PDA

View Full Version : What is the reputation for Royal College of Art

taxguy
06-27-2009, 11:45 PM
I was noticing that Royal College of Art is the only solely post graduate art school in the world. What is its reputation in Europe particularly in animation? Is it considered just another art school or is it considered a premier school? Is it attached to any colleges? It doesn't seem to have that many offerings in animation when I checked, and the work posted of grads doesn't impress me.

moidphotos
06-28-2009, 11:42 PM
You can take the following as my own opinions, having never studied at the RCA, but having seen quite a few RCA animations and talked/worked with ex RCA students:

I don't know what it's opinion as an animation college is in Europe because it's hard to answer this question if you don't know about the ethos of the school - it does not produce the sorts of animation that is generally considered CGTalk friendly - in other words the animations produced demonstrate styles and ideas that rarely have anything to do with mainstream animation or photorealism. RCA animations, like many post graduate UK courses are concerned more with helping the student find new forms of expression, to generate original ideas and to make things that maybe even question how we define animation. I haven't looked at their website but if you say you don't like the look of their work you would probably be happier looking for a post graduate course that was more 3D orientated, and more commercially focused. So amongst more experimental regions of the animation world in Europe, I would strongly suspect the RCA has a good standing (indeed their students works are often shown at animation festivals); amongst commercially orientated work areas, it might be the opposite.

The RCA is probably most famous for courses like its Product Design post grad studies, which is considered one of the most important courses in the world for people who want to become car designers or luxury product designers.

It would be better if someone from the RCA commented here, but I doubt there's many RCA members on CGTalk, so that's why I've chucked my opinions in.

CGTalk Moderation
06-28-2009, 11:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.