PDA

View Full Version : James Cameron Previews 24 Minutes of Avatar!

luispages
06-24-2009, 08:16 PM
http://www.marketsaw.blogspot.com/
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/avatarnews.php?id=56535
http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/06/23/early-buzz-24-minutes-of-james-camerons-avatar-screened/

Shletten
06-24-2009, 08:36 PM
It was about time someone post this, I didn't dare to do it by myself. I'd recommend everyone to go http://www.marketsaw.blogspot.com instead though... This being said, I am freaking excited by all the comments! My most anticipated movie of the year.

Pufferfish
06-24-2009, 08:49 PM
A must see movie for sure. I can't even wait for the trailer :)

Bucket
06-24-2009, 08:57 PM
Topic should probably read. Comments from people who saw a 24 minute preview of Cameron's avatar movie. Nothing to see but some pictures...

xsitar
06-24-2009, 10:10 PM
All I've heard from James Cameron so far is how amazing the 3D is and Technology behind it and blah blah. But what about the story?

If it's just another 3D movie resembling a computer game without much substance I might as well go watch a Michael Bay or Roland Emmerich movie.

The generic looking Mecha, vehicles and aircrafts from Avatar I've seen so far disappointed me. It looks dated.

But of course once the trailer and movie is out it will be better to judge.

curbsidebandit
06-24-2009, 10:44 PM
I think people are crossing their fingers for Cameron to show the footage at comic con which I guess happens next month .

Lone Deranger
06-25-2009, 12:03 AM
You have seen nothing.... I assure you. :)

The generic looking Mecha, vehicles and aircrafts from Avatar I've seen so far disappointed me. It looks dated.

curbsidebandit
06-25-2009, 01:05 AM
Lone Deranger, you tease :D!

Yeah, I think people are making judgments too early based on three or four drawings, which I thought were fine - there’s a mech, and guess what, it looks like a mech! I have faith in Cameron, and I think all his movies have been enjoyable.

Capel
06-25-2009, 01:29 AM
At this point, if Avatar doesn't deliver I will be shocked. This isn't like the John Gaeta "Matrix photoreal Neo and Agent Smith" fiasco where he assured everyone you wouldn't be able to tell they were cg. Then the trailer came out and they looked really really really cg.

So far everyone that has seen the Avatar footage has sworn up and down it will revolutionize visual effects, so it's almost impossible that it won't. Quotes like "Believe the hype" make me hopeful.

But I'm still keeping my fingers crossed, just in case.

Boone
06-25-2009, 11:23 AM
To be honest, I couldn't really care for this 24 minute preview. I don't get to see it so how can I possibly be excited about it? :hmm:

Come on Cameron - out with the goods and show us a trailer! :cool:

xsitar
06-25-2009, 01:12 PM
So far everyone that has seen the Avatar footage has sworn up and down it will revolutionize visual effects, so it's almost impossible that it won't.

But I'm still keeping my fingers crossed, just in case.

So is this movie all about visual effects and cpu power then?

RobertoOrtiz
06-25-2009, 03:24 PM
Guys

This is James Cameron.

He gets the concept of good characters. I am sure the FX will be groundbreaking, but I am also sure he will blow us away with the story.

-R

richcz3
06-25-2009, 04:28 PM
To be honest, I couldn't really care for this 24 minute preview. I don't get to see it so how can I possibly be excited about it? :hmm:

Come on Cameron - out with the goods and show us a trailer! :cool:
I would have to agree. For me there's been way too much talk and speculation too soon before the movies release. More importantly most of the talk is about the technology and effects which (for me) does not a good movie make. Mr. Cameron......Beyond the latest/greatest 3D cinema effects, is there a compelling story?

kelgy
06-25-2009, 04:53 PM
I really liked the first Terminator but I wasnt a huge fan of any of his other movies, although they were great for groundbreaking visuals and action and worth watching for that alone(I think his movies lost something after Gale Anne Hurd left the picture--and her influence is probably one major reason why the Hulk 08 had normal competent storytelling values). I didnt like True Lies or Titanic.

I feel that after Titanic being top box office champ and winning all sorts of awards he didnt want to go and do another normal film that would be less of an achievement than that(although he did talk about doing an alien film with Ridley Scott at one point).
The top 3d film of all time would be something unique, groundbreaking and unaffected by the shadow of Titanic.
There really isnt much new under the sun story wise, and he seemed to gravitate towards very old fashioned good vs evil, black and white themes (Alien 3 and Terminator 3 messed with his happy endings). I expect more of the same.
Dances with Wolves in outer space maybe.

playmesumch00ns
06-25-2009, 05:13 PM
Word from down under is that when it's good, it's breathtaking. I wonder how they're going to be able to keep the quality up for the number of shots still to do.

I also wonder how many TDs they're going to kill getting it finished :)

Shletten
06-25-2009, 06:03 PM
Very interesting letter from a production crew worker: here on Marketsaw (http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2009/06/avatar-letter-from-crewperson.html#disqus_thread)

Sorry, but I don't agree with you xsitar:
Regarding the “clunky robot” look of the ampsuit, there are many logical reasons for it. As now, the military gets stuff that has been in development for quite a while, and then takes time to manufacture and more to work out the inevitable bugs. Once something does function more or less reliably, there are budgetary considerations in replacing it. We’re still flying B-52s, for God’s sake! The same goes for firearms – the M16 is half a century old! All our guns are indeed projectile weapons: simply refinements of the assault rifles and machineguns in use today. (But there are some “interesting” refinements to be seen.) Jim has given a lot of thought to mechanical engineering requirements in the design of the various mechanisms seen in the movie.The Pandoran plants and animals more than make up for the lack of alieness in the Na’vi. Real horses were used to capture the motion of the Na’vi’s mounts, so they look absolutely real at a full gallop. Videos of various terrestrial birds and animals were studied to develop the movements of the other Pandoran animals, and they too are completely believable. Unfortunately, I can’t mention anything more than what is in the scriptment or in the just released game screenshots, but the viperwolves (what the guy called “dogs” above) are far more nasty than their Earthly counterparts, and there are many animals far worse than them on Pandora. The “panther” is called a “thanator” and can eat a viperwolf for a snak. The horned creatures are “sturmbeasts”, and are kind of like buffalos. Like the machinery, the biological engineering of the animals has not been ignored. You will believe they are living on some planet somewhere in the universe. (Then again, perhaps Jim didn’t invent any of them – he just remembered what he had seen elsewhere, because he’s really an alien.)_________
Lone Deranger, are you authorized to at least say the resolution of the footages? I heard it's 2K? It might be better that way, this movie is stereoscopic and there so much CGI that 4K or more would be a pain I guess.

rblitz7
06-25-2009, 06:37 PM
I didnt like True Lies or Titanic.
:eek: :eek: Didn't like Titanic?!?! You heartless bastard! haha jk but yeah I agree not all of his movies are masterpieces, I thought The abyss was boring as hell. But as the director and writer of the first two terminators and Titanic he's still a god in my book. I'm eagerly awaiting the release of Avatar.

