http://images.apple.com/moviesxml/s/disney/posters/ponyo_l200906222119.jpg

RobertoOrtiz
06-24-2009, 04:13 AM
All bow before the master....
I cant wait!

-R

JoshBowman
06-24-2009, 07:41 AM
I really like previous Miyazaki works right up until Spirited Away, after which he seemed to lose his touch a bit. Of course I'll reserve judgment on Ponyo until I see it.

Oh look, more main characters that look like ones from previous films.

DDS
06-24-2009, 07:45 AM
it looks...different. Can't wait!

Stimpy
06-24-2009, 08:12 AM
gawd.. that trailer voice.. why oh why...

Boone
06-24-2009, 09:29 AM
The master of random shit returns! :bowdown:

Nah, seriously, I enjoyed Howl's Moving Castle and so I'm always up for Miyazaki's films. Sometimes I think Miyazaki is on a trip with his content at times, but the results are usually quite entertaining...

szewei
06-24-2009, 10:31 AM
UGH! IMO that trailer really doesn't help the movie! It's horrible! The voice, the fonts, the timing! Ugh!
But don't let that stop you: the movie is great! I am a Miyazaki fan, so I might be a bit biased... but it's really sweet. Much more of a kid's movie than his latest creations. Kind of like Totoro. It's not my favourite Miyazaki movie but definitely worth seeing! :)

ivanisavich
06-24-2009, 10:38 AM
Yuck...looks awful. Mind-blowingly bad dialogue doesn't help either. Ie, "You're the only one who can save the planet....DO IT NOW!"

Really Miyazaki, Really? Maybe it's just a poor translation.

redCigarette
06-24-2009, 10:49 AM
The movie is gonna be great. I am not gonna get mislead by the trailer and horrible dialogues.
Maybe will just wait for a japanese version with english subtitles.

Boone
06-24-2009, 10:51 AM
Yuck...looks awful. Mind-blowingly bad dialogue doesn't help either. Ie, "You're the only one who can save the planet....DO IT NOW!"

Really Miyazaki, Really? Maybe it's just a poor translation.

C'MAN, KILL ME - I'M HERE! DO IT! DO IT NOW! :D

I just hope there is another line similar to "I'll be back!" in the final film...then we will have all the evidence that Miyazaki is a huge Arnie fan... :cool:

Marsch
06-24-2009, 11:26 AM
I have already seen this film and it is pure Miyazaki awesomeness :beer: Just don't let the horrible english dubbing fool you. :cry: It is really good film but just watch it in its original language! English version has been released by Disney so they might have altered some thing during translation process... :argh:

JoshBowman
06-24-2009, 01:06 PM
don't worry :) there's no way I'm watching this in anything other than the original Japanese. If I've learned anything from Spirited Away it's that you should always watch the original language. The girl in Spirited Away went from annoying, spoiled brat in the english version to a girl who is able to cope with situations unfairly thrust upon her and overcoming them though her own strength and commitment to her friends in the Japanese version.

Pentagramma
06-24-2009, 01:47 PM
The english voice casting is, as usual in Miyazaki films, silly. Watch it in japanese with subtitles, if you can.

Anyway the film is great. It´s a surreal, crazy, sweet experience. After Finding Nemo, one could suspect that there´s not much left to show in an animated ocean. But the Ponyo ocean is no regular ocean at all - it´s a dream-like reign, with living waves and magical creatures.

Besides all the magic and epic action scenes, I specially like the inner lives of their films characters. The small gestures they do, the subtleties of their expressions, are the "plus", the "thing" that truly makes Miyazaki different from the rest.

Excelent film. Not my favorite Ghibli film, but one of the best.

cresshead
06-24-2009, 02:18 PM
that english trailer is terrible, disney obvoiusly do not want japanese films to have a shot over in the usa/europe....my gosh they really went out on a limb to find a idiot to narrate it and the translation is..beyond 'bad'..the english voice director should be held upside down over the edge of a hi rise block and to make him swear not to do this ever again....

