PDA

View Full Version : Modo Question of the day!!!

DB3D
06-29-2009, 05:28 AM
So some of you might have seen my post earlier in the week. Been a Max user for a few years but Ive been trying to get into modo lately. Just have some issues finding options or just not sure how modo handles the same things max does. So it seems I'll be having alot of questions. You guys have been real kind and answered some things for me so far. Ill try to keep my questions just in this thread.

Again, Im an advanced user in max, but right now very simple things are holding me up in modo. And i mean simple. so dont please dont get mad at the simple questions I may ask for awhile. Once i get past this barrier I hope to use Modo in my workflow.

Question today is:

I was working in the render settings panel, where it lists my basic grey materials. I have to piece of geometry, one is in front, and I put that ones transparent amount to 80. I should be able to see the other piece of geometry but its not working? I just see the grey viewport with the grid lines? Its almost like dont select backfaces or something, but with materials? If anyone can help me out thatd be great.

yousifeyad
06-29-2009, 05:49 PM
you ARE right, modo is different than max in terms of....everything actually.
you're used to model in a different method obviously, so i suggest that you watch some youtube modeling exercises, i reckon there are a bunch of them,they're free if you can't afford luxology's videos,

as for the visibility issues, you're right as well. you can't see through meshes with transparancy as far as i know, but in the new modo 401, you can dissolve the mesh, so you can see through it i guess. but i haven't had a chance to work with it yet.

i hope other people will answer if i slipped off somewhere.

good luck, modonaut.

ryders
06-29-2009, 10:42 PM
Just start a new material and then set the transparency of new material to 50%. Drag the new material onto the mesh or right click and assign it. It works fine.

edfenner
06-30-2009, 12:12 AM
I haven't used Max in ages cause I really don't like it. But, the shader tree in Modo is different for sure. The biggest thing to remember is that it IS a tree and not just a list of the materials in your scene.

paulhart
06-30-2009, 12:44 AM
Welcome to modo. Each program has it's own way... some a better at particular things than others. Now, on to the question.
You did not state if this was in the render or in the preview. If it is in the final render, then it should look like the small preview in the lower left corner I have included. If it is in the on screen preview, you will have to have the display set to Adv. Open GL on some systems to see it on screen. The videos help a lot, many are free. Best to you.
Clarify your question and context so we can help you over the initial hurdles...http://www.hartworks.net/modo/transbox.png

CGTalk Moderation
06-30-2009, 12:44 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.