SmallPoly
06-25-2009, 06:53 PM
I didn't realize at first that there were two "Avatar" movies coming out. I've known about the Avatar: The Last Airbender movie for a while now, and also heard that the Avatar movie would have groundbreaking CG. I just didn't realize that I was hearing about two different movies...

The best use of non-gimmicky stereo 3d I've seen so far has been in Coraline, so I'm interested in seeing how this one goes.

Boone
06-25-2009, 06:59 PM
Re; playmesumch00ns.

Well, thats the difference between Cameron and most other directors - he seems to plan his VFX better.

CHRiTTeR
06-25-2009, 07:00 PM
looks like the cg in this movie is going to look like those uberdetailed zbrush sculptures you see from time to time and where you think 'imagine that kind of quality and detail in a movie!'

:eek:

AIR
06-25-2009, 07:34 PM
Just cant wait enough for the movie, James Cameron is genius!!

luispages
06-25-2009, 07:49 PM
Word from down under is that when it's good, it's breathtaking. I wonder how they're going to be able to keep the quality up for the number of shots still to do.

I also wonder how many TDs they're going to kill getting it finished :)

We are all still standing, and its definitely worth it ;)

elvis75k
06-25-2009, 08:04 PM
at first look it remind me to some old videogames: flashback for super famicom and another world on the atari st -

playmesumch00ns
06-25-2009, 08:28 PM

I bet they got you hooked up to ampsuits to keep the mouse moving though right? ;)

I'm really looking forward to seeing what you guys have accomplished, but also dreading it cos I know it means we're going to have to work twice as hard to raise our game again :)

ccross
06-25-2009, 09:58 PM
:eek: :eek: Didn't like Titanic?!?! You heartless bastard! haha jk but yeah I agree not all of his movies are masterpieces, I thought The abyss was boring as hell. But as the director and writer of the first two terminators and Titanic he's still a god in my book. I'm eagerly awaiting the release of Avatar.

Did you see the special edition of The Abyss with the tidal wave? It really changes the story and makes for a much better movie in my opinion. It is a long film though.

Shletten
06-25-2009, 11:54 PM
I just can't wait to bow before you guys. Ha ha ha!

FabioMSilva
06-26-2009, 12:30 AM
Guys

This is James Cameron.

He gets the concept of good characters. I am sure the FX will be groundbreaking, but I am also sure he will blow us away with the story.

-R

afterall, he is the man who made T2- probably the only sequel that totally blows away the first movie, and one of the best action movies of all times

can't wait!

and for Alita too! he will probably be the 1st director to make respectful(and good)a live action anime adaptation

curbsidebandit
06-26-2009, 01:27 AM
You forgot Aliens :buttrock: - one of the best examples of what a sequel should be.

Having a reason for existing.

Expanding on the universe further.

And developing the characters further.

It respected the original material and ran with it.

Pete2003
06-26-2009, 02:10 AM
I dont think Aliens or T2 were necessarily 'better' than their prequels. Its just that Cameron was clever enough to twist the type of films they were slightly, so that they weren't as directly comparably as sequels usually are. The Terminator franchise suddenly became 'family-friendly' with T2, heavily focusing on action rather than the horror-suspense of the first. And in fact, this is pretty much what happened with Aliens too (although Im not sure Id call it 'family friendly' :) )

Obviously everyone still has their favourites and the debates over which films are the best will never end, but the fact is that both T2 and Aliens stand on their own two feet, alongside the first ones rather than behind.

Pete.
(For the record I think T1 and Aliens are the best :) )

BigJay
06-26-2009, 03:28 AM
When abyss came out I remember the hype he spouted about the breathing gear and technology used to make that massive underwater stage. He loves his technology, but he never forgets the story and has memorable characters in his movies. Fast or slow paced I still like his movies.

J

RobertoOrtiz
06-26-2009, 03:58 AM
When abyss came out I remember the hype he spouted about the breathing gear and technology used to make that massive underwater stage. He loves his technology, but he never forgets the story and has memorable characters in his movies. Fast or slow paced I still like his movies.

J

You have no idea how right you are.
Cameron writes characters that are soo good that they stay with you.
Hell in some cases they become iconic.

Lets play a name, Ill name some characters right off my head:

One Night, Lindsay, Bud, Cofeee, Sarah Connor, T800, John Connor, Jack, Ratboy,Ripley,Dyson, Hudson, Newt, Hicks, Rose, Gorman...and of course (my favorite) Vazquez

I bet most of you can tell me in which movies these characters belong to.
THAT my friends is a sign of a good scriptwriter.

Now lets play a game,
Gime the 5 names of characters in the last four Michael Bay Films. And no cheating by naming the actors who have been in his films...

And the irony is that for someone who is a hard ass, he sure knows how to write REALLY GOOD female characters. Something that is quite an anomaly for action/scifi writers.

curbsidebandit
06-26-2009, 06:15 AM
I should make clear that I don’t think Aliens is better than the first. They are both great movies. Both touch on different genre ranges. But they both work great in that universe. I think Ridley Scott is great, too :buttrock: .

INFINITE
06-26-2009, 10:24 AM

One Night, Lindsay, Bud, Cofeee, Sarah Connor, T800, John Connor, Jack, Ratboy,Ripley,Dyson, Hudson, Newt, Hicks, Rose, Gorman...and of course (my favorite) Vazquez

Now lets play a game,
Gime the 5 names of characters in the last four Michael Bay Films. And no cheating by naming the actors who have been in his films...

And the irony is that for someone who is a hard ass, he sure knows how to write REALLY GOOD female characters. Something that is quite an anomaly for action/scifi writers.

Ripley? err?

The others I grant you. Awesome characters. Dont forget the T1000! or you could even goes as far as the Power Loader and DropShip from Aliens, characters in their own right!

mullet
06-26-2009, 12:37 PM
am i the only person that's more excited about battle angel alita?... Hopefully he'll cut some technology teeth on this and use that experience to make BAA is beautiful as it deserves to be : )

i have no doubts both will be good films. the man knows what he's doing

curbsidebandit
06-26-2009, 03:21 PM
I hope he does a Battle Angel Alita movie, too. I like the first series of book, but I couldn’t get into the second series.

mullet
06-26-2009, 03:55 PM
he is doing one mate - have a squiz on imdb. it's still in pre-production, but surely they have some concepts done. I'd love to see some of it.

... you're right about the second set of books btw.

kelgy
06-26-2009, 05:13 PM
Dont forget his writing on a few films.
I havent seen Near Dark, Point Break, or Strange Days in a while. I know he did a few.

Also Rambo 2. I read he was mightily annoyed with Stallone for not even being able to remember his name and rewriting his script.
But I think Stallone is a talented director and writer in his own right.
Hopefully the Expendables will be good and not another Stop or My Mom Will Shoot.

