PDA

View Full Version : Dangling Objects - looking for a how to

Stoehr
07-25-2003, 08:11 PM
Alright, here's the scenario:
1. I have a character who has armor around his waist.
2. The thigh and hamstring pads are to hang from his hip armor. 3. The thigh/hamstring pads are parented to the hip pads and the hip pads are parented to the Hips bone.
4. The hierarchy is setup with a relations constraint to have delayed motion (dampened), same as on the 3DBuzz VTM's. So the pads sway as the Hips effector is dragged around. This is good so far.

Now the kicker:
5. The pads should always want to point "down" as though gravity were forced on them. They should "dangle" like a rope, since they are help together with leather straps. I'm not worried about the pads going through the legs, I'll use an IK constraint to keep this from happening.

In summary:
1. When the Hips Effector translates, the armor will translate with a delay, causing it to ebb and flow with the Hips effector (this is good).
2. When the Hips effector rotates, the pads should not rotate, but they should but act as though gravity were upon them.

Now that I've written all of this, I think I have a solution, but since I've come this far in writing I wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts.

http://www.theladyandthelion.com/forumPosts/MBarmorQuestion.jpg

LFGabel
07-26-2003, 08:43 AM
I'd add a relation constraint to the rotation, essentially lock out the rotation entirely... If Iunderstand you correctly.

3DDave
07-28-2003, 11:08 PM
Use a vector to number conversion node, you can select the values that you want to connect and send to the receiver nodes. So if you don't want Y rotation, don't connect it!

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.