PDA

View Full Version : Why is my hair always white using Shave and a Haircut, in Mental Ray?

TechnicallyArtistic
06-27-2009, 05:17 AM
So I'm working on a character where I have hair assigned to curves and the character's skin has a SSS shader on it, and I'm rendering with final gather. Seems like no matter the settings I use, the hair pass comes in pure white. Anybody have any ideas why this is?

TechnicallyArtistic
06-27-2009, 09:16 AM
Ok, I figured out the cause of my problem, but not in a way that makes it go away.

It's the light settings. I have a setting of 900-500 on my various lights as far as intensity, but that's because I have them set to linear decay so they fade off. It works for all the models in the scene, but it looks like the shave hair doesn't handle the linear decay part of the light so the hair is just supper lit. Is there a way to get shave to handle that?

If I turn the lights back down it seems to render fine. Is there a way to make shave hair into geometry?

TechnicallyArtistic
06-27-2009, 09:19 AM
And never mind, yes I can, then it works, so solution found.

Marcelk
11-19-2009, 01:13 PM
How do you change shave into geometry.

oreanimate
02-09-2010, 10:42 PM
"shave select" then go into shave globals, and should be in "hair render mode" change from buffer to geometry.

Also thanks for workin through this prob and reposting what you have found def, helped me out. i was havin the same prob, thought it was a spec thing but found that solution led no where.

cheers!

TechnicallyArtistic
02-09-2010, 11:36 PM
No problem. I always try to do that because I get a lot of my info from old posts people left like this.
Or if nothing else, so if I forget I have something to go back and read.

If you're dealing with flickering issues too, which I think I might have been with rendering with Geo, I think that was a Mental Ray bug that Mental Ray just released a fix for that. I don't have the link here with me, but I can post it later if anybody happens to need that. I think it might have been a private download rather than public download though. Can't remember what exactly the deal was with that.

TheSphinx
01-24-2011, 04:48 PM
Very helpful post, thank you very much! =)

CGTalk Moderation
01-24-2011, 04:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.