Cameron took criticism passionately. In my teens I fired off a typically geeky letter about Aliens to a genre magazine and said I thought the aliens were weaklings compared to the one in the first movie, and he wrote a letter back to the magazine and made clear his disagreement with that opinion.
:eek:

SmallPoly
06-26-2009, 05:28 PM
Now lets play a game,

The only ones I remember the names of are ones he didn't create -- Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, Megatron, Starscream, and Super-Mecha-Death-Christ (couldn't remember a fifth one).

RobertoOrtiz
06-26-2009, 05:43 PM
The only ones I remember the names of are ones he didn't create -- Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, Megatron, Starscream, and Super-Mecha-Death-Christ (couldn't remember a fifth one).

And that the thing,
We remmber those characters becuase they already had a build in audience.
But the human characters are another story.
Let me put it this way,
what are the name of the lead characters in Pearl Harbor?
or Armageddon?

Venkman
06-26-2009, 05:56 PM

how dare you forget Apone from Aliens? ;)

All right people, what are you waiting for, breakfast in bed? Another glorious day in the corps. A day in the Marine Corps is like a day on the farm. Every meal's a banquet. Every paycheck a fortune. Every formation a parade. I love the corps!

Apoclypse
06-26-2009, 07:14 PM
how dare you forget Apone from Aliens? ;)

Apone was great. I LOVE ALIENS. I love Alien. They are both great movies. One is a scifi/horror movie the other is an action/scifi movie . The Characters in Aliens are brilliant though . Vasequez is my favorite character with Apone as the second most standout character. Bill Paxtons charcater was greta in that movie. Dammit that movie is just too good.

Boone
06-26-2009, 07:30 PM
Managed to start watching the Abyss last night and even after so many years I find it one of the most beautiful films ever made. Its first time I've owned it on DVD and will definitely watch the extras tonight. Cameron was without a doubt one of the best film makers of the 80s.

When I first watched it as a very young teenager, I cried my eyes out twice in that movie: 1st was when she stopped breathing and he had to revive her, and later on when the water-alien took him on a flying trip. My brother was there shouting at me "Shut up you little tart! Its only a ****ing film!". :D

Me and my brother loved watching his movies together. My dad promised us that he would get us in to see T2 when it was on at the pictures, but unfortunately I was too young at the time. I was scarred for life - in the same way Bart Simpson was not allowed to see the Itchy and Scratchy movie! :eek:

eMPeck
06-27-2009, 10:01 AM

That's why I hate Alien3, they've killed Hicks! :cry:

gjpetch
06-27-2009, 03:10 PM

On the other hand, I can certainly remember these names:
Neo, Morpheus, Trinity, Agent Smith......... my point being that directors can produce pretty enjoyable, memorable, engaging movies, and yet still go on to make bad, disappointing films.
Another example: Ridley Scott followed up to his sublime work on Alien and Blade Runner with Legend, which had a few nice shots, but was really utter dross.
Anyone remember the Sickboy theory (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6_A7ESaIkA) in Trainspotting?
I really hope Cameron can pull Avatar off, I REALLY hope it turns out to be amazing, but I have a sinking suspicion that for all its visual spectacle the characters and story might let the film down. I'm basically trying to lower my expectations so that I'm not too disapointed if the film is flawed.

ambient-whisper
06-28-2009, 05:35 AM
That's why I hate Alien3, they've killed Hicks! :cry:

perhaps, but if you ever read about what fox did with alien 3, you would really respect fincher for what he was able to make out of the mess that fox created.

antonymuse
06-28-2009, 05:49 AM
i appreaciate all the discusion goin' on here but does anyone have a link to the actual footage or atleast images of the forst 24 mins?

Shletten
06-28-2009, 06:10 AM
No sorry, the trailer isn't due before mid-august and the only images avalaible from this convention are production arts, they're very nice though.http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2009/06/more-pictures-from-avatar-party.html

The movie is supposed to be there at the next Comic-Con but nobody knows what they're going to show. While waiting for this movie I think I am going to watch District 9.

P.S: This movie is going to be something else, I wish I could have witnessed that presentation! On another note, I have spent so much time looking for Avatar news that I have become a real great resource... IMDB's board, AvatarMovieZone.com and Marketsaw are my daily-visited websites.

curbsidebandit
06-28-2009, 06:37 AM
If you want to see the production woes with Alien 3, I suggest watching the ‘behind-the-scenes featurettes’ on the second disc of the collector’s edition. In fact, I found the featurettes on the collector’s editions of each film to be pretty good.

Something I didn’t know, on the third film they stuck a small dog into an alien costume for shots of the alien running down a hallway. It was for a scene just after the alien was born. It looked hilarious, and they scrapped the footage:banghead: .

eMPeck
06-28-2009, 08:23 AM
perhaps, but if you ever read about what fox did with alien 3, you would really respect fincher for what he was able to make out of the mess that fox created.

That's why I don't like that movie, not because of Fincher, but because of FOX.

FreDre
06-28-2009, 03:43 PM
I've been waiting for this movie for 4 years now.
I'm much more intrigued about the technical aspect but the story looks interesting too, not mind blowing but it has a lot of potential.
The script treatment is pretty interesting, it's amazing how much details Cameron use to describes everything, it's like those things could actually exist.
I cannot wait.

Boone
06-28-2009, 03:53 PM
I actually liked Alien3. It was confusing at times, and some missed opportunities, but it still carried on the tradition of each film in the series being unique.

I think the film was blessed by just enough talent to see it through the hard times. Could have awful, but under David Fincher's direction and the brilliant cast, Alien3 was a worthy sequel. Only just, mind you...

curbsidebandit
06-28-2009, 07:12 PM
Well Fox green lit, advertised, and built sets for Alien 3 before they actually had a script. They had a director before Fincher who was developing a story to take place in a wooden monastery in space - yes, you read that right:surprised . Fox let that director go and hired Fincher to directed, but Fox handled the development of the script. This left Fincher in a tough place where he didn’t have a finished script to work with while shooting. The production didn’t know what they were shooting the next day until Fox would send them the next few pages of script.

Boone
06-28-2009, 11:09 PM
Well Fox green lit, advertised, and built sets for Alien 3 before they actually had a script. They had a director before Fincher who was developing a story to take place in a wooden monastery in space - yes, you read that right:surprised . Fox let that director go and hired Fincher to directed, but Fox handled the development of the script. This left Fincher in a tough place where he didn’t have a finished script to work with while shooting. The production didn’t know what they were shooting the next day until Fox would send them the next few pages of script.

