PDA

View Full Version : Peter Pan CGI, UK

imashination
06-29-2009, 05:34 PM
Just finished working on a somewhat unusual project in London, a new theatre production of Peter Pan in the middle of Kensington gardens. So why is this on cgtalk I hear you yell, because the entire interior of the tent also doubles up as a gigantic 360 degree projection screen :)

http://www.3dfluff.com/files/pptent.jpg

We used 10 gigantic video projectors to fill the inside of the circular tent so that the audience which sits around the central stage has an all-encompassing background view behind the actors. Backdrops range from gently swaying trees which inconspicuously sit behind the cast, all the way up to a 5 minute flight over london which the cast interact with as they fly to Neverland.

http://www.3dfluff.com/files/ppflying.jpg

Video is projected onto the inside of the tent at an epic 10,000 pixels wide, so it should all look pretty detailed no matter where you look. The whole thing was done in cinema 4D 11, photoshop and after effects. Most of the artists never met each other from the start of the project to the end, we all worked remotely at opposite ends of the world; Australia, England, New York, Netherlands... We love teh internets.

http://www.3dfluff.com/files/pphook.jpg

A fuller writeup should be coming in 3d World at some point so keep an eye out. The show runs in central London until August where it will either move to a more sheltered venue in the UK or move over to north America for a tour there.

Big thanks to Bill Dudley, Tim Clapham, Michael Vance and Janine Pauke
Photographs by Simon Annand
http://www.visitlondon.com/peterpan/

http://www.3dfluff.com/files/ppforest.jpg

Laa-Yosh
06-29-2009, 05:54 PM
Wow, that looks very cool.

Michael5188
06-29-2009, 06:11 PM
Amazing! I wish I could see it...

Srek
06-29-2009, 06:42 PM
Fantastic work. Congratulations to all involved, i'm looking forward to see more of this.
Cheers
Björn

JoelOtron
06-29-2009, 06:51 PM
Beautiful work and innovative application of 3D!

Wondering what your workflow was to achieve the 360 renders. Did you use the WFCam plugin or multiple camera renders/stitching?

Horganovski
06-29-2009, 07:11 PM
Very impressive! Congratulations to everyone involved in this, great to see Cinema being used too. Looking forward to seeing more about it too.

Cheers,
Brian

malax
06-29-2009, 09:53 PM
Congrats to all,i'll have to try and get along there...can't imagine the amount sleepless nights you must have had whilst involved in making that..

I'm interested to know which company did the actual projection for you...and what kit was involved...i work in live event production and have never really seen this kind of 360 projection live up to the hype..thats not to dis your content of course...in fact what most people get wrong is to have all the technology and then terrible content.

Also as JoelD said,how did you achieve the 360 renders?
Cheers,
mala

Remi
06-29-2009, 10:21 PM
I worked on something similar in Vegas, nice. I'm curious about the tech, is it projected? If so, how did you handle splitting up the shot to the different projectors, did you have a cam setup in C4D to mimic the physical projector layout? Nice work!!!

Making a 360 isn't too(relative) difficult, I would imagine you guys had your 10,000 wide shot and made sure the seams a 0 and 10,000 were identical. Not the easiest but doable, especially if you split the scene up like in the pirate ship shot with the ship hiding the shoreline. Just guesses as I didn't work on this.

harlan_hill
06-29-2009, 10:25 PM
Wow, thank you for sharing those, that looks amazing. fantastic job!!

Bill-D
06-29-2009, 11:42 PM
Beautiful work and innovative application of 3D!

Wondering what your workflow was to achieve the 360 renders. Did you use the WFCam plugin or multiple camera renders/stitching?

Hi Joel
thanks for your Kind remarks.

Yes we did use the WFCam. Mash (who BTW was responsible for the Tilt Cam in C4d) figured the methodology and it has been an incredible tool. Handling every thing that was hurled at it. The flight to Neverland took over 2 1/2 weeks to render on a 300 machine renderfarm in California.

Beyond the 5 of us on content creation, we had just 2 other guys (Alan & Alex Cox -father & Son
on the video calculation/editing & distribution/hardware side. Their regular day job is all the Video work for the Blue Man group worldwide. The pipe line was: Photoshop> C4D R11 >Win & Mac> AfterFX> Hippotiser media Server to 10 x 20K projectors.

