PDA

View Full Version : Mafia II :: Game Production Focus

PaulHellard
06-30-2009, 07:19 AM
Hey there,

The visual idea of the 'Mafia II' game is realism. Since the story direction of 'Mafia II' features a very serious tone, the visuals need to also take on a serious tone; people, environments, cars and the whole overall feel needs to accurately portray the same feel of the 1950s in America. Realistic CG in games are taking the same visual steps as realism of VFX in film. Click the image. Read the feature. Make up your own mind.

http://features.cgsociety.org//images/plugs/feature/mafia_plug.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/story.php?story_id=5149)

JoshBowman
06-30-2009, 08:48 AM
The original Mafia was such an experience I still get it out from time to time to play it. After seeing the Godfather games in action and thinking they looked rather boring I have high hopes that Mafia 2 will deliver the goods on what a true mafia game should be like and so far everything I've seen has me seriously impressed.

Anacardo
06-30-2009, 11:31 AM
Mafia I is probably one of the best games I'e ever played, and the leaked winter PC gameplay video of the sequel looks very promising. Again: attention to detail, good characters and storytelling, great lighting and great art direction. I really have high expectations for this game. Fingers crossed. :)

noouch
06-30-2009, 02:16 PM
The environments looks great! Very plastic and real-feeling. The characters seem to be a step behind, though, they look like clay, and seem to be missing the fancy skin shaders that most other newer games feature.

wurp
06-30-2009, 03:26 PM
I also loved mafia 1, driving around in those old cars and once in a while you got to drive something really fast, that game had a very nice mood to it, hope this one will be the same way, only better.

farazmobin
06-30-2009, 04:37 PM
great interview..waiting for this title since mafia1.raelly looking forward to this.

"new hardware to run the game which gamers will remember was a serious problem when trying to run a game like Crysis."

seeing this line in a lot of other developer interviews(cant remmeber which one) too just makes me curious. i never required a NASA pc to run crysis when it was released.

TO ALL DEVELOPERS,GET OVER IT..they made a Technically Superior, Masterpiece Game almost 1 1/2 years ago,just admit it. :) even if the "gameplay and story its self wasnt that good"

undoz
06-30-2009, 04:43 PM
Great job on the environments! Looking forward to this game.

gent_k
06-30-2009, 07:25 PM
I loved the first Mafia as well, one of my most memorable gaming experiences. It had such a great overall feel... and man, that music while driving in those cars in different parts of the city! I still hum some of those tunes even years after not playing the game. The missions never got boring and the presentation and pace of the story was perfect.

The game had some quirks but overall I think it's one of the most engaging games I've ever played.

If Mafia II can even roughly match the experience of the first game, I'm sure it will be a hit.

Lordiego01
06-30-2009, 09:03 PM
the first game was a masterpiece. Shame I never had time to finish it.

Add me to the list of people anxious to play the second one.

Kickflipkid687
07-01-2009, 03:04 AM
Yeah, I've been waiting for Mafia II since the 1st, I can't wait!

Hopefully it will surpass the first in every way, but only time will tell.

I do agree that alot of devs are jelous of the tech Crysis runs. I can run it fine with my desktop on max settings. I don't have a super computer either.

TyroneMaddams
07-01-2009, 05:57 AM
Very very cool looking game, i really can't wait to play it!!

Mafia 1 was just great, Mafia 2 looks to be freaking awesome-o :)

- Ty

doCHtor
07-01-2009, 06:43 AM
"new hardware to run the game which gamers will remember was a serious problem when trying to run a game like Crysis."

seeing this line in a lot of other developer interviews(cant remmeber which one) too just makes me curious. i never required a NASA pc to run crysis when it was released.

TO ALL DEVELOPERS,GET OVER IT..they made a Technically Superior, Masterpiece Game almost 1 1/2 years ago,just admit it. :) even if the "gameplay and story its self wasnt that good"

Agreed, if you run crysis on max details today, it still looks great and maybe it's still the best looking game out there, no wonder that almost 1 and half year ago it was perceived as a bit more hardware hungry game.

roadRUNN3R
07-01-2009, 05:31 PM
Mafia is one of my all-time favorite games :) I usually don't even finish a game that's boring. I finish one when it's good, but Mafia got finished with all the bonus cars and I still have the saves in safe storage xD From what I see so far :drool: it looks like I'll get to do the same with Mafia II :thumbsup:
:beer:

Teriander
07-01-2009, 06:55 PM
I agree with you all, Mafia I ruled. Im so glad they've made II. I hope the developers/publishers make a lot of money off of this, they deserve it.

JCork
07-10-2009, 06:03 PM
Just watched the trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVkHraUDDpk) for this game and was definitely impressed. I think it's also a really good idea to make the game not seem so glamorous. It's important to show that this life probably isn't the best one to choose. Saying that, the story seems like it will be strong, so bravo to the team 2K Czech!

CGTalk Moderation
07-10-2009, 06:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.