PDA

View Full Version : Dragon/Dino Modeling Question

Infinity3d4life
07-25-2003, 03:49 PM
I wanted to know if any of you guys have ever tryed to model a dragon, or a dinosaur of any sort.. I'm interested in what technique you used to bring out the lower jaw piece? I have tryed it a couple of times, but i can't seem to get that look that i want.. IF any of you have ever tryed this, and you have a wireframe or could explain to me a technique that would work well please post back.. I can shape the top region pretty well, but bringing out the lower jaw, and having all the geometry placed in a good enough manner to add the detail is whats kinda confusing... Thanks for your help.. BTW i'm tryinng to start off box modeling this if that will help any..

peanuckle
07-25-2003, 04:03 PM
Well right now im modelling a Raptor. what im doing is starting with his mouth open so i can get all of his teath to look right. I didnt start with a box either i started drawing in polys around the eye and extending then out shaping the head, then finally adding detail.

hope that makes some sense

pea~

Freebooter
07-25-2003, 04:06 PM
Google Images for dinosaur skeletons. Look at the jawbone and work from there.

N

peanuckle
07-25-2003, 05:01 PM
Goto the local library also. Check out books of dinosaurs. They usually have good pictures of bones structures and sometimes good drawings.

pea~

Freebooter
07-25-2003, 05:06 PM
Right on Pea.

Also look for reconstructions of the face muscles, because they will help to get a good idea of how your edgeloops are going to work.

N

Zarathustra
07-25-2003, 05:08 PM
Try and find images of dino/alligator/croc skulls and see how the mandible fits into the skull and how the teeth fit into the mandible. That should help you get the general shape and ideas of how to fit it.

I've taken various stabs at dragons in the past, and that's what I did. Even when making mythical creatures, I think it's a good idea to start from a real animal reference and then go off into fantasy.

I try and think of the mechanics involved in how it would open it's mouth, chew, etc. which should help to make your creature more believable.

Infinity3d4life
07-25-2003, 05:51 PM
Thanks Guys.. I might have to abandon the box modeling for a moment and do a little bit of poly modeling for now..

chikega
07-25-2003, 06:00 PM
Have you checked out "Modeling Digital Dinosaurs" by Ken Brilliant? You might find it invaluable for what you're trying to do.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1584502096/qid=1059153017/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-9342420-9672028?v=glance&s=books

manfriday
07-25-2003, 06:20 PM
I have that book. It's quite good in my opinion.
Teaches several different modeling methods to go about creating these creatures.
He covers modeling poly by poly, box modeling, splines..
quite good.
Ken also has a book out called Modeling d Digital human..
Im thinking about picking it up. anyone have it?

roguenroll
07-25-2003, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Infinity3d4life
Thanks Guys.. I might have to abandon the box modeling for a moment and do a little bit of poly modeling for now..

I did my deinonychus with box modelling, check back about a page or two, if you like that, maybe a few of the early incrimental saves as I started will detail that point.

considering thats my first real organic model, and dinosaur and most of the techniques involved, it wasn't hard at all.

rogue

Ryder
07-26-2003, 04:28 PM
hmm..

limkinkwan
07-26-2003, 08:16 PM
may be you can try to find in www.lightwave3d.com , there got 2 tutorial is about dinosaur modeling (from a box) and also texturing with uv map..:shrug:

chikega
07-26-2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by manfriday
I have that book. It's quite good in my opinion.
Teaches several different modeling methods to go about creating these creatures.
He covers modeling poly by poly, box modeling, splines..
quite good.
Ken also has a book out called Modeling d Digital human..
Im thinking about picking it up. anyone have it?

I ordered a copy from sharbor.com - should be getting it sometime soon.

manfriday
07-26-2003, 11:06 PM
excellent. let me know how you like it. :)

Infinity3d4life
07-26-2003, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the replies.. I would love to get that book, and i might later on...

RPG2006
07-27-2003, 08:43 AM
Been modeling these critters over the last four years, and the attached is how I would start off a head.

As mentioned by others here, get your hands on as much source as you can, there's load of it out there.

Skeletal reference can be handy but not always easy to interrpret.

usually the inside of the mouth I will leave to the end and concentrate on getting the form and other details like the eyes right first. Also you need to try and think ahead(no pun intended) ie. when starting where are the eyes going to be for instance.

I have a 5 page tutorial on site http://rpgdigital.bizhosting.com
The site is a little problematic and have already relocated, but the tutorial section seems to function fine.

It's a tad old now, and I explain starting point by point and creating poly's, which isn't necesarry, a segmented box will do fine. That said it doesn't hurt to have an understanding of the point by point method when things get tricky.

Hope this helps.

RPG

By the way Rogue any more updates. the head was looking good last I saw it.

aurora
07-27-2003, 04:34 PM
I have "Modeling Digital Dinosaurs" and it is one of my fav books on modeling. It is a very complete book showing many types of modeling methods start from simple setups to a rather complex T-Rex. It also goes into texturing very nicely as well. About the only lacking is rigging and animation. But then it is a modeling book and not an animation book. Anybody up for a volume 2, riggin, animating, lighting, composititing?!?!?!?!

chikega
07-28-2003, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by aurora
I have "Modeling Digital Dinosaurs" and it is one of my fav books on modeling. It is a very complete book showing many types of modeling methods start from simple setups to a rather complex T-Rex. It also goes into texturing very nicely as well. About the only lacking is rigging and animation. But then it is a modeling book and not an animation book. Anybody up for a volume 2, riggin, animating, lighting, composititing?!?!?!?!

Hell yes!!!! :beer: :beer: :beer:

Fasty
07-28-2003, 06:52 AM
Hi, you can check my challenge entry in my signature to see a wireframe of my dragon. :)

Frenchw
07-28-2003, 08:37 AM
On my WebSite, in the gallery, Carlos Perona created a "Dragoon" that was made with splines.

He created also some tutuorials about Splines :
http://frenchwave.mental-tv.org/tuts/splines01/
http://frenchwave.mental-tv.org/tuts/splines02/ .

Hope this helps...

Here are some other works from him (http://frenchwave.mental-tv.org/galerie/perona.shtml) mainly done with Splines...

http://frenchwave.mental-tv.org/galerie/perona/perona-dragoon3.jpg

Infinity3d4life
07-28-2003, 01:11 PM
Nice model Fasty.. I think i'm gonna dive into modeling today..
Awesome little toon dragon there..:buttrock:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.