PDA

View Full Version : Low poly skinning problems

WhiteMage
06-25-2009, 06:23 AM
So I have this low poly character, he's short and not really the skinny type. I can get most joints right except the shoulders. They are deforming rather well for most rotations but when it comes to lifting the arm up (the clavicle is also moving up) to grab something above his head (elbow pointing forward and to the side, as should be) I *always* get nasty skinning problems, no matter how hard I try.

So my question is: is it necessary to use skin morph at this point? When watching Paul Neale's rigging DVD on skinning he was talking about how skin morph wasn't the best solution for shoulders and 3 joints type deformations.

Are there other tips for low poly shoulders I don't know about?

I look forward on hearing from the experts on this! :)

Cactus Dan
06-27-2009, 03:06 PM
Howdy,

Take a look at this thread:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=54&t=705583&highlight=flip+shoulder

Adios,
Cactus Dan

WhiteMage
06-30-2009, 10:43 AM
Hi Cactus Dan, thanks for the link. Do you have a working 3dsmax version of your proposed solution? You did post a maya version, but nothing for 3dsmax and I'm having a hard time making it work. mberglund said he had it working and I've PMed him, but no answer so far.

Cactus Dan
06-30-2009, 02:14 PM
Howdy,

Sorry, but I don't have 3ds Max, and I only have the Maya PLE version (personal learning edition). I think Autodesk got rid of all the PLE versions, now. I don't know if there ever was a PLE version of 3ds Max?

Does Max have an aim constraint that has an up vector that you can align to an axis of another object? That's how the setup works. If it doesn't have that, you probably could wire up an expression to do that.

Adios,
Cactus Dan

WhiteMage
07-01-2009, 02:24 AM
I think I got it working right in 3dsmax. Could you have a look and let me know if it is indeed what it's supposed to be doing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m_zF0y2P9k

It's a really clever solution btw, how did you come up with this?

Thanks!

Cactus Dan
07-13-2009, 11:55 PM
Howdy,

Well, since I've been programming my own rigging plugins (one of them being my CD Constraints plugin) I've learned what problems are involved in the math used to create the constraints. So I've found myself using the aim constraint a lot more often in rigging rather than trying to use rotational calculation expressions.

The aim constraint really comes in handy for solving mechanical rigging problems. ;)

Adios,
Cactus Dan

CGTalk Moderation
07-13-2009, 11:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.