I think I spent a whole week watching the docs on the Alien Quadrilogy box set. I always had the impression that Scott was the "tyrant" and everyone had a lovely and wonderful time under Cameron...man, didn't have a bloody clue until I watched that set! :beer:

Apoclypse
06-28-2009, 11:39 PM
I think I spent a whole week watching the docs on the Alien Quadrilogy box set. I always had the impression that Scott was the "tyrant" and everyone had a lovely and wonderful time under Cameron...man, didn't have a bloody clue until I watched that set! :beer:

Yeah. Cameron has been known to be pretty controlling in his movie. Scott has always come off (to me) as someone who has a vision but isn't afraid to let practicality get in the way. Cameron can be a bit of a hard ass when he wants to be.

curbsidebandit
06-28-2009, 11:52 PM
I thought it was funny that during the first movie, the producers from Fox tried to hide or axe sets before Scott actually saw them. They felt that he had run wild building all these expensive sets. The Space Jockey set may never have came to be if Fox had their way.

kmest
06-29-2009, 08:33 PM
i have a friend who's working on this movie and he says its going to be groundbreaking,and as far as its cameron , i'm sure he will deliver us a fantastic ride to his amazing imaginations once again,,all his movies were top movies and i think he is the best Hollywood bluckbuster director Alive

and hell yeah,finally an awesome space movie,havn't seen a good once for a looooooong time

kmest
06-29-2009, 08:41 PM
And that the thing,
We remmber those characters becuase they already had a build in audience.
But the human characters are another story.
Let me put it this way,
what are the name of the lead characters in Pearl Harbor?
or Armageddon?

dizzi?or dazi?i only remember thisw one cause it was Liv tylors name in armageddon and i had a crush on her in those days.... :P

curbsidebandit
06-29-2009, 10:34 PM
i have a friend who's working on this movie and he says its going to be groundbreaking,and as far as its cameron , i'm sure he will deliver us a fantastic ride to his amazing imaginations once again,,all his movies were top movies and i think he is the best Hollywood bluckbuster director Alive

and hell yeah,finally an awesome space movie,havn't seen a good once for a looooooong time

Even if it turns out not to be Cameron’s best film, I have a feeling it will be better than most big budget movies that come out now a days.

luispages
07-01-2009, 09:21 PM
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/avatarnews.php?id=56824

Shletten
07-02-2009, 01:15 AM
I had already seen it but thanks for posting. I will ask this immediately because so many people on the web are wondering. Is it a painting, a drawing, a CG render? It doesn't look like a pure CG rendering, in my opinion it would look even better.

Either way, truly good design, I can't wait to see more of them animated. It's Jake Sully's avatar right?

jogshy
07-02-2009, 03:01 AM
Btw, I think the images on the party's large TFTs are concept arts, not the film itself. The press were told to keep all the images in secret... but the real thing is that if you take a photograph of a 3D projection you'll get only an unfocused and blurry thing :P

Well... I'm very excited about this movie. The same than I watched Star Wars(the old ones, of course) or the Matrix(1, of course) for the first time... Why?

1. I haven't seen a bad movie from JC yet. In fact, much of his films can be considered great classics now(Titanic, T2, Aliens 2, Abyss, etc... and I enjoyed a lot also with True Lies ). JC is also collabortating with Steven Spielbear and Peter Jackson to improve the 3D system for the Tintin movie!

2. JC is making Avatar since 2001!(yes, that 8 years of work) and it has a 200M$ budget(ooommmmggg)! I heard that after the producers saw the initial results they're extending it to 300M!

3. They're using physically-correct renders, not tricks like photon-mapping or irradiance caching. They are talking about 50-100 hours of rendering per frame! ( http://www.edge-online.com/features/interview-james-cameron )
I've myself seen a few of the final renderers are they have a quality never seen! The Neo/Smith's scene is like Kevin Spencer compared with that.

4. I'm tired of prequels, sequels and character's "origins". Finally a more-or-less innovative and original film!(hmmm wait... mix The Time Machine's Morloks + The Surrogates... and... it will be Avatar... )

5. I like the actors JC chose. Go Ripleyyyyyyyyyy and Vasques and Uhura!

6. The Avatar's 3D technology is superior to the other 3D systems. I tested the blue/red glasses long time ago: sucked. I tested the IMAX system: better but I ended with a strange headache because IMAX's system cannot control the left-right camera's objetive distance. The Avatar's system can control both the distance of the LR camera objective plus the angle between them... so there's no need to adjust the focal effect on post-production. Their cameras works exactly as an human eye does... and you'll notice the difference with other 3D, for sure!

Now, the cons:

1. The 3D glasses. You need a polarized 3D glasses to filter the left and right images. If you don't like the ones at the cinama(because are infected with bacteries from other people :p or just because they aren't confortable). I think you can get a default ones from, for example, this shop and use them in the theatre:

http://www.rainbowsymphonystore.com/po3dglplcast.html ( the 3d glasses itself )
http://www.rainbowsymphonystore.com/plpo3dglclon.html ( plastic clip-ons for people already using graduated glasses )

They're cheap ( 15$ aprox ).

2. 2D trailer. I doubt JC could release a traditional 2D trailer.... that's because you cannot mix, in an easy way, the 3D film into 2D... You'll loose a lot of critical information like the camera's focus, depth cue/depth of field and the 3D effects need to be retouched also ( because you'll have two ZBuffers in the chroma ... so what Z to use? ).
Btw, it's rumored that JC rejected the 3D trailer 38 times! Must be PERFECT or something...

3. 3D stability. A thing that preocupies me is that JC said Avatar was filmed using 2k HD resultion, 24FPS ( said it here http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117983864.html?categoryid=1009&cs=1 ).
He said that 24FPS is not enough to high-quality-stable stereoscopic efect. He wanted HD resolution and, almost, 48FPS... but they had technical and budget limitations so Avatar 1 ( do you know it's a trilogy, don't you? ) will be filmed in that way.. while AV2/3 will be using 48FPS.

4. 3D availability. I'm not sure that all the cinemas around the would will be ready for the Avatar's 3D system... also remind that we're in the middle of a financial crisis... so cinemas will be reticent to make the required changes...

curbsidebandit
07-02-2009, 07:13 AM
I think in a couple of interviews at the beginning of production on this movie, Cameron said he had been waiting for 3D tech to evolve to a better quality before coming back to movie making.

I would assume that they have the ability to convert this movie to a 2D format for areas that don’t have theatres with 3D projectors, and what about DVD? Hollywood makes most of its money from DVD and licensing deals. In a recent interview Cameron mentioned that he found he didn’t need to make a major change to how he used the camera. I think he said that there was the odd occasion where the light needed to be tweaked. So I would assume that if they did convert it to 2D the composition wouldn’t look odd.

I should say that you would obviously want to see it in 3D, but some of the markets that movies go through are going to require a 2D print.

Toddski
07-02-2009, 04:59 PM
Yep It's a render. and yes it's Jake Sully's Avatar, played by Sam Worthington. I worked at Weta for two years, mostly on this movie. I worked on this Character a lot.

It's going to be an..... Interesting movie. I was saying to my co workers the other day, I veer wildly between "OH MY GOD, this is the BEST THING EVER!!!" to "WTF?" It's going to be a wild ride, that's for sure. Bring Ibuprofen and a sick bag.

:p

I had already seen it but thanks for posting. I will ask this immediately because so many people on the web are wondering. Is it a painting, a drawing, a CG render? It doesn't look like a pure CG rendering, in my opinion it would look even better.

Either way, truly good design, I can't wait to see more of them animated. It's Jake Sully's avatar right?

