PDA

View Full Version : Animate Clipping Plane?

Mylakid
06-26-2009, 07:51 PM
Is it possible to animate a clipping plane type object across a model so that during the animation your seeing the model grow? For example in this video at 00:52 seconds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRaxx2QXhjU (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRaxx2QXhjU). How do you achieve this effect in maya, I understand that animating the camera along the model with a short near clip you can achieve this effect but how would i do this without animating the camera, as shown in the linked video?

Any ideas?

thx.

Mylakid
07-03-2009, 01:56 AM
nobody knows?

Ash-Man
07-06-2009, 04:30 PM
right click on the value and choose set key

you just need to find the sweet spot where the values show in animation

Edit
make sure you render with mental ray

Mylakid
07-06-2009, 07:28 PM
Thanks Ash-Man. However, I understand how to animate the current view's clipping plane. What I'm trying to achieve is a clipping plane that you can animate through the model while the camera is stationary or spinning around the object. This would create an effect of the object growing out of thin air. The link to the video i posted earlier achieves exactly that effect at 00:52 sec.

Thanks for the help!

Ash-Man
07-06-2009, 09:00 PM
I'm not sure how he did it

but it looks like animated visabitly, one other option , is to place a planer projection with ramp (B+W) as your sahder transperncy
then move it

Mylakid
07-06-2009, 10:58 PM
Yeah. That was my last resort. :thumbsup: Very clever. Thanks a lot!

Mylakid
07-07-2009, 11:44 PM
:beer: I finally figured it out!!! So all you have to do is create a mirror cut, delete the mirror plane, select the polyCut attribute and animate it's value! So now you can spin around the object while it's being cut through. Animated sections etc.

CGTalk Moderation
07-07-2009, 11:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.