PDA

View Full Version : Help! Animation appears cropped on my TV

DurdyMaksim
06-24-2009, 10:56 PM
I recently finished an animation in Maya and went to burn it onto a dvd at NTSC 720X480. When I played it on dvd players the picture appears cropped (top, bottom, left and right sides are cut off). I tried converting the animation to 640X480 and so forth but the burners I have been using only let me burn at 720X480 and the same thing happens. How can I work around this problem to make my whole animation fit on the tv screen??

BruceCLin
06-24-2009, 11:39 PM
It's due to safe area of tv. You should compose your frame with that in mind.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Title_safe

aesir
06-24-2009, 11:39 PM
A lot of TVs have a zoom/widescreen/fullscreen mode. Look on the controller. Maybe you're in zoom.

nfrancisj
06-25-2009, 03:38 AM
Yup Yup ! I think Bruce is right....

Turn on the resolution gate in maya and also turn on the safe title and safe action. Make sure all your animation takes place in the safe action.

I'm not 100% sure but I think if your writing to DVD you need to render @ DV 720x486 with a image aspect of .9. Look it up ;)

DurdyMaksim
06-25-2009, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys! Now I know what to do in the future but is there any way that yall can think of to convert the animation that I have so that it will all show? Its 3500 frames so to rerender the whole thing would be VERY time consuming. Thanks in advance!

InfernalDarkness
06-25-2009, 08:45 PM
...your frames in Photoshop (Actions) or in another tool, such as XnView. Then you'll merely have to recomposite the thing, instead of re-render it.

That is, batch-process the resizing.

nfrancisj
06-26-2009, 12:50 AM
the best way I think would be to do it in AfterEffects. Make sure to turn on the Safe Action and title and then scale up your image so everything will fit. I might even do a few tests to find out how much actually gets cut on your TV.

Unfortunatly you will have to crop your seq. because you do want to keep the same aspect.
Its just a matter of positioning what part of the image you would like to have visible. UMmm maybe also you can animate the position (like pan and scan) so that you can move around the image

Cheers..Let me know how it turn out

--N!K__

CGTalk Moderation
06-26-2009, 12:50 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.