PDA

View Full Version : Hub connecting to Internet.

Jonathan
07-26-2003, 07:23 PM
How do you get this thing to stop connecting to the internet everytime you change views? It's seems that everytime I want to use the program with the hub I have to release my adapter as every time I change views I have to sit there and wait instead of the instant changes that come when I'm not connected.

Why in the world would newtek implement such a feature anyway? It only slows everything down????

Brett H.
07-26-2003, 07:33 PM
I'll take a stab at this one, since I have some experience with it.

The Hub uses TCP/IP to connect Modeler and Layout. Since TCP/IP is the same protocol you use to connect to the internet, it may appear that the Hub is trying to connect to the internet, when in fact it's not.

I'm not sure why you would be having this problem when "changing views" however. Do you mean when you go from, say, one viewport to four? I've never seen anything happen with the hub when doing that, so I'm not sure on that one.

Anyone with a firewall that alerts the user that an app is requesting internet access (Zonealarm, for example) will see an alert when the hub starts up, requesting access. This is normal for the above TCP/IP reason.

Brett

milqman
07-26-2003, 07:48 PM
Brett H. is correct. I've encountered this also.

Jonathan
07-26-2003, 07:59 PM
OOHH that clears everything up. Makes sense too.

Yep, when I go from one vp to 4 or 2 to 4 or any combination that changes views, I have to wait a few secs for it to change. Is there anyway to stop it, absent releasing my adapter?

Chewey
07-26-2003, 08:37 PM
What adapter are you using? I use Zone Alarm Pro and if it's not set properly it will prompt for an "OK" for just the simplest of moves.

milqman
07-26-2003, 09:22 PM
I just don't use the Hub. Lightwave starts faster, things are more stable, I don't fear any of my files getting messed up... I just use the Replace button :)

Jonathan
07-26-2003, 10:14 PM
I use the hub heavily. using, Layout and modeller at the same time so to adjust muscle morphs, displacement maps, etc.... I guess I'm one of those people who would benefit from integration.

I don't use a software firewall. I have a hardware firewall on my router, and my network adapter it built on my board., Intel EBT2.

The hub is only problem I have trouble with as everything else seems to run normally.

Brett H.
07-27-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Jonathan
Yep, when I go from one vp to 4 or 2 to 4 or any combination that changes views, I have to wait a few secs for it to change. Is there anyway to stop it, absent releasing my adapter?
I have always had a slight delay when changing viewports. It's an OpenGL thing, isn't it? Videocard should make a difference, as it has to redraw the viewport when you change. I don't see anything to do with the hub in that delay, it's just the second it takes to redraw the viewport. (I think).

Brett

Jonathan
07-27-2003, 07:15 PM
But problem is that when I release the adapter, everything speeds up and it changes at an instant. That's how I deduced that it wasn't an openGL problem. I have no delays when changing views as long as I release the adapter. As soon as I renew the adapter, it goes back to the few second delay.

Chewey
07-27-2003, 07:39 PM
Maybe you should try installing something like Zone Alrm Pro and perhaps that will handle the tcp/ip calls instead of the adapter and alleviate the speed problem. I have Zone Alarm Pro, plus I'm hooked to a router and have no such problems.

kretin
07-28-2003, 03:35 AM
I set my firewall to allow all communication for Layout, Modeler and the Hub. I imagine you can do the same for a hardware firewall too. Doing that should stop any delays...

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.