PDA

View Full Version : Day Off The Dead is a wrap!!

jdates
07-25-2003, 10:31 PM
Hello,

My name is Jeffrey Dates, and for 2 1/2 years I have Co-Directed with Lee Lanier to bring you 6 1/2 minutes of Comedic CG Noir entitled "Day Off The Dead". We just wrapped on production and have started burning DVD's and submitting to film festivals!

We have updated http://www.dayoffthedead.com with the Trailer, and a bunch of new hi-res stills.

This week at Siggraph we'll be offering a Sneak Peak of "Day Off The Dead" at the Hash booth. I'll be talking about our production and more specifically animation techniques at 5pm Tuesday and Wednesday on the floor.

I hope you all can make it.. but if not, don't worry. DOTD will be at a Film Festival near you soon! Check the website for details.

Thanks to everyone who have been emailing us with support! it's been a labor of love.. and we're excited for everyone to see it!

Thank you,

Jeffrey Dates
www.kungfukoi.com

Goon
07-25-2003, 11:23 PM
woah. I remember running across your site like, 2 years ago!
Congratulations on finishing!!:thumbsup: can't wait to see it.

Hookflash
07-25-2003, 11:35 PM
Congrats! Any chance that we'll get to download the short after you've shown it at film festivals?

MCronin
07-25-2003, 11:54 PM
Congratulations and good luck. Get it into Siggraph next year and see if you can get an Oscar nomination for it this year. Here's the Oscar rule page. Try to win a festival or get it screened in LA and submit it if you think you have a chance.

http://www.oscars.org/75academyawards/rules/rule19.html

I can't wait to see this. Please let us know when and where we might see it. Try to get it into the Chicago Film Fest. in October. I go every year. THE DEADLINE FOR ENTRY IS TODAY! Please call them and se if they'll accept it late. This film fest is pretty big, and Nicholas Cage is the honoree this year so it should be good.

http://www.chicagofilmfestival.org/cgi-bin/WebObjects/filmfest.woa/wa/go?page=ffest

jdates
07-26-2003, 06:09 AM
Thanks for all the kind words!

Hookflash-- Yeah, after we premiere it a film festival, we'll be able to host it online somewhere.

As MCronin had mentioned.. we are adhering to the Academy Consideration Rules. It would be a dream to be nominated.. so we'll see how that goes!!

MCronin-- Sorry we didn't make the deadline for the Chicago Fest... There are several festivals we wish we could have made this year.. and many we did!

At some point I hope we can have DVD's available in our online store!

Thanks for the positive responses all!
Keep checking on the progress and we'll try to land it in a theater near you!!

Jeffrey Dates
www.kungfukoi.com

EnergyMan
07-27-2003, 02:57 AM
Congrats!!
No clue if you remember my alter ego, Manimate, but it's good to see the project completed! Good luck with awards and such :D

lildragon
07-27-2003, 04:32 AM
Heya jeff, been waiting for this to conclude for sometime, will definitely stop by the Hash booth (what a wierd thing to say :surprised) for a bit and check it out. It's plugged on both cgtalk and cgnetworks.com. COngrats on seeing it through!

salud

Icarus
07-27-2003, 04:35 AM
Awosme Trailer!, The THought behind the movie seems awsome, ive always wondered what they do :)

Hope that it all goes well, and i hope the film is well recieved..

All the Best

TyR-

Pepper
07-27-2003, 06:20 AM
Awesome looking stuff.

You guys werent inspired by the game Grim Fandango by any chance were you? ;)

Shaykai
07-27-2003, 06:32 AM
awwwwwwwwwww ive been following your short for quite some time now and i was psyched that i could finally see the movie and now all i get is a trailer!!! CRUEL!!! hehe, congrats on finishing it. It looks freaking awesome.

SHaykai

skello
07-27-2003, 06:51 AM
Looking foward to seing this piece.....that dance bit just cracks me up:buttrock:

Aose
07-27-2003, 07:19 AM
Good!!!!!:love:

davidSingha
07-27-2003, 07:42 AM
Best of luck at the festival!

cheers:cool:

SDIT
07-27-2003, 09:49 AM
very cool stuff, reminds me of Grim Fandango....
luv it. :beer:
see ya at siggraph!

JamesMK
07-27-2003, 10:40 AM
Wicked! And with STYLE too! Hope to see the full thing some day.

slaughters
07-27-2003, 02:28 PM
I've always thought that the concept and trailer were hilarious. But, I can't find a plot synopsis of the short on your web site. Could you give a brief run down of the storyline (without giving away any spoilers)

swiminguy
07-27-2003, 04:14 PM
just watched the trailer

the style of this piece is awesome.......
i love the dancing

can't wait to see the whole thing

That Adrian Guy
07-27-2003, 06:20 PM
The trailor seems to have been down since last night.

I'm sure it's not just my computer

summeralive
07-27-2003, 06:30 PM
cute!!!
thats a very good character design!hope to see more!

:applause: :applause: :applause:

TieFighter
07-27-2003, 07:29 PM
Hey Jeff,

I'm really proud of you, man... you've done what many of us merely strive to. Can't wait to see the final with all the new sound treatments! Have fun at Siggraph!

On another note, I went to see Spy Kids 3-D last night and cheered when I saw your name in the credits (Under Janimation). Well done!!

For those who saw the movie, Jeff animated the shot (amongst others) where one kid grabs a frog by the tongue and snaps him back and forth towards the audience. Looked great in Stereoscopic by the way.

Congrats bud, keep up the good work. :beer:

-Will

Signal2Noise
07-28-2003, 12:52 AM
Wierd, I can only view the low-res trailer. The medium and high give me a plug-in data download error. Oh, well. From what I can tell DOTD looks like it'll be quite entertaining. Very reminiscent of LucasArts' classic "Grim Fandango".

FloydBishop
07-28-2003, 02:22 AM
Congratulations on getting the film done!!

Now promote, promote, promote!!

vampire5009
07-31-2003, 10:10 AM
:applause:
Wonderful.

jdates
08-01-2003, 02:50 AM
Wow! Such a nice response! I sure love this community!

Lildragon-- Thanks for the kudos and plugz!!

Shaykai-- We'll have a DVD availble on the website soon! And when we premiere it at a certified festival.. we'll be able to premiere it online for everyone else to see!!

slaughters-- The idea of "what the dead do on thier day off" is what we're addressing. Our film is a compilation of short vignette style storytelling elements. When they are watched in context, they tell a broader tale! Basiclly it's dead people running around in the afterlife trying to make due! (and people fall down alot)

The Adrian Guy-- It should be fixed now.. Sorry.. dunno.. must have been an ISP hiccup.

Will-- You da man!!

And to everyone else who took the time out to comment-- THANKS!!

I'm glad it's well recieved!! Thanks again all!! You make it all worth the effort! I'll keep updating the website often.. so keep checking back!!

Appreciativly,

Jdates

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.