PDA

View Full Version : uh oh... NTLDR Missing on my new computer... =(

Digiegg
07-25-2003, 06:23 PM
Okay, I'm posting a new one so I can get more replies.
First I couldn't get my power to turn on but fixed that.
Now I tried to install Windows XP, it won't.
My harddrive is FORMATTED. Nothing is in there.
When I boot the computer, I get the Asus Ai logo picture and then goes on to NTLDR Missing.
I have a IDE. I do not get the blue screen Greg Hess mentioned so I can't press F6.
I've read posts about other NTLDR but seems like it doesn't apply to me.
Should I try to boot with windows XP boot CD from bootdisk.de?
Any suggestions on fixing this error?

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75909
my computer spec.

Mine is harddrive is NTFS.

Digiegg
07-25-2003, 06:40 PM
okay.. the xp boot up disk didn't work..
I put it in and it tells me to insert a boot device even though it was reading the a drive with the xp boot up disk in it. sigh... this sucks..

loop29
07-25-2003, 07:42 PM
Select CDROM as primary boot device in bios, sounds like you have floppy selected right now, then it should boot up the XP disc. Did you installed XP on that harddrive before? Normally missing ntldr file missing indicates that it doesn´t detect the correct startup partition from the harddrive. You can force a PC to do this if you add another harddrive on IDE 0 and it takes the primary partition from the new installed harddrive as partition C:\ and seeks for the ndlr which is obviously not there (in case you partitioned that hd before).

regards

Digiegg
07-25-2003, 08:01 PM
I've tried that. Same thing.
Right now I'm going to Best Buy to get some new rams. I want to see if the Rams are the ones giving me all these problems i've had. While I'm at the store, please do post up more information.
Thanks

GregHess
07-25-2003, 08:30 PM
Nissan,

Make sure that the ONLY boot method available in the BIOS is the CDROM (For the initial bootup).

You will have to PRESS A KEY to boot to the cdrom. Don't put the cdrom in, boot, and walk out of the room...it'll just give an error.

You should see something like thing....

CDROM Boot Sector....

........press any key to boot from the CD

And if you press any key, it'll start the XP installation process off the cdrom.

If you don't, it'll fail.

If you don't see any of this information...something is wrong with either your CDROM drive and its connection to the motherboard.

Make sure its both being detected, and that its jumpers are set correctly.

Digiegg
07-25-2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by GregHess
Nissan,

Make sure that the ONLY boot method available in the BIOS is the CDROM (For the initial bootup).

You will have to PRESS A KEY to boot to the cdrom. Don't put the cdrom in, boot, and walk out of the room...it'll just give an error.

You should see something like thing....

CDROM Boot Sector....

........press any key to boot from the CD

And if you press any key, it'll start the XP installation process off the cdrom.

If you don't, it'll fail.

If you don't see any of this information...something is wrong with either your CDROM drive and its connection to the motherboard.

Make sure its both being detected, and that its jumpers are set correctly.

Okay, I tried that. Set the 1st boot drive as my CD ROM drive.
It keeps telling me to put in a boot device. I push enter, and it gives me that again.

So I checked to see if my CD ROM drive was on MASTER and yes it was. I took my second CD ROM drive out. Just changed RAM to samsung one which asus recommended. I tried everything and it's not working. What should I try now?

It now keeps telling me:
Reboot and Select proper Boot Device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key.

DaForce
07-26-2003, 12:24 AM
Can you hear the harddrive spin up when you turn the machine on?

Digiegg
07-26-2003, 12:32 AM
yes

GregHess
07-26-2003, 01:25 AM
Contact a professional, or have a friend aid you in the installation.

I can't really think of anything else without actually viewing the machine. I'm sure its something pretty simple...but easily overlooked :(.

DaForce
07-26-2003, 03:50 AM
Is it possible that you windows XP cd is not a bootable CD. Have you verified that the cdrom actually works?? like on another computer.

Also does the bios detect the cdrom? on the screen where it has the harddrives.

singularity2006
07-26-2003, 06:09 AM
be sure ur not using an UGPRADE copy of the CD.. those DO NOT BOOT and work only within Windows.

Digiegg
07-26-2003, 12:55 PM
what files are supposed to be in the cd?
Not the folders but the files. Which ones are supposed to load it up? Isn't it just setup.exe? My friend tried loading that and it said "This can not be run in MS DOS Prompt".

GregHess
07-26-2003, 02:08 PM
That better be a legit Windows XP CD...

I would be so upset if you kept having installation problems because you copied someone elses.

It should be an OFFICAL microsoft CD, holograms and all, FULL version, NOT UPGRADE.

You should just be able to boot to it. If you can't...something is wrong and needs to be looked at.

DaForce
07-26-2003, 02:35 PM
Its not setup.exe, the file you need to run is actually in the i386 folder and from memory and its called winnt or winnt32, im not sure which one.....cant remember

By the sounds of it the copy XP that you have is either a crap pirate copy (bad bad bad) or an upgrade copy, in which case it wont work unless there is a previous version of windows already installed.

unclebob
07-26-2003, 07:40 PM
Is the "first" physical drive in BIOS drive 0 and not drive 1... this could cause funky things to happen too (experience talking .. LOL)

yeah... installing Windows is a baby sitting job, ya gotta be by its side.

Digiegg
07-26-2003, 08:22 PM
Now whatever windows CD I put in, it gives me NTLDR is Missing error. Sigh... what to do.. what to do..
How do I run the ms dos promt from here?
anyone know? I want to try to go in the cd manually and doing it now.

Digiegg
07-27-2003, 12:35 AM
Nevermind.. it was a bad cd... haha it's working now

DaForce
07-27-2003, 02:14 AM
haha Thought so

Digiegg
07-27-2003, 03:43 AM
Thanks alot guys =)
Computer is HOT!!!

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.