 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.