Boone
07-02-2009, 05:28 PM
Will there actually be a 2D-version of this film - like for its inevitable DVD release? :shrug:

Toddski
07-02-2009, 05:50 PM
I'm not sure. Cameron was fairly adamant about it not getting a 2d Version, which would be really simple to do actually, just use the left render, but I think Fox were worried about there not being enough 3D capable screens. Which would mean it would need to stay in theatres for 5 years to make any money. That was one of the reasons the original summer release date got pushed back. One of the others was the fact that there was no way on earth it would have been finished on time.

Even now, with the moved date, ILM and Framestore have been brought on to take on work. The old "Most Expensive Movie Ever!!" headlines from Titanic days will have to be dusted off for this one. It could be the first $1/2 BILLION movie. So, I think the chances of a 2D release may be good. They'll need to so they'll even have a CHANCE of making any money on this...

Will there actually be a 2D-version of this film - like for its inevitable DVD release? :shrug:

ambient-whisper
07-02-2009, 06:13 PM
I'm not sure. Cameron was fairly adamant about it not getting a 2d Version, which would be really simple to do actually, just use the left render, but I think Fox were worried about there not being enough 3D capable screens. Which would mean it would need to stay in theatres for 5 years to make any money. That was one of the reasons the original summer release date got pushed back. One of the others was the fact that there was no way on earth it would have been finished on time.

Even now, with the moved date, ILM and Framestore have been brought on to take on work. The old "Most Expensive Movie Ever!!" headlines from Titanic days will have to be dusted off for this one. It could be the first $1/2 BILLION movie. So, I think the chances of a 2D release may be good. They'll need to so they'll even have a CHANCE of making any money on this...

i wonder how it will work when its released for home use ( bluray, dvd ). im guessing they will just do the left eye image like you said, or they could release a 3d version with glasses?! :) haha, that would be funny to see.

earlyworm
07-02-2009, 07:10 PM
Yep It's a render. and yes it's Jake Sully's Avatar, played by Sam Worthington. I worked at Weta for two years, mostly on this movie. I worked on this Character a lot.

It's going to be an..... Interesting movie. I was saying to my co workers the other day, I veer wildly between "OH MY GOD, this is the BEST THING EVER!!!" to "WTF?" It's going to be a wild ride, that's for sure. Bring Ibuprofen and a sick bag.

:p

Oops. I thought it was Neytiri. Anyway, I can't wait to see the work you, Nick and the rest of the fur/hair team did on the film. Oh and I am also excited to see what the rest of Weta Digi has done.

Toddski
07-02-2009, 07:25 PM
And ILM and Framestore!! hah! :p
Hows it going Will?

Oops. I thought it was Neytiri. Anyway, I can't wait to see the work you, Nick and the rest of the fur/hair team did on the film. Oh and I am also excited to see what the rest of Weta Digi has done.

Shletten
07-02-2009, 08:06 PM
Is that all the visual effects companies? WETA Digital, Industrial Light & Magic, Hydraulx, Framestore CFC, BUF? I am pretty sure for every single one but BUF.

I'd prefer if all of the Na'Vi animations were made by WETA though... I don't know, they started the project, it's them who created the characters, it's their job and they're the one who most know how to get it right. Vehicles, environments and animals can be given to others, obviously.

Shletten
07-02-2009, 08:54 PM
Bring Ibuprofen and a sick bag.
Sorry but you got me worried with such a statement, are you trying to hint that the 3D is sickening?

Toddski
07-02-2009, 09:43 PM
Talk about timely. A colleague from Weta was just here and we met for lunch and I mentioned the headache inducing 3d I saw and he told me that they later found out that the batteries in the glasses we had were failing and throwing the sync off, hence the migraines! Maybe they've got that sorted after all.

2 1/2 hours would have made me want a lobotomy if a few minutes was all it took to make me sick.
I think Weta still have the lions share of the work, other places are doing screen replacements, compositing and graphics. Weta are doing most of the character animation, if not all, and the environments (Pandora)

He told me that the latest stuff is pretty awesome, but then he would, wouldn't he? ;)

Sorry but you got me worried with such a statement, are you trying to hint that the 3D is sickening?

Shletten
07-02-2009, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the reply Toddski!

Well I must inform you that I shared your comments with my fellows on IMDB's board, some of them are little ''troubled'' I'd say by some of your lines... I keep telling them that you're real but the sentences about Cameron not wanting a 2D version and the budget reaching $500M made them doubt you. :shrug:

Take a look if you can, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0499549/board/thread/141835429

Toddski
07-02-2009, 10:29 PM
hah!! Never been called a troll before!! Awesome.

having worked on quite a few features, I know how much a minute can cost. Knowing how MUCH work is going into a minute of avatar, how many revisions there have been on each and every element of every shot, how much R&D went into the lighting, shading and texturing, the sheer SCOPE of the production and the level of quality demanded by Mr Cameron, going over $200 for this movie is in no way a stretch. I'm pretty sure that Weta got more than that for their contribution alone,and when you factor in Actors, live action sets (AWESOME live action sets, I saw them being constructed) the full size APU, the live action crew, the mocap shoots (pretty cheap, considering) ILM, Framestore et al and the fact that 800+ people at Weta alone are putting a LOT of OT in on this production and you can see how costs can rise.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing. Every penny will end up on screen. It will LOOK amazing. Like nothing you've ever seen. I only know that the 3d screening I saw gave me a bad headache and nausea, but that was most likely a technical issue at the screening. I did find it hard to believe that JC would put out something that would give people headaches, well technically at least.

as for the costs, I can't know for sure as I'm not privvy to the finances, but I can extrapolate and I've worked on other features that were not as enormous or ambitious as this one and I know how much they cost. This movie is HUGE. It makes Titanic look like a Kid's paddling pool video and look how much THAT cost over 10 years ago!! Avatar is going to be THE movie that all future effects movies are going to be judged by for a good while to come. It's the story that concerns me most, but then I liked Titanic, still do. Even the cheesy bits. Think Dances with Wolves meets Aliens. With kickass battle armour and planet spanning war. Doesn't sound too bad, eh?

I'll get back under my bridge now.

Thanks for the reply Toddski!

Well I must inform you that I shared your comments with my fellows on IMDB's board, some of them are little ''troubled'' I'd say by some of your lines... I keep telling you that you're real but the sentences about Cameron not wanting a 2D version and the budget reaching $500M made them doubt you. :shrug:

Take a look if you can, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0499549/board/thread/141835429

Shletten
07-02-2009, 11:08 PM
At last! It's good to see you not retain yourself and say the hell out of what you think about the movie. I greatly appreciate it, and it's nice to see that your thoughts go in the same way as the impressions regarding the 24 minutes preview.

Judging by what everyone said and you're saying, it almost appears obvious that it's going to win the academy award for best visual effects...

earlyworm
07-03-2009, 01:17 AM
Well I must inform you that I shared your comments with my fellows on IMDB's board, some of them are little ''troubled'' I'd say by some of your lines... I keep telling them that you're real but the sentences about Cameron not wanting a 2D version and the budget reaching $500M made them doubt you.

