PDA

View Full Version : Ortho Reviewed

fourd
07-26-2003, 03:51 AM
Just wanted to let you know my Ortho Pack 1 review has been posted.

Irrational Number - Ortho Pack 1 Review - www.Critical-Depth.net (http://www.critical-depth.net/modules.php?name=Reviews3&rop=showcontent3&id=23)

This review was written a few weeks ago, but our posting cycle hadn't come up till now. Although this review is written solely on the experience of Ortho with LW7.5, it still reflects on the functions that you can expect with LW8.

On a side note:
I've become fairly close with Voxel57, I'ld even say we're friends, and he told me some disturbing news. Out of about 2,500 demo downloads of the Ortho Pak 1, he only generated less than five purchases. This is why you will not see future releases of Ortho for stand-alone LW7.5. Basically he was forced to sell his technology to Newtek or dump the Ortho products and any future products. Irrational Number put many man-hours in developing the Ortho Pak as well as few choice other plug-ins I've seen but can't tell you about, and, those who don't upgrade are missing out, me being one of those...

With this all said and done, I think it's HIGH time we start supporting our third party plugin developers instead of wondering why every plugin isn't free. They take time and many months to write and the developers are losing money and support from the LW community for there great contributions.

I would like to thank Peter fo the great plug-ins he has given, and for the chance to review them and provide my feedback on them. Let's hope we continue to gain developers with his kind of technical know how, and enthusiasm for Lightwave.

Thanks Peter, and congratulations.

Donald McDade

uncommongrafx
07-26-2003, 04:39 AM
Wow, I was one of five. :shame:

The tools are awesome.

fez
07-26-2003, 05:06 AM
Guess that makes me number 2.

Stoehr
07-26-2003, 05:49 AM
Well, I'm one of those five. And I'll say, the purchase is definitely worth it.

EDIT: Shit, it was affordable, too.

Willax
07-26-2003, 05:53 AM
I'm sorry to hear that there was not a better purchase response for this product. I haven't tried it, but have seen some of the comments on it, and I know if I was a little more proficient at using LW I would probably have been a purchaser. Thanks to all those who spend their precious time writing plugins for LW. It is definitely a thankless job as evidenced by lack or purchase support.

Hellbring
07-26-2003, 06:50 AM
i was 2 out of the 5. I cant believe that little real copies were bought. I bought one for home and one for work. I couldnt see going a minute without that plugin pack.

Celshader
07-26-2003, 07:02 AM
I bought Ortho Pak 1 as well, so that makes me...what...4?

At $65, this plug-in's a steal. Just giving me the equivalent of Skelegons in Layout had me dancing in the streets!

Surely more folks must have bought this killer plug-in! :bowdown:

Shade01
07-26-2003, 07:57 AM
I'm glad it went to a good home.

3DDave
07-26-2003, 08:00 AM
I guess that makes me number 5?

It's a great tool and I enjoy supporting 3rd party developers because their tools add a unique quality to my work and output.

HCompston
07-26-2003, 08:45 AM
Maybe the numbers were a little higher as I have it as well.

H

TRick
07-26-2003, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by fourd
...Out of about 2,500 demo downloads of the Ortho Pak 1, he only generated less than five purchases...

Quite shocking...

I guess this is because just before, ACS4 was released and there are lot more people using that....me included...

Nemoid
07-26-2003, 09:19 AM
read in Nt forums that ortho's tools will be implemented in v[8]
also that Irrational Number will be in the developement team of [8].1, 2, etc.

i tried them and they are very useful. u will be able to rig completely in layout. :drool:

Voxel57
07-26-2003, 12:08 PM
Actually only a small amount of people purchased after downloading the demo.
We have a lot more than 5 users. We have 10! No Im kidding.
A large portion of our users purchased before the demo was released.
I think one reason more people did not bite on the demo is they thought this purchase was going to happen.
Although lack of sales from the demo was something we thought of when we made this move, 99.9 % of the reason was the oportunity to work directly with Newtek.
So no sour grapes here! :)
But it was an education for me as a lightwave user nevermind as a developer. I have done the same thing a lot of people who were interested in Ortho have done. Waited to see what would happen.
Timing is everything and we came out with Ortho as ACS4 came out. People made the choice for ACS4 it's a great tool. I have it!
We all have limited resources so we have to decide what will help us the most and go from there. The market is king!
The developers I think about now are people like faulknermano. This guy has consistantly GIVEN us his plugs for as long as I can remember. There are others too who write scripts and plugs just for the fun of it. They need to be thanked and supported.
We'll be fine and LW users get some great tools added to their favorite 3D app. :)

Jonathan
07-27-2003, 03:23 AM
If I could find the link, I'd purchase it right now. I'm an avid Messiah user, and from what I have seen, this rigs just like messiah easily doing away with the fallbacks of using skelegons and clumsiness of the Layout method.

Mike RB
07-27-2003, 04:16 AM
Voxel, did you ever get the animation to update the keyframes based on the joint move (much like messiah's setup mode?) And if not is it still "on the list"?

Mike

Voxel57
07-27-2003, 12:11 PM
We will be working on a lot of features that need to be added to take Ortho from a plugin to an integrated part of Lightwave.
I cant get into to it here but I do believe the results we achive down the road will make you all very happy.
One thing that we have gotten a lot of is great feedback. The people who have been using Ortho for a bit (and people who have seen it and asked "can it do this?" )have given us a good feel for what will work and what probably will not.
Value added in production has always been our goal. We have to attempt to keep the work flow simple even as the tools become more powerful. This should be a lot of fun!

Jonathan
07-27-2003, 04:01 PM
But can I buy it anywhere as of this moment? I'm serious, I will purchase it this second if I knew where to get it.

Voxel57
07-27-2003, 04:27 PM
As far as I know Jonathan you can not buy it anywhere.
Sorry.

Jonathan
07-27-2003, 07:09 PM
Damn!

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.