For the screen We had a free hand in the choice of surface on the inside cone of the Tent which was light tight. We chose a light grey over white polyvinyl as grey is less effected by bounced light from the acting lights. Structurally, the tent was perfect for us as it had all its support structure on the outside, giving us a clear light path for the 10 projectors. The projectors were arranged around the edge of the physical stage acting area. This meant that the flying characters never caused their shadows to interfere with the projector beams.

Bill D

artzfx
06-30-2009, 12:43 AM
Very impressive. Can only imagine the amazing atmosphere sitting in that tent with everything going on!

JoelOtron
06-30-2009, 03:58 AM
Hi Joel
thanks for your Kind remarks.

Yes we did use the WFCam. Mash (who BTW was responsible for the Tilt Cam in C4d) figured the methodology and it has been an incredible tool. Handling every thing that was hurled at it. The flight to Neverland took over 2 1/2 weeks to render on a 300 machine renderfarm in California.

Beyond the 5 of us on content creation, we had just 2 other guys (Alan & Alex Cox -father & Son
on the video calculation/editing & distribution/hardware side. Their regular day job is all the Video work for the Blue Man group worldwide. The pipe line was: Photoshop> C4D R11 >Win & Mac> AfterFX> Hippotiser media Server to 10 x 20K projectors.

For the screen We had a free hand in the choice of surface on the inside cone of the Tent which was light tight. We chose a light grey over white polyvinyl as grey is less effected by bounced light from the acting lights. Structurally, the tent was perfect for us as it had all its support structure on the outside, giving us a clear light path for the 10 projectors. The projectors were arranged around the edge of the physical stage acting area. This meant that the flying characters never caused their shadows to interfere with the projector beams.

Bill D

Thanks for the info. Very impressive. I've used WfCam quite a bit, and also found it to be a steadfast tool for this type of work. Never worked over 4k though! Congratulations on your achievement and good luck with it.

brasco
06-30-2009, 09:20 AM
Looks fantastic really well done :applause:

brasc

colibert
06-30-2009, 09:26 AM
Very interesting job! looks great!!

erilaz
06-30-2009, 10:30 AM
That is pretty damn amazing. I'll have to pop down and take a gander.

biliousfrog
06-30-2009, 11:01 AM
It looks great, I know a couple of little girls that would love to see that.

It's also nice to hear of large projects being undertaken by smaller studios/freelancers using something other than Max or Maya...y'see kids, it is possible ;)

smurfman
06-30-2009, 08:08 PM
Excellent work!! I too wish I could see it live!

One question... Did you produce and sync an audio track with the animation? Half of the experience is the sound and am just curious if directional sound was developed along with the projection.

imashination
06-30-2009, 10:39 PM
Excellent work!! I too wish I could see it live!

One question... Did you produce and sync an audio track with the animation? Half of the experience is the sound and am just curious if directional sound was developed along with the projection.

Previous shows have been timecoded, where we get a rough version of all music laid down to a SMPTE timecode and we work off this entirely start to finish, but...

On this particular project it was a mixed bag. For much of the show, music has been scored to the wireframe previz shots weve done. The one particularly large sequence is the flight to neverland, about 15 minutes into the show. This is a great long 6 minute long animation where we take off, fly over and through london, cloud, emerge at dawn and descend down to neverland.

A rough track to give a feel was sequenced, this tells us that its a sort of epic John Williams orchestral piece. We then make a previz shot of the flight path, this gets batted back and forth a few dozen times, from this we then cut together a final low res rough version of the entire flight which can be worked to.

The composer then goes off and scores to this, adding in all the flourishes and such was we swoop under arches, slow down in the cloud, dodge hooks attacks. So yes, that part is certainly synced. I believe the music was performed by the London philharmonic in the end, but I havent checked.

WyattHarris
07-01-2009, 09:32 PM
That's pretty amazing! What a great use of technology.

imashination
07-22-2009, 02:32 AM
Theres a nice new video up:

http://www.youtube.com/user/360Ents#play/all/uploads-all/0/aarxJRr7_xE

North American tour for 2010 is confirmed, starting in Chicargo, southern hemisphere show will likely start in 2011 in Newzealand

curaremac
07-23-2009, 03:18 PM
WOW! this is amazing! excellent job guys. been a stage designer myself and a fan of the cirque du Soleil, i wish i could be there :)

cheers from Caracas,

Carlos

Airflow
07-23-2009, 03:29 PM
Great work man.

CGTalk Moderation
07-23-2009, 03:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.