Wow. Tough crowd. I pretty sure James Cameron has said a few times in interviews that he would have rather have released the film only in 3D cinemas - he's been fairly vocal about the future of cinema being in 3D. He's also got enough smarts to realise that the rollout of 3D projection systems in cinemas isn't happening fast enough and that he'll need to release a 2D version as well for a few years.

This is the only article that I could quickly pull up, he doesn't specifically mention that he'd prefer 3D only, but he does talk about having to also release in 2D for the next few years.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117983864.html?categoryid=2868&cs=1

BigErn
07-03-2009, 01:43 AM
hah!! Never been called a troll before!! Awesome.

I'll get back under my bridge now.

heh, oh todd you must have been called worse? ;) thanks for the info tho, very interesting stuff.

Toddski
07-03-2009, 05:41 PM
Ern!! My Man!! Yeah, I've been called FAR worse, but troll? That's just MEAN! ;-)

Not that it changes anything, but some people can't be reached.. (On IMDB at least..)

You're back in Blighty? Sunny Old Sheffield? PM me and I'll give you my new work address. then i cna give you REAL info. Like how it cost only Thirty quid and a packet of chips to make a two and a half hour 3d Epic in outer space with 9 foot tall blue aliens FOR REALZ!!
I miss Sheffield.

not really...

;)

heh, oh todd you must have been called worse? ;) thanks for the info tho, very interesting stuff.

Shletten
07-06-2009, 08:35 PM
Comic-Con can't come fast enough, I hope the marketing will start off from there.

curbsidebandit
07-06-2009, 09:45 PM
I agree with you Shletten. The movie is coming out at the end of the year, right? I would think they would start the marketing soon for this movie - especially since this is a 3D movie experience and you want people to go to a 3D theatre to see this movie.

Shletten
07-06-2009, 11:16 PM
I agree with you Shletten. The movie is coming out at the end of the year, right? I would think they would start the marketing soon for this movie - especially since this is a 3D movie experience and you want people to go to a 3D theatre to see this movie. Yep, it's coming out on December 18th in 2D theaters, IMAX theaters and RealD theaters. I am going to watch it in RealD because my local theater has only one 3D projection room and it uses RealD systems. I don't care too much because it's going to look good, the screen isn't too large so the 2K remains very crisp.

curbsidebandit
07-10-2009, 01:15 AM
Hey,Looks like the schedule for Comic Con was released and has been posted on Superherohype. Listed at 12:45 to 2:00 is a panel for Avatar and the description mentions a screening of footage.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=8495

curbsidebandit
07-16-2009, 08:19 PM
http://www.latinoreview.com/news/james-cameron-to-show-20-mins-of-avatar-7413

Shletten
07-17-2009, 07:58 AM
There aren't enough impressions about the event for my taste. There's only one article as of now...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3i43a49e1357669d61b96ce94c6b620fc2

curbsidebandit
07-17-2009, 02:57 PM
The last sentence of that article mentions that a longer cut of the footage will be shown at Comic Con :drool: .

Shletten
07-23-2009, 02:44 AM
Lots of photos of the toys taken right from Comic-Con! http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2009/07/more-pictures-from-mattels-avatar-booth.html?dsq=13186533#comment-13186533

curbsidebandit
07-24-2009, 01:13 AM
http://movies.ign.com/articles/100/1006942p1.html

curbsidebandit
07-24-2009, 01:20 AM
http://chud.com/articles/articles/20234/1/COMIC-CON-09-DEVIN-SEES-AVATAR/Page1.html

Shletten
07-24-2009, 01:23 AM
You forgot to say that CHUD's article is kind of a negative one...

This one is also negative in its own way: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41793

However, they're 2 against many!

curbsidebandit
07-24-2009, 02:00 AM
Ha, just about to post that link :) . Reading between the lines I think they are both saying that we need to temper our expectations. Yeah, it looks good, but your eyes won’t bleed while you’re watching the film - you’re not going to have a religious experience. I’m interested in seeing it, but like most products now a days, some have marketed the experience larger than what it is - I think it’s still going to be a great movie experience.

Shletten
07-24-2009, 02:55 AM
http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/07/23/comic-con-video-blog-thoughts-on-24-minutes-of-james-camerons-avatar/

This is actually the best review, they are four and cover all topics.

curbsidebandit
07-25-2009, 01:49 AM
http://io9.com/5322486/james-cameron-says-studio-wanted-avatars-aliens-to-be-less-alien

Shletten
07-25-2009, 04:46 AM
Dude, are we alone? Nobody else discusses the movie except us and it's so much about this movie this week...

More objective and positive opinion regarding the CGI: UPDATE 07/24/09: a bit more on the "photorealism" question some are asking about. Avatar is a revolutionary leap forward in that it is the manifestation of a huge number of first--time achievements in filmmaking. Cameron has created such an amazingly cohesive, detailed, and beautiful world that I believed I was there, and, like the Time magazine writer, I wish I could go back now.

As for photorealism, the humanoid chararacters are at least two steps ahead of the best CGI characters to date (King Kong and Davey Jones).

In the first few seconds of seeing Jake's avatar my mind was a bit boggled - *very slightly* rejecting it because I knew on a *factual* level it does not exist (or at the very least, humans have never laid eyes on any alien creature). But this wore off after about 4 seconds. The CG is perfect. The aliens exist. Cameron and his team have achieved their goals with flying colors.
If such aliens were real, that is what they would look like. Their clothing, the lighting, the interaction with the jungle, the dirt and cuts they may get...all are real.
I frankly will say that it's a bit stupid to call 'District 9' more realistic than 'Avatar'.

As for me, I'm quite sure I'll be more impressed by 'Avatar'. What it brings on screen is just going to be more massive, more grandiose, more imaginative, more beautiful. The amount of CGI in 'Avatar' is beyond enormous too, it must have been way more difficult to make and I think some people forget to take the overall design direction into account.

'District 9' has some art choices that greatly helps it. It's filmed in real locations, the photography and the environments are brownish, it's shot docu-style, it's gritty. The color matching is easier to achieve thanks to that. Still, even though the trailer features some extremely convincing shots, there are two particular shots that I find a little weak which are the alien that jumps from a roof to another and the mech that's jumping. It might have been be work in progress, so I won't judge too fast.

Anyway, you can be assured that I am very impressed by the new 'District 9' screenshots released since the Comic-Con and in reality I've always been one of the defender of the movie's VFX work but I sure will be one of the most objective and capable person to give my input on Avatar's VFX against those of District 9 when I'll have seen both of them later in August.

