PDA

View Full Version : Help with Careers

AllorNothing117
06-30-2009, 01:11 PM
Firstly, Hi I'm AllorNothing117 and this is my first post.

I'm very much into animation. I'd love to do an Animation Degree course at University. I have done plenty of 2D animation on programs like Serif and Pivot stick. How do I progress from here, to a stage where I can aplly for a 3D animation course and have a decent chance of getting in?

Thank you ^_^

I look forward to "meeting" you all :)

JasonRoll
07-01-2009, 07:24 PM
It really just depends on what school you want to go to. Some schools require portfolios and others do not. I highly suggest scouting for the right school and getting feed back from multiple forums. Just because they offer an animation program does not mean that its a good one.

And stay away from online schools. Being in animation, you are going to interact with people in your career and in the pipe line. You won't gain those skills through online courses.

stuartb
07-01-2009, 07:39 PM
And stay away from online schools. Being in animation, you are going to interact with people in your career and in the pipe line. You won't gain those skills through online courses.

I think this couldn't be further from the truth. I'm currently attending Animation Mentor and its leaps and bounds better than the Art University I attended. Here's the huge CGTalk thread about AM: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=289&t=147156

Paul McLaughlin
07-01-2009, 09:12 PM
Devote your life into finding out exactly what to do and how to act, then go do the exact opposite... Thank me when you are a millionaire and directing your own films.

RoamingGnome
07-03-2009, 04:54 AM
I've learned quite a lot from youtube tutorials. The real use for a school in my case has been for discounted software :shrug:

mr Bob
07-03-2009, 07:26 AM
Hi ,
Going to university is the correct approach to take. Those people who seem to think online learning is the way to go have just missed the main advantages you get from university.

1) You get the chance to meet people who share your interests and work in group projects.Team skills are very valuable
2) You get exposed to a broad range of subject areas
3) you get a taste of living away from home and gain those life skills !

4) you get a degree which means you can if you wish at some point work in other countries. Many require a degree for a visa.

The best course you can go to into the UK is Bournemouth without a shadow of a doubt !

CGTalk Moderation
07-03-2009, 07:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.