PDA

View Full Version : T-Rex vs. Stormtrooper on a Horse

mistasam02
06-24-2009, 04:50 AM
Ok, so this may sound crazy.. but the idea is: a stormtrooper is fleeing on a horse when a t-rex catches up to them and attacks them. I want it to either tackle the horse and then munch the trooper, or go straight for the horse and the trooper escapes. Ideas?

I have the beginning before the attack and will do more tomorrow :D

http://www.samanimates.com/clips/horseytrooperdino.mov

http://www.samanimates.com/clips/dinohorseypic.jpg

thehive
06-24-2009, 02:16 PM
lookin hot, man

mistasam02
06-25-2009, 07:28 AM
Thanks bro! Added some more to it.. camera, rider reaction, and trex starting the attack. I've decided to go with the "flip the horse up and over, horse tumbles on the ground toward camera, trooper hangs onto trex's head and gets munched up" idea. What you guys think?

http://www.samanimates.com/clips/horseytrooperdino2.mov

:wip:

stuartb
06-25-2009, 11:07 PM
Excellent work here! I'm guessing you are doing this all straight ahead? Here's what I've got for ya:

1) Frames 37-47 (The stormtrooper): I don't understand why the trooper is being pushed up in the air like that. I've gone frame by frame here, and for such an action I would expect more upward thrust from the horse. The horse appears fairly even. I would suggest adding some added anticipation here so we can really feel the weight of the trooper bouncing off the back.

2) Frames 38-39 (trooper): The troopers screen-right arm feels a bit stiff as he's struggling to re-gain his grip. I think you could loosen it up a bit of successive breaking of joints.

3) Frames 52-59 (T-rex): Watch the screen-right foot here. It kind of slides around mid air to make this body weight shift. Realistically this would be impossible to do mid-stride. I think the problem starts with too might weight over the screen-left leg on frame 52. Then look at frame 54, the push off pose is straight-ahead not screen-right, as it should be to successfully transfer the weight over. 55-57 the screen-right leg I also don't think is angled enough to take the weight correctly.

4) Frame 60 (T-rex): try and push the pose more. The body could go lower and adjust the tail better for a clean silhouette.

5) Frame 66 (T-rex): Get a leg straight here so we can feel the weight better on the landing foot.

Finally, I'm not sure how I feel about the the dino lifting the horse off the ground with his nose. Why wouldn't the T-Rex grab the tropper with his razor sharp teeth? I think it would be pretty bad ass if the dino grabbed him by the head and threw him like a rag doll. Up to you obviously though.

In any case, hopefully this was helpful. Keep up the great work :)

mistasam02
06-26-2009, 05:12 PM
Wow great feedback man, thanks! Unfortunately I just got an animation test so I can't work on this til Monday :( but yea, awesome. Cheers guys :) More to come!

Jutley
06-30-2009, 07:27 PM
I was thinking when the animation started .. wouldn't it be cool too see the t-rex head butt the horse ... and voila .. it happened! great job .. can't wait to see it finished.

joel3d
10-21-2009, 06:54 PM
This is looking good. You have a nice reel, Impressive forward animation skills.

Not too sure about the anticipation before the head bump, but that's just me.

vfxart
10-21-2009, 11:20 PM
One thing I felt more than really saw at first, but it seems to be there: the horse and tRex have a very similar timing on their major motion, a very similar feel to their rhythm, almost as if they're in sync.

CGTalk Moderation
10-21-2009, 11:20 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.