Those are the new screenshots of D9 I was talking about: http://www.scifiscoop.com/news/district-9-premieres-at-comic-con-to-ra ve-reviews/

curbsidebandit
07-25-2009, 05:28 AM
I think it is a lack of a trailer for Avatar. I think once a trailer shows up, people will have more to say. Hopefully they will show something to advertise the sneak peek that will show up in 3D theatres. Just look at the concept trailer for the new Tron. Since it hit today, I’ve watched it five times. It’s given me a jumping off point to get excited about the movie - and it‘s a year old and not a part of any scene in the movie that we know. Other than two photos and some second hand comments, the studio hasn’t given us anything moving to get us excited.

kelgy
07-25-2009, 05:39 AM
You are not alone in Canada.

Dennis Muren said in 97 that it would be a long time before something came along to give the same sense of wow that photorealistic blurred motion dinosaurs accomplished.

Davy Jones was amazing but you couldnt be sure if it was a guy in makeup-it wasnt like seeing something that could not exist in real life or as a makeup effect.
Mechanical creatures still werent as good as the cg animation in JP.

Maybe if they could recreate a totally convincing dead celebrity that would produce the same type of wow, but I doubt it.

Not sure what could really.

Shletten
07-28-2009, 05:15 AM
What a post-production worker had to say about it.

Kernow2712 (http://www.guardian.co.uk/users/kernow2712)

27 Jul 09, 11:02pm (about 7 hours ago)

I was fortunate enough to recently watch a few scenes of Avatar via an industry insider. I can't vouch for the story, acting, sound or characterisation but I can tell you this, it looks amazing.

I can only describe it as watching a film where every character is 3D CGI - like Gollum from Lord of The Rings but better - complete with photo realistic, fully interactive 3D CGI scenery.

It's the best example of photo realistic CGI I have ever seen (and I work in film post production) and it will definitely set a new benchmark in the use of 3D.

Let's hope the story is up to scratch too...personally I can't wait.-----------------------------------------You are not alone in Canada.

Dennis Muren said in 97 that it would be a long time before something came along to give the same sense of wow that photorealistic blurred motion dinosaurs accomplished.

Davy Jones was amazing but you couldnt be sure if it was a guy in makeup-it wasnt like seeing something that could not exist in real life or as a makeup effect.
Mechanical creatures still werent as good as the cg animation in JP.

Maybe if they could recreate a totally convincing dead celebrity that would produce the same type of wow, but I doubt it.

Not sure what could really. Sadly, nothing will because 'Jurassic Park' is the movie I think that convinced the whole world that CGI was going to be the future of visual effects. Now everybody is used to CGI even when it's splendid.

curbsidebandit
08-03-2009, 03:48 AM
http://www.latinoreview.com/news/new-avatar-poster-of-zoe-saldana-7598

Lone Deranger
08-03-2009, 03:54 AM
Augmented Reality toys... Pretty cool I thought. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JWk_JIE3Ow

gjpetch
08-04-2009, 03:48 AM
This toy looks a bit meh....
link (http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/mcfarlaneonline_2066_82807775)
I'm sure it will be a great movie, but my expectations have definitely taken a few nose dives.

ice-boy
08-04-2009, 03:38 PM
image metrics worked a lot on this movie. why arent they talking about it? why didnt they post the Avatar Day news on their site? they should talk that they worked on the biggest movie.

Cameron is saying that they captured 100% from the actors.
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41920

'' Absolutely. Now it turns out that a lot of that was keyframe and it was inspired by Andy, but it was actually a lot of keyframe work. We have eliminated a lot of the keyframe steps, or at least we have enslaved keyframe to the actors in a way that is 100% what the actors are doing. I mean really 100%, not 95%. We thought we would be lucky if we got 90% when we started down this road, but it’s a hundred percent actor driven what you’re seeing there, which is why the characters are quite humanoid, maybe to the disappointment of some hard science fiction people that would say “We are tired of all of these Klingons and everything that look like people because they are makeup on an actor and now you are doing CG and making it look like a person.”''

Shletten
08-05-2009, 02:35 AM
This toy looks a bit meh....
link (http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/mcfarlaneonline_2066_82807775)
I'm sure it will be a great movie, but my expectations have definitely taken a few nose dives. Hey calm down already will you? Frankly, that toy does a poor job replicating how Jake's avatar looks in the movie. The head proportions are wrong, the eyes are way too small, the colors are off, the hair is wrong. Don't judge the character based on this toy. It's missing so many of the details that make the movie version so amazing.

Just look at the official banner of Jake and you'll see what I mean...but even that banner image is nothing compared to seeing him in the jungle interacting with the light, plants, creatures, dirt, etc. Now THAT is what is mindblowing. Taken from Marketsaw, other comments like this are around.

Anyway, here's a preview praising the VFX http://nerdworld.blogs.time.com/2009/08/03/i-saw-the-avatar-footage-though-i-pass-through-the-uncanny-valley-of-evil-i-will-fear-no-evil/

curbsidebandit
08-13-2009, 03:09 AM
http://www.latinoreview.com/news/get-ticket-to-watch-16-minutes-of-avatar-in-imax-7705

luispages
08-14-2009, 10:00 PM
http://media2.slashfilm.com/slashfilm/images/avatartank.jpg

SheepFactory
08-14-2009, 10:04 PM
http://media2.slashfilm.com/slashfilm/images/avatartank.jpg

Is that the guy from Terminator Salvation?

DuttyFoot
08-14-2009, 10:22 PM
in the theater they have a trailer for the last airbender that comes out next year and the director is m.night

i know people speak of cameron doing the avatar. i'm late, i didnt realize that there will be two movies based on the avatar series.

zzacmann
08-14-2009, 10:32 PM
in the theater they have a trailer for the last airbender that comes out next year and the director is m.night

i know people speak of cameron doing the avatar. i'm late, i didnt realize that there will be two movies based on the avatar series.

Not two based on the series. These are two completely different concepts all together. AirBender is based on the animated series and Cameron's is his own completely seperate original concept. I do agree that its strange that the two would be coming out so close to each other and having basically the same name. The confusion amongst general audiences has not even started yet.

Prediction:

Me: Dude! Have you seen Avatar yet? Its freakin amazing!

Dude: Naw, after Lady in the Water I've just given up on M. Night films.

Me: No, I'm talking about Camerons Avatar.

Dude: Yeah, the one about the little bald kid, right? I told you, after 6 Sense his films have gone straight down the toilet.

Me: (breaks fist on Dude's unusually dense skull)

Dude: I guess I'm like impervious guy in that M. Nights flick.

Me: Unbreakable?

Dude: Naw, the Terminator.

earlyworm
08-14-2009, 11:44 PM
image metrics worked a lot on this movie. why arent they talking about it? why didnt they post the Avatar Day news on their site? they should talk that they worked on the biggest movie.

Do you know to what extent Image Metrics is involved in the film? I only ask this because it can be a little annoying to see people putting in lot's of hard work into a film - only for the credit to be given to some other person or company.

While there are a number of blog posts that report a quote from Avatar producer Jon Landau on the Image Metrics site (although I can't find the quote on their site at the moment), there is no mention of Image Metrics actually working on the film anywhere (well at least not that I can find).

Toddski
08-14-2009, 11:50 PM
Is that the guy from Terminator Salvation?

