PDA

View Full Version : Animated Logo Stills

Solace9
07-25-2003, 08:34 PM
The link bellow shows some Key points in a logo animation i'm working on.

My primary concerns are on the final image:
1. Does the marble ring work well?
2. Does the BG compliment, distract or is it just dead weight?

http://solace9ca.tripod.com/

Please, critique on any part of the images.

:beer:

L&RviaS9

Solace9
07-25-2003, 08:35 PM
Intended Use:
Video Intro/Broadcast Intro/Portfolio

Application:
Lightwave 3D 7.5
Photoshop 6

Do you really want wires?

pigwater
07-26-2003, 03:37 AM
it's rather tuff to tell if the marble thing works ... it all depends on how you have it evolve or come into the shot... post a link to the animation ...

my first gut opinion though is that it is a little heavy and overpowers the earth ...bringing up the contrast of earth might balance it out

Electrofirma
07-27-2003, 06:13 AM
I know you asked about the marble and the background... Uh, they're fine.

The thing that caught my eye and kept distracting me was the alignment of the 'i' in united. it is parallel with the 't' and just looks wrong. also I think you could use a little more space between the lower text and the stars.

There are also some highlights on the marble that I can't quite reconcile with the current lighting... wondering what's going on there.

Anyhow, keep it up, you've got a good start.

ssyed
07-28-2003, 12:24 AM
I don't like the marble.. also the i doesn't look good.. I think the text is kind of uninteresting looks like word art or something

aazimkhan
07-28-2003, 04:33 AM
I like the colors on the earth model, nice soft colors.

but the ring around it and he text( both color and font dont FIT AT ALL)

comparing to the earths look the ring, and text are way OFF.

I would suggest maybe have a white cloud like ring around the earth...
and use a sky blue color, without borders on the text.....

Solace9
07-31-2003, 05:48 AM
Thank you for the C&C so far....

Okay, a few changes have been made:
1. the "i" position has been adjusted.
2. The marble has been changed to clouds for continuation of the soft look. (previous marble had an HDRI for complex reflection, but the HDRI was out of place hence it looked a bit weird.)

Any suggestions on the font?
And, are the white letter boarders really not working?

Bottom Picture:
http://solace9ca.tripod.com/

L&R,
S9

Solace9
07-31-2003, 07:13 AM
Whoops.
Okay, i had to publish the picture update.
So, now you can see what i'm talking about on the tripod link above.

:rolleyes:

L&R,
S9

RichardB
07-31-2003, 11:32 AM
Dear Solace9

My feeling is you're putting the ring and the marble in to compensate for the text which isn't working - it's all very busy and you're adding to it rather than simplifying it.

You're right to go with a serif face, but you should rethink the font: certainly the space between the letters (the kerning) is too cramped, when you add a white outline the whole effect just becomes busy.

Try reducing the size of the text and allowing more space for each letter to breathe, perhaps try another face (Perhaps large and small caps like a Copperplate ? ) and lighten the colour of the text so you don't need the white outline.
You'll be suprised at how small the text can get and still be legible.

Also I'm not 100% sold on those stars... maybe just spheres would give the logo a more solid look.

I think the logo is good, but the tone of it is right on the edge... when I saw the first three images I thought 'Okay, this is cool,... it's a funky MTV interstitial', I was suprised when it turned out to be a religious organisation: it seemed to lack gravitas.
The cartoony Earth is fine, adding cartoony stars seems to me a bit much.

Hth
Rb

Solace9
07-31-2003, 09:31 PM
RichardB:
Good critique about the font and style, but esp on the part about how i was adding complexity rather than making the basics top notch. Good call.

A new image is uploaded to the tripod site. Bottom picture.
The changes are:
1. Ring: no coulds or transparent blue outer ring. Simplified to a golden outer ring.
Purpose: Complex surface quality, simple shape. and continues the yellow of the earth surface while being less bright... sedondary focus.
2. Stars: there are no more funny little stars. They were from the static logo design, but were too cartoony here. Now gold orbs are used to replace them.
Purpose: See ring writtign for effect.
3. Text: a.) Cel shader is taken off, b.) no edge renders, and c.) the "n" in "United" has a fixed rotation.
Purpose: a.)The text now has a smooth shade and spec/gloss across the word fronts, adding interesting shades. b.) cleaner letter font visibility, and c.) more uniform alignment.

I still have to work on a font... and i'll probably turn the bottom letter part into an italicized version with smaller fontSize.

Great comments.
More plz. :)

L&R,
Micah

RichardB
08-01-2003, 11:18 AM
Dear Micah

Well done, I think it looks much better.

The only thing that catches my eye now is the lettering is still too cramped, to me it loks like it's been squeezed and squashed into the circle: if you made it smaller, and had a little more space between letters, it would help. The bottom line (an International Association)suffers especially from this.

There should be more space betwent he start and end of the text and the gold orbs. (good looking orbs, by the way...)

Try this as an experiment: shrink the font size so the height is the same as the diameter of the orbs. Space out the lettering so it still fits the circle. Perhaps have the upper line in bold caps.

This may be extreme, but it will give you the 'other side' of the equation: at the moment you know how large the font can be and still fit in: if you make the font the same size as the orbs you'll know how small it can be, you can then start playing with variations.

Good luck
Rb

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.