PDA

View Full Version : My attempt at "Epic" and viral marketing

archerx
06-25-2009, 05:04 AM
http://www.archerx.com/strockcg.jpg

Hey guys, I used to be really into CG a few years back until I got into an the cinema department in an art school that didn't like cg at all, they would even tell me that i'd automatically fail if I used CG so I dropped CG.

It was good I needed a break because it was starting to get on my nerves. I still did side projects but it would be many months between times I'd open a 3d app.

Now I'm done with that school trying to break it out on my own and still love CG but now everything is better because all that time I wasn't learning about CG I was learning about different arts and the world and amazingly it's helped me in my CG I guess.

Some one said CG is not like riding a bicycle, I disagree, I got back into it quickly and made this little ad. It's for my company, I sell hats, (I know... :P ) and want to use CG to help me with sales so I'm attempting a viral marketing thingy.

Before I'd like to know what you guys think of it. The idea came to me one morning very vividly and I wrote it down. As my initiation test I decided to see if I could do it and this is what I got.

The helicopter, shuttle and boat models are not mine, I downloaded them from various CG resource sites and I made sure no rights are being violated. (I don't like modeling nor have the time for it)

If it's successful I'll keep making little shorts to drive sales, It's an interesting way to make a living from CG.

Crits & Comments most welcomed so I can fix what needs fixing before I try to mass distribute it :) .

Sorry if the thread is long. Here's the link to the animation in HD http://www.archerx.com/strockadfin.wmv

archerx
06-27-2009, 10:01 AM
Nothing? :(

archerx
06-30-2009, 08:51 AM
No replies at all, could it be that bad or just that uninspired. Oh well my last bump.

marul
06-30-2009, 11:13 AM
403 Permission Denied

You do not have permission for this request /strockadfin.wmv

mistasam02
06-30-2009, 05:41 PM
Artistically it has awesome style to it, but as an ad I don't see it working at all. I love the lighting overall. Everything is very moody and definitely has emotion. The woman's hand coming out of the water was creepy at first but then I saw that the helicopter was trying to save her.. but couldn't because the universe was against them? LOL I duno what happened really. The only problem is that I don't see hats having anything to do with it, and the photos at the end came as a surprise. You have artistic vision, and at least know how to use the software and make something cool.. you just need something more relevant to your business. Hope this helps. Keep it up dude! Don't listen to people who tell you to stop if it's what you want to do. :thumbsup:

zres
07-01-2009, 03:19 AM
the story is absurd and I don't understand the message in your movie, but the effect is nice

archerx
07-02-2009, 12:26 AM
@marul

Sorry I banned Turkey from my servers. It's nothing personal but I just got sick of dealing with all those nationalistic script kiddies. You can use mysql injection scripts, wow, I'm not impressed.

@mistasam02

Thank you for the kind words, I wanted the story to be very abstract so the user fills in the blank themselves. I know the hats seem like a second thought but I didn't want to do another boring ad. I took a bit of inspiration for all the perfume ads which have nothing to do about perfume.

Thanks again for your comments.

@zres

The message is life is absurd and no matter how hard you try to understand it, something else will happen to make you question everything even more.

CGTalk Moderation
07-02-2009, 12:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.