FabioMSilva
06-24-2009, 02:27 PM
having seen all from miyazaki(movies, tv series etc) i have to say this was one of the ones i disliked the most. it's not bad but, certainly not as good as his other movies

DrBalthar
06-24-2009, 06:43 PM
Wait a second, is that the same Ponyo as this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s8OmqmMeRQ

That would be really old!

SheepFactory
06-24-2009, 06:51 PM
Liam neeson sounds just like how he sounded in "taken" so I cant take this movie seriously. :D

I am not a fan of Miyazaki anyway. I think his movies are overrated. Grave of the Fireflies by Isao Takahata is a much better movie than anything Miyazaki has ever done imo.

You can flame me now.

Pentagramma
06-24-2009, 09:33 PM
Liam neeson sounds just like how he sounded in "taken" so I cant take this movie seriously. :D

I am not a fan of Miyazaki anyway. I think his movies are overrated. Grave of the Fireflies by Isao Takahata is a much better movie than anything Miyazaki has ever done imo.

You can flame me now.

Nah. I´m sure you´ll see the light someday. ;)

But, seriously, Isao Takahata´s films are very cool, too. I specially like PomPoko , even if there are a little too many badger super-testicles in sight for my taste .

Buexe
06-24-2009, 10:12 PM
I am not a fan of Miyazaki anyway. I think his movies are overrated.

That is something I never dared to say, but I agree. M´s movies are good but not glorious from my humble little european perspective.

JoshBowman
06-24-2009, 10:43 PM
Yeah Miyazaki has his hits and misses. I'd say his misses were Porko Rosso and Howl's Moving Castle and his hits were My Neighbour Totoro, Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away. Not that his other films weren't good, they just didn't stick in my mind as much as those have. Oh and I found Pompoko one of the most mind-numbingly boring animated films I've ever experience, couldn't even finish the film and never want to see it again...but the giant testicles thing was rather funny.

ThomasMahler
06-24-2009, 11:29 PM

Well, you're comparing his stuff to one of the best animated films ever created.

I still wouldn't say they're overrated, Mononoke, Spirited Away, Totoro,... Miyazaki directed a lot of masterpieces.

cresshead
06-24-2009, 11:38 PM
none of these films can hold a candle to vexille, skyblue, planetes or chobits in my opinion

Intervain
06-25-2009, 12:11 AM
Howl's Moving Castle a miss? Gosh it's my fav out of all his movies so far. I have to agree though, the trailer for this one doesn't look exciting.

Boone
06-25-2009, 01:00 AM
Howl's Moving Castle a miss? Gosh it's my fav out of all his movies so far. I have to agree though, the trailer for this one doesn't look exciting.

I think Howl's was the best too. It just seemed to be far more interesting than his other works - though the background War he added was just tacked on for the sake of delivering the line "now...lets put an end to this war.". Fantastic dubbing cast too.

wolfmanyoda
06-25-2009, 02:18 AM
It's funny how much action they put into this trailer when compared to the japanese trailer, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dcw3y4rpdTk&feature=related) which makes it look more like "fish kid goes on vacation."

My kids have been watching that one for months but I think it was more for the song. They really like it, but it just sticks in my head for days! :banghead:

isoparmB
06-25-2009, 02:25 AM
I'd say his misses were Porko Rosso and Howl's Moving Castle and his hits were My Neighbour Totoro, Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away.

I dunno. I rather liked Porco Rosso. It had one of the most nostalgic feelings for any of his works, and I rather liked the light treatment he did with the story (real refreshing in comparison to all the post-apocalyptic fight fests in some other movies). It definitely stand out as one of my favourites.

DimensionalPunk
06-25-2009, 03:33 AM
In a perfect world, every night's dream would be like a Miyazaki movie, and the days would be spent just contemplating it.

Gentle Fury
06-25-2009, 05:32 AM
looks like a cross between Totoro, Nausuca, and Kiki's Delivery Service. The trailer makes it looks cheesy as all hell, which i'm sure it is not. I'll wait to see the subtitled version on blu-ray.

ngrava
06-25-2009, 06:10 AM
Wow, I've never seen such negative reactions to a Miyazaki film before. I genuinely enjoy just about everything the guy has done. Nausicaa had a pretty profound effect on my when I red the books and when I first saw the movie back in the 80's. I've been pleasantly surprised by his movies ever since. I never think of myself as a huge fan or anything but now that I think about it, I guess I am. You guys just have to remember that now and then he makes movies for kids. I don't see anything wrong with that. And, yeah, this movie has been out in Japanese for a while now. In fact, I think he's already a made a new movie since then or at least one on it's way soon.

