PDA

View Full Version : Lighting just specific objects

gangshow2003
06-27-2009, 09:32 PM
Hey all.
Hopefully someone can help please :)

What im trying to do is to have different lighting on different objects. I need the default (or flat colour) lighting on some objects, and different lighting on others. I want to be able to have one white object lit with a feint grey light along side a black object lit with a feint grey light. So is there a way on Maya 2008 of specifiying lights that affect only certain objects and not others?
Also this needs to work in the side view as I cannot have perspective. Unless there is a way (which i guess there is somewhere) of switching perspective on and off when viewed from the side. As in perp view looking on the side shows perspective, yet on the side view it doesn't.

For more context of the issue i want the background to be checkered black and white squares (which need to move, thats why I cant just use a texture, they will be seperate black and white planes). And on the black squares will be a white character, with a little bit of shading just so its not completely flat! And a black character on the white squares, again shaded a little. Here is an image of what Im testing and so far it just uses the default lighting. What i need basically is this image, but with the black sphere also shaded by a greyish light.

http://img2.pict.com/73/2b/63/970316/0/shadingtest.jpg

Thanks a lot for the help in advance! Much appreciated!

Sim

Sagroth
06-27-2009, 11:24 PM
Use light linking (Lighting/Shading>Make Light Links & Break Light Links)

If your light has 'Illuminates by default' enabled - it's linked to everything by default and you can break links to specific objects. If it's disabled - light isn't linked to anything by default and you can make light links to specific objects manually. So you can make it either way.

CGTalk Moderation
06-27-2009, 11:24 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.