PDA

View Full Version : vray for maya?

mlager8
06-30-2009, 09:47 PM
Whats the deal with vray for maya? Is there a full release or not? On the chaossoftware website there is a demo release from 2008 which seems to be compatible from maya 07 throu 8.5 but no 2009. I see on other sites companies selling "vray for maya 2009 full version" is this all fake and is there a demo release for 2009?

thev
07-01-2009, 12:53 AM
Whats the deal with vray for maya? Is there a full release or not? On the chaossoftware website there is a demo release from 2008 which seems to be compatible from maya 07 throu 8.5 but no 2009. I see on other sites companies selling "vray for maya 2009 full version" is this all fake and is there a demo release for 2009?V-Ray for Maya is not available for sale yet; you can email vraymaya@chaosgroup.com to get access to the latest nightly builds of the beta.

Best regards,
Vlado

leif3d
07-01-2009, 02:58 AM
I remember seeing Vray for Maya advertised in 2004...:argh:
I'm sure they're doing everything in their power to get it out, but I wouldn't keep my hopes up for an upcoming release.

I would love to know why it has taken so long...

cgbeige
07-01-2009, 05:44 AM
if they were smart, they'd build a standalone app like Maxwell so they could just write plug-ins for apps. It would be a lot more future-proof (when's modo support coming? LOL). Maybe that's what's taking so long.

It would also help liberate their shaders from being either strictly buried in .max or .c4d files.

lazzhar
07-01-2009, 03:05 PM
if they were smart, they'd build a standalone app like Maxwell so they could just write plug-ins for apps. It would be a lot more future-proof (when's modo support coming? LOL). Maybe that's what's taking so long.

It would also help liberate their shaders from being either strictly buried in .max or .c4d files.

AS far as I've seen, vray for maya comes with a standalone version working on all platforms.
As for the release date , it's in an RC stage and there is already a thread (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=59&t=762943)about it.

thev
07-01-2009, 07:38 PM
if they were smart, they'd build a standalone app like Maxwell so they could just write plug-ins for apps. ... Maybe that's what's taking so long.It is exactly the plug-ins for the apps that take 90% of the development efforts. Our goal is to allow you to work efficiently inside the application of your choice, using as many of the features you are used to (procedural or other textures, materials, lights, compositing methods etc, in addition to more advanced V-Ray specific ones). The goal of e.g. Maxwell on the other hand, is to get you out of your modelling application as quickly as possible, and inside its own studio for rendering, with minimal support for the native features of the modelling application.

CGTalk Moderation
07-01-2009, 07:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.