Yep. Sam Worthington. He filmed his avatar role before Salvation, funnily enough....

DuttyFoot
08-15-2009, 03:07 AM
Not two based on the series. These are two completely different concepts all together. AirBender is based on the animated series and Cameron's is his own completely seperate original concept. I do agree that its strange that the two would be coming out so close to each other and having basically the same name. The confusion amongst general audiences has not even started yet

ok i see. thanks for the info zzac

curbsidebandit
08-15-2009, 03:07 AM
http://www.apple.com/trailers/

5 days until a teaser trailer shows up at apple.com

Shletten
08-15-2009, 04:32 AM
Sincerely guys, we're going to have to make a new thread. Well there's going to be a new one announcing the teaser trailer that's guaranteed so forget what I just said.

ice-boy
08-16-2009, 07:51 PM
Do you know to what extent Image Metrics is involved in the film? I only ask this because it can be a little annoying to see people putting in lot's of hard work into a film - only for the credit to be given to some other person or company.

While there are a number of blog posts that report a quote from Avatar producer Jon Landau on the Image Metrics site (although I can't find the quote on their site at the moment), there is no mention of Image Metrics actually working on the film anywhere (well at least not that I can find).this is what i found

http://www.image-metrics.com/news/image-metrics-marketsaw

http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2008/08/amazing-avatar-tech-say-goodbye-to.html

Shletten
08-17-2009, 05:28 AM
I have seen their headgears, their facial capture system is image based like Image Metrics.

Toddski
08-17-2009, 03:55 PM
All the character animation, body and facial was done at Weta. The data from the sessions may well have been captured using the Image metrics gear, I wouldn't know, I wasn't on the stages, but the final performance animation was done at weta under the supervision of Andy Jones..

Toddski
08-17-2009, 04:41 PM
I read on market saw that someone informed them that the avatar in the tank behind Sam worthington in the recently released composite still (Jake is from another shot, overlaid over jake looking into the tank with the avatar) that it's Norm's avatar in the tank? If they mean the second tank in the background, then yes, but the one up front is Jakes' Avatar. Just so you know...

Michael

Shletten
08-19-2009, 07:00 AM
Indeed, I have read that too Michael. I have quoted the comment in the thread about the picture. Hey, barely 1 day left for me to amazed, you told me I was going to be! :p

It's Joel Moore's avatar not Worthington's according to Michael Stat (owner of MarketSaw with Jim Dorey).

I can't wait to see the facial animations, James Cameron said that their facial capture system is able to capture 100% of the performance! There's going to be a before/after featurette on the DVD about this.

Toddski
08-19-2009, 04:26 PM
Indeed, I have read that too Michael. I have quoted the comment in the thread about the picture. Hey, barely 1 day left for me to amazed, you told me I was going to be! :p

It's Joel Moore's avatar not Worthington's according to Michael Stat (owner of MarketSaw with Jim Dorey).

I can't wait to see the facial animations, James Cameron said that their facial capture system is able to capture 100% of the performance! There's going to be a before/after featurette on the DVD about this.

Well, he's wrong. It's Jake's

I know this because I did the hair for Jake's Avatar for this sequence. Norms is the second one blurred out in the background.

The facial animation is amazing. Even without hair, final shading and black textureless eyes, it looked like living, thinking beings. The performance come through perfectly, but a lot of that is down to the skill of the animators too.

Shletten
08-20-2009, 01:28 AM
From what I've heard, the rigging took up to 14 months so I expect it to look good.

I know you worked on Jake's avatar but isn't he supposed to be more muscular, more masculine?

Lone Deranger
08-20-2009, 01:42 AM
Give the guy a break.. He's been in nothing but an artificial womb up to that point and hasn't had much time for bench pressing ya know! ;)

I know you worked on Jake's avatar but isn't he supposed to be more muscular, more masculine?

luispages
08-20-2009, 01:43 AM
Is not fair to make any judgement based on that image, you'll have a better idea about what we've done very soon.

Shletten
08-20-2009, 01:49 AM
That's what I've been thinking lately but if we can actually see his character get in better shape as the movie progresses... You're kings. I like the hair but I can't wait to see it move in a dry environment.

The teaser trailer can't come fast enough...

Hum, may I ask for your personal opinion on the matter that the design choices for the movie might make some people think the movie doesn't look realistic even though it might feature the most photorealistic visual effects yet? I have seen many people saying ''the visual effects are better than everything done before'' but there are also some others who dare claiming ''it's not even photorealistic, looks like a cartoon...''. Though I think the CGI ignorant's opinion is pretty much biased for me.Positive opinion: I might as well declare defeat up front: by Crom, he's done it. CGI-wise, Cameron has cracked the problems of weight and light. The Navi -- that's what the aliens are called -- sorry, Na'vi -- look real the way no CGI critter ever has before. Light plays off their skin right. It shines through the skin on their elf-ears right. Their hair whips around right. Their faces make real-person expressions. Most important, they don't have that slightly weightless look that you're used to. They look like they have actual muscles and guts and stuff inside them.

In other words, this part of the evolution of CGI is now largely over. Yea verily, we have walked through the uncanny valley and out into the undiscovered country on the other side.Negative reaction: i do not agree. CG expert or not the look of a picture can only be objectively realistic or not realistic. Alien or not alien the photorealism and the credibility of a picture is just something everybody can recognize.
I did not feel this trailer achieved this goal, you can easily see that the images are generated by a computer rather than shooted on place. Shaders, lights, models, animations and all...
Hope the story will be strong because it will have the hard job to compensate the visuals.

Toddski
08-20-2009, 04:52 PM
"You can please some of the people all of the time and you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time"

some clever dude said that... or something like it.

See the movie. It will be awesome....

ambient-whisper
08-20-2009, 05:21 PM
the trailer in 1080 looks nice. very nice imagery throughout.

the only thing that bothers me is the navi design. when seen bust and above they look freakin' great, but when we see their backs for example i don't feel the same love. they are supposed to be cat like creatures, agile, etc, but they seem to lack any spine/ribs. theres almost no visible bone protrusions, or visible ab flexing as they move. on slim characters like that youd see huge changes in the abdominal section as the characters move, or even talk.

i know that its scifi, and all, but an addition of nipples probably could have helped the design as well. i dealt with this problem recently where i was told to keep the nipples off ( and other parts ), but in the end adding them really added a lot to the model.

it is a huge project, and the work is great. but those are some opinions of the navi design based on the trailer.

on the other hand. things like the faces, eyes, teeth hair look bloody fantastic. the environments look super sexy as well.

ice-boy
08-22-2009, 05:25 PM
i think with visible nipples they would have problems with the rating.

ambient-whisper
08-22-2009, 05:56 PM
On a man!? I don't think so. I don't remember the last time I seen a movie where a males nipple was a cause for a rating upgrade.

FabioMSilva
08-23-2009, 05:27 PM

cameron didn't care about Arnold's nipples

SheepFactory
08-23-2009, 06:09 PM
We have a avatar thread already.