PDA

View Full Version : Is Maya incapable of rendering 16-bit images?

Hamburger
06-25-2009, 01:36 AM
I'm using 2009 and mr, it's impossible to get a readable 16bit image file out of Maya, well it seems to be converting back down to 8-bit somewhere.

Tiff - Does not work
Tiff Uncompressed - Does not work
EXR - Does not work
PSD Layered - Does not work
PSD - Does not work
TGA - Does not work

RGB Short (3x16 Bit) - Does not work
RGBA Half (4x16 Bit) - Does not work

Is it just me...or just Photoshop CS4 and ImfDisp and FCheck?

nfrancisj
06-25-2009, 03:32 AM
hiya !!

Are you rendering single frames (from the renderView) or are you rendering using the BatchRender ?

I think you only see changes from the buffer when you do a batch render.
Try :

4x16 RGBA and render using the BatchRender

works for me!!!

:lightbulb

Hamburger
06-25-2009, 03:53 AM
Yes, Batch Render.

32bit always works for me, but nothing works when set to 16bit. What image editor are you using to confirm the bit depth of the image?

nfrancisj
06-25-2009, 04:56 AM
crappp!!! I spoke too soon...

Now I can''t render 32bit... whats going on:shrug:

2 weeks ago I rendered a shot using 16 bit. I'm using photoshop.

nfrancisj
06-25-2009, 05:26 AM
ok.....

I tried a program called Acdsee and it seems to give me the correct info...
Whheeww !!! I though I broke Maya...hahaha!

See if u can get Acdsee... it gives the correct bit depth.

just out of curiosity...why do u wanna render in 16bit. you get a wider range of values using 32bit.:D

chronic
06-25-2009, 01:17 PM
4x16 half exr has always worked for me, i check my images in nuke or fusion to be 100% sure everything is working.

16 vs 32 - for most compositing work, 32bit is not necessary, 16bit has such a wide range already; 32bit only adds increased file size, and increased cpu processing.

nfrancisj
06-26-2009, 12:45 AM
thats true....tho I prefer 32b. :thumbsup:

anyway...I have a question for you...hahaha how do you check the image bit depth in NUke?
I think there is a setting in Photoshop that resamples the image so that it reads in as 8bit, but if its a 32bit it doesn't resample it. Im sure maya is cableable of sending out 16bit...but I don't know if it writes it correctly for photoshop or other softs to use it. :shrug:

If you do find out...please let me know....

Thanks !!!

--N!K--

Hamburger
06-26-2009, 01:37 AM
. Im sure maya is cableable of sending out 16bit...but I don't know if it writes it correctly for photoshop or other softs to use it. :shrug:

I think this might be the case. but the problem is who is to blame, who to report this bug too?

Adobe, Autodesk, mental images? Of course no one will admit it is their problem!

Is someone else able check 16-bit images if they are proper 16-bit files in something like imfDisp or fcheck (comes with Maya obviously).

Hamburger
06-26-2009, 08:06 AM
render out 16bit half exr even with 3 channels. open it in imfDisp and it'll say 32bit 4 channel rgba.

Hamburger
07-14-2009, 02:32 AM
Maya 2009 Passes do not work at all (to PS CS4) in a native exr render straight from Maya.

However.

If you open the image in ImfDisp.exe (supplied with Maya), resave over the exact image. Then Photoshop is able to read this exr now.

Why is this? Is this a bug with Maya?

cgbeige
07-14-2009, 02:35 AM
16-bit RGBA short TIFF work for me and Photoshop but I have to use batch render.

nfrancisj
07-14-2009, 03:38 AM
I have an answer for you buddy. It is a bug in 2009. I downloaded the sp1 from the autodesk site and it now works for me. :applause:

Hamburger
07-14-2009, 04:01 AM
16-bit RGBA short TIFF work for me and Photoshop but I have to use batch render.

yes batch render of course, but exr and 32 bit passes will not work in Photoshop until you resave them with ImfDisp

I have an answer for you buddy. It is a bug in 2009. I downloaded the sp1 from the autodesk site and it now works for me. :applause:

I have SP1a installed too.

Here are the unwritten rules of Maya

1) thou passes shall not work if thy format is something other than exr float format
2) 32bit exr passes are completely black when opened in Photoshop. Until thy resaves thee in imfDisp, (32bit masterbeuaty is the only pass that works straight from Maya)
3) 16bit float renders are actually 32bit floats according to imfDisp and Photoshop

CGTalk Moderation
07-14-2009, 04:01 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.