PDA

View Full Version : environment lightning

limkinkwan
07-26-2003, 12:18 PM
hi yaa..:)
actually I have tried to "bake to object" to fake the radiosity for an environment scene, but the problem is most of the object cannot be fake although I have follow the step in this tutorial (http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/rendering/lw_baker_beethoven/lw_baker_beethoven.html )

(set surface to "bake to object">lightning o%>enable radiosity>backdrop color to white>render>multi-select the surface and set vertex color map to- SB_jungle)

am I right or I have lost some step? I've tried many times,,,,but still cannot get it right "

Halsu
07-26-2003, 12:30 PM
Mmm... hard to see the image, when the link points to your local D:/ drive ;-)

As an alternative to "real" GI, you might wanna check out LightGen (search flay.com) and my Overcaster scripts (Eki's PlugPak). (http://www.kolumbus.fi/erkki.halkka/plugpak/)

limkinkwan
07-26-2003, 12:41 PM
this is the image I have used 7 hours to render with radiosity which I trying to fake for animation, there got 3007391 point and around 650 object...

Facial Deluxe
07-26-2003, 02:29 PM
Quite small and compressed pic, hard to juge.
For what I see, IMHO, no radiosity is needed here.
A bunch of shadowmaps could do the trick.
I also recommand Eki's suggestions.

Izu
07-27-2003, 04:21 AM
Dunny of youīve tried this but u CANīT usually bake polygons that are more then 4 points, so press "polygons" then "w" in modeled and see what u have there..... triple the polys that are more then 4 and then try baking again....

hope this was the problem...cuz right now i canīt think of anything else..

DrStrik9
07-27-2003, 04:59 AM
Baking is a pain, ESPECIALLY for radiosity, IMHO. :hmm: But it's possible; I've done it. I did it by making Atlas UV's for every object, then baking the entire object as one image. When that doesn't work, make several UV maps for various parts/surfaces on the object, then bake each of those, and map them back onto the object using the UV maps.

You should also try to bake real SMALL images at first, just to see if it's working. Large maps can take literally DAYS to bake, which has never seemed quite right to me. :surprised I originally thought I would need real large maps, but I found that smaller-than-expected baked images would work real well, especially for video resolution.

FWIW

Michael

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.