Raty
06-25-2009, 06:36 AM
Have you seen Laputa? That one is sooooo good! My favorite for sure :)

JoshBowman
06-25-2009, 06:58 AM
That youtube trailer is so much better at convincing me to see Ponyo, it's like night and day.

I'd like to add that I'm not trying to deride anyone's opinions on Miyazaki's films, different things resonate with different people depending on our tastes, past experiences and uniqueness. I did very much enjoy Laputa, Nausicaa, Kiki's Delivery Service and others of his i didn't mention but not to the same level as Totoro or Spirited Away. I think it's fantastic that a director can tell so many unique and varied stories which different people gravitate to and cherrish.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Ponyo, just not the english dub which does not seem to fit the intended tone of the movie at all.

chemkid
06-25-2009, 07:18 AM
the japanese dvd release is due on 3rd of july. if i'm not mistaken there will be an english and french sub included. so, just make sure to give your dvd-wishlist to your friends going to japan this summer.

chem!

KOKE
06-25-2009, 10:23 AM
Ponyo is ok but not great IMO.

My favorite is Spirited Away, followed by Laputa Castle in the sky, Mononoke, porco Rosso, Howls etc.

Actually "Laputa Castle in the sky" has a very funny name if you translate it to spanish bacuse "Laputa" literally translates to "TheBitch".
Since in Spain they translate and dub everything, when I saw the DVD cover of the film I though it was going to be some kind of weird hentai movie or something.

Miyazaki is still a master.

JK.

:D.

undoz
06-25-2009, 12:44 PM
While I enjoy greatly the other Miyazaki's films, I felt that Ponyo was a bit lacking and it reminded me a lot of the little mermaid .
Also the target age of this film is very low.

aes
06-25-2009, 07:56 PM
I think Miyazaki is aiming for really young with Ponyo, like preschoolers. Totorro was early grades k-3, Kiki later primary school grades 4-7. I didn't really like his Panda Go Panda which also felt aimed at preschoolers. But most of Miyazaki's stuff has been so great that I'll definitely give this one a go. Sucks to have to wait for the Dvd release with the subs, I can never stand the American voices they stick on.
Lol, I remember seeing some behind the scenes where Pete Doctor (Up & Monsters Inc director) was tapped to provide the dubbing to Howl's and he mentions that it's hard because he's one of the guys who always watches foreign films with subtitles.
So anyway, subject matter and age don't seem interesting to me, but I know better and will see it with subs as soon as I can.

RobertoOrtiz
06-26-2009, 04:18 AM
Wow, I've never seen such negative reactions to a Miyazaki film before. I genuinely enjoy just about everything the guy has done. Nausicaa had a pretty profound effect on my when I red the books and when I first saw the movie back in the 80's. .

Same here.
Nausicaa is one of the few films that I can honestly say that it changed my life.
No kidding. It really made me understand how important is to stand up to your values.

For me this man can do no wrong.
He gets his characters. And as a follow up to the previous post, I have never seen a writer (in any media) that knows how to write kid characters so well.
It blows my mind how he "gets" them in every stage of their young lives.

pomru
06-26-2009, 09:33 AM
Actually "Laputa Castle in the sky" has a very funny name if you translate it to spanish bacuse "Laputa" literally translates to "TheBitch".
Since in Spain they translate and dub everything, when I saw the DVD cover of the film I though it was going to be some kind of weird hentai movie or something.

Heh, Miyazaki was inspired by Jonathan Swift's description of the flying island of Laputa in Gulliver's Travels. Swift himself was fluent in many languages, so he must have known the translation of "La puta". To this day, I still don't know if Miyazaki was aware that Swift used "Laputa" as an expression of satire. Naïve or not, Laputa: Castle in the Sky is a brilliant movie.

WyattHarris
06-26-2009, 04:23 PM
The animation style looks much older