PDA

View Full Version : Camera Cuts?

Tim Deneau
07-27-2003, 12:23 AM
How do you animate the camera to go to several angles while rendering a scene? I've tried to just move the camera quickly to another location in the span of like 2 frames but I get goofy tweens... am I supposed to use multiple cameras or what?

:shrug: I can't find much information on the subject, I suppose the answer is blatantly obvious.

robinson
07-27-2003, 12:59 AM
You should try out this plugin or just animate the camera with a stepped curve !!!

MULTI-CAMERA BATCH RENDER
http://www.ats-3d.com/

But sorry I just hope I really understand everything you are talking about !!!:shrug:

Captain
07-27-2003, 03:08 AM
So far, From what I have been told in this channel and read about in manuals and books, its impossible to change cameras during a render. Therefor the only way to do a cut in a single render (so that you can have multiple angels in a single render(movie) you have to do fancy camera moves, as was said above best using Steps.

If you end up rendering through several different cameras you can put them together in a video editing package (final cut pro, premier, etc) these can range from free to Very expensive. The advantage to these is the ability to add sound fx and music, and neat video fx too!

There is this secret though. Render your files to image sequences. Then Render each camera as the same sequence as long as their respective frames are exactly back to back. Then you load the intire image sequence into lightwave as the background and rerender as a movie. Wala! You have multiple camera cuts just like that.

-Captain

CourtJester
07-27-2003, 03:16 AM
Stepped keyframes won't work because motion blur works *back* from the current key while stepping works from the current key FORWARD. So, you'd get one MB pass in one place and all the rest at the other. Annoying but true.

The way I do "multi-camera" is to complete the scene with all the cameras you want, then save out each cut with only the right camera and frame range for your cuts, and all with the same output prefix so they load together. If you decide you need to alter the cuts, load up your source animation and repeat the process. Bear in mind that under tight deadlines, if you need 20 more frames from cut B at the expense of cut C all you need to rerender are those twenty frames.

kretin
07-28-2003, 03:21 AM
You can also use the Master Plugin: CameraSelector to test your cuts in a preview. Doesn't work for rendering, but is useful for previewing.

Currently you need to save out a seperate scene for each camera, each scene saved with the appropriate frame range for rendering. Then the easiest way from there is to use Screamernet as a batch renderer.

Tim Deneau
07-28-2003, 03:44 AM
Thanks guys.

Triple G
07-28-2003, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by CourtJester
Stepped keyframes won't work because motion blur works *back* from the current key while stepping works from the current key FORWARD. So, you'd get one MB pass in one place and all the rest at the other. Annoying but true.

That does kinda stink if you're doing motion blur within LW, but if you're adding blur in post with something like Reelsmart Motion Blur, then rendering with stepped keys on the camera is fine.

CourtJester
07-28-2003, 09:27 PM
That Reelsmart motion blur looks really amazing! Thanks for the tip Triple G!

Triple G
07-28-2003, 09:32 PM
No problem. It's a great plugin! For its price, it should really be in everyone's toolbox! (Or at least the toolboxes of those who own AE, or an AE-plugin-compatible compositor.) :D

mdurwin
06-02-2005, 09:00 PM
I generally set up several cameras at once and render each out seperately then composite them in AE or Premiere. I'd love to be able to render out multiple cameras at once to save me having to wait for one to finish before I gert to render the other. It'd be helpful for overnight/over-weekend renders. Unfortunately I don't think it can be done. You can, once your scene is perfect, create seperate camera moves and save the scenes for each seperate camera, then open all of the scenes at once and render them all. You do risk crashing your machine depending on what you're doing. And, of course, you still need to composite them.

blaqDeaph
06-02-2005, 11:43 PM
No problem. It's a great plugin! For its price, it should really be in everyone's toolbox! (Or at least the toolboxes of those who own AE, or an AE-plugin-compatible compositor.) :D

Not necessarily, I just set up each render and batch them with screamer net

mdurwin
06-03-2005, 01:26 AM
I thought you needed more than one machine for Screamer Net?

l1ghtwave3dee
06-03-2005, 01:41 AM
dont forget you can use the new arbitrary rendering in lightwave 8. In the render options you can tell lightwave to render out frames 1-40,65-100 and so on..................so basically between frames 40 and 65 you can get a new camera position........skiping those specific nasty frames where the camera is traveling to a new location......

hope this is easy to understand.........

blaqDeaph
06-03-2005, 02:50 AM
I thought you needed more than one machine for Screamer Net?

Yea, I just hook it up with an old box, not for the rendering power, but mainly for the batching ability.

NanoGator
06-03-2005, 03:17 AM
Screamernet doesn't require multiple machines. You can run it locally. I did this a LOT when working on Rocket and Company.

If anybody's curious: No, that didn't work for the FPrime rendered shots.

Panikos
06-03-2005, 04:10 AM
I am sorry to say that I hate this Camera-Cuts story.
Oky, I dont blame people using it, but this is not the right way to visual story telling.

You may visit a production house with studio facilities, for a day and see how people shoot and edit.
Its simply #$% to tell a story with a single camera and the lights, all white, fixed in all shots.

NanoGator
06-03-2005, 04:31 AM
I am sorry to say that I hate this Camera-Cuts story.
Oky, I dont blame people using it, but this is not the right way to visual story telling.

You may visit a production house with studio facilities, for a day and see how people shoot and edit.
Its simply #$% to tell a story with a single camera and the lights, all white, fixed in all shots.

Err.. I'm having trouble understanding your meaning here, could you explain in a little more detail please?

Panikos
06-03-2005, 05:17 AM
Sure, with pleasure.

First of all, camera motion needs to be independent and not trapped at the beginning and the end of the motion due to previous/next shot.
If you sharply cut during the animation, you basically corrupt the motion of the camera due to the cut-point keyframes and if you use TCB values this becomes worse.

Coming from production background with real means, we use to shoot the same scene 3..4..10 as many takes possible in order to achieve the desired result.
The shot that will follow in the edit, is shot in the same manner.
Its the task of the editor to select the best shots and edit them together, hiding or revealing the cinematographic-time that the shots hypothetically endure.

Also, to give more flexibility to the editor, we record extra time and space for the beginning and the end of the shot.

If you ever attended "the making of" a movie, this is what happens.
Everything is written/sketched down and planned. Every shot is recorded multiple times.
The sequence that the shots are recorded are not the same as you see them on screen.
In a rainy day, producer takes advantage of the rain and change the production plans that were for a sunny day.

In order to tell a story visually, every shot is treated as necessary.

Back to LW terms, if you tell a story within a LW scene of 9034578472357 frames with camera-sharp cuts, you better become an insurance agent cause this is not the way people work.

Panikos
06-03-2005, 05:33 AM
Here some photos of a shoot we did 2 days ago, 35mm film, multiple takes per shot till satisfaction.

NanoGator
06-03-2005, 05:45 AM
Ah, I hear ya. :)

I agree on this point. The question is: Does he want to do this because he's trying to make one long scene, or is he doing it for technical reasons? (i.e. rendering in F-Prime...)

Panikos
06-03-2005, 05:55 AM
Even in FPrime case, I would have 2..n scenes

CGTalk Moderation
06-03-2005, 05:55 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.