PDA

View Full Version : Dante and EIAS 8

AzOne
06-25-2009, 03:59 PM
Has anyone got Dante running under EIAS v8?

I made a small disc as an emission surface. In Animator's preview window the particles seem to come out right. But when rendering, all I get is a screen of a single colour (the colour of the particles as set in Animator). Very odd. I'd attach a screen shot but its just a rectangle of blue for 5 seconds, so no point really.

gyro
06-25-2009, 06:57 PM
Just tried a test and it works fine for me. No suggestions as to what's up with yours though, sorry.

Cheers
DaveW

halfworld
06-25-2009, 07:17 PM
Mac/PC?

Give Blair an email...
He has the sample projects updated to EIAS 8, maybe they will help...

Best,
Ian

brianwhitecc
06-25-2009, 07:33 PM
I have tried it in version 8 with some basic projects and it seems to work ok, but it still will not work with Renderama. It renders the first few frames then Camera will get an error. It's the same problem that existed with version 7 that was supposedly fixed. No solution yet.

brian

gyro
06-25-2009, 07:49 PM
just tried a couple of tests using renderama and that also seems to work fine for me (mac).

Cheers
DaveW

AzOne
06-26-2009, 05:08 AM
Hi Everyone,
EIAS v8 is on a MacMini Intel, 4GB RAM, 1.9 GB to Camera. Dante version 3.1
Link to project file is here:

http://www.geocities.com/aziz_cg/Dantetest/Disc_DanteFiles.zip

Thanks.

Extra note: I just downloaded the Dante samples from the NL3D website. They open fine, but even after relinking plug-ins, models, shaders and textures, Dante does not emit anything. I tried Dante on my PPC Mac with EIAS v7 and it works fine.

AzOne
06-26-2009, 09:20 AM
Okay, managed to get Dante to emit teapot models from an unexported Ubershape plane on my Intel MacMini. That's a relief :)

Legacy projects still behaving oddly. Might have to do with the version of Dante used in the NL3D sample files (i.e. v3) and the version I have (v.3.1). Intel and PPC may also factor into it.

Anyway, thanks for everyone's feedback.

gyro
06-26-2009, 09:23 AM
Just as a quickie first reply,i'm at work, so can't give it a longer look until this evening.

In the "Particle Types" top tab uncheck the 'scale size based on particle energy' boxes. This will let you see the particles. But then there's something else going on with wierd emission behaviour. On the "General Settings" top tab uncheck 'enable interframe emissions' and it behaves better.

Cheers
DaveW

brianwhitecc
06-29-2009, 12:46 PM
just tried a couple of tests using renderama and that also seems to work fine for me (mac).

Dave - did you really get to work with Renderama? I've been trying to get it work for over a year. If you have a minute, can you go over the tests you were able to run successfully.

Dante seems to work fine from within EI then I check the "Renderama Mode" it creates the database file, I copy the db to all the slave sockets folders, then Render.

It will render the first 2-3 frames and then each Camera will get the error:
"Reading particle data: Plug-in could not allocate needed memory,...

The same project will render without issue from within EI, I only get the problem after I check "Renderama Mode"

thanks!
brian

gyro
06-30-2009, 01:32 PM
Hi Brian

Here's a simple test project that Renders fine using renderama (on both an 8-core and a macbook pro). Just a one poly emitter chucking out teapots. Before you render set the time slider to 0 and run a preview to screen. This primes dante with the correct particle positions for each frame. Then render using Renderama as you would for any other project.

You don't generally need to use particle database files unless you want the shot to start half way through a complex particle effect, as it saves having to do the above preview through frames you won't be rendering (which can take some time). Even then you don't need to copy it to slaves.

I don't know what the "General Settings/particle database/renderama mode" button does.

edit: I make sure I leave a big chunk of ram unallocated (1GBish) as that stopped the memory warnings.

Project at:
files.me.com/dave.woolard/oxx3jw

Cheers
DaveW

brianwhitecc
06-30-2009, 06:09 PM
Hi Dave, thanks for the info.

I got this to work with 1 slave Camera, but not for multiple Cameras. I set up a simple scene, previewed the project from frame 0 with drop frames turned off. Sent it to Renderama attempting render with 8 Cameras. Each Camera gets an error:

"Reading scratch data: Plug-in could not allocate needed memory, File:/Development..."

if you keep hitting OK it will render, but the particle locations are out of order.

http://gallery.me.com/brianwhite3#100015/Project8anim06_264&bgcolor=white

This was the original reason for "Renderama Mode", to give each Slave Camera the location of each particle on each frame. It worked perfectly in 652, but has been broken since 7. For some reason Camera 7+ cannot read the database file generated by Dante.

were you able render with multiple Cameras? and have the particles in the correct order?

thanks
brian

gyro
06-30-2009, 07:17 PM
Hi Brian

I got rid of the - "Reading scratch data: Plug-in could not allocate needed memory, File:/Development..." - error by reducing the camera memory allocation to the point it went away. If you do that then you won't get the error and the particles will stay in sequence.

Brian said:
"were you able render with multiple Cameras? and have the particles in the correct order?"

Yes, on an 8-core, also separately on a 2-core laptop. The .img file in the example project .zip was rendered on renderama with multi cameras. I haven't tried to do anything V complex in V8, only these tests.

Cheers
DaveW

brianwhitecc
07-01-2009, 12:39 PM
Thanks Dave,

it's good to know it will work, but what if you need the memory to render?

brian

CGTalk Moderation
07-01-2009, 12:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.