PDA

View Full Version : Toon shader and lighting

Cousine
06-25-2009, 07:08 PM
Hello everyone,

I have been around modo since 102 and i have become emotionally attached to its simple workbench, however :D, i am no pro in 3D, so it took me about 3 years to actually get dirty and come out with something that looks acceptable (at least for me :D).

I have been working on a school project and wanted to spice it up with a toon model of our mascot, and i think i pretty much nailed most of the head (though my wireframe is a little messy :D).

Now my problem is rendering, i used cel/toon shader off vertex monkey, but still its not looking right, also my lighting sucks, since am using directional lighting and cant set up decent global illumination.

Basically wat i want to achieve is something like team fortress 2 look, or animation film, just a nice and quiet lighting effect with a toon shader that is warm. so any ideas on how to accomplish that in modo ??

charleslin
06-25-2009, 08:11 PM
I'm not a lighting pro, but I don't think they used a "cell shader" to achieve the look in teamfortress2. I think had something to do with layering a warped diffuse with ambient lighting to get a certain occlusion. Then they took that occlusion and multiplied it against a color diffuse pass.
...or something like that.

I believe this document might explain it in more detail.
Illustrative Rendering in Team Fortress 2. (http://www.valvesoftware.com/publications/2007/NPAR07_IllustrativeRenderingInTeamFortress2.pdf)

Sorry I don't know any more info than that, but I hope it helps.

Cousine
06-25-2009, 11:00 PM
I'm not a lighting pro, but I don't think they used a "cell shader" to achieve the look in teamfortress2. I think had something to do with layering a warped diffuse with ambient lighting to get a certain occlusion. Then they took that occlusion and multiplied it against a color diffuse pass.
...or something like that.

I believe this document might explain it in more detail.
Illustrative Rendering in Team Fortress 2. (http://www.valvesoftware.com/publications/2007/NPAR07_IllustrativeRenderingInTeamFortress2.pdf)

Sorry I don't know any more info than that, but I hope it helps.

Thx charleslin :D:D, that did help, i made some modifications and i think i reached my goal :D

CGTalk Moderation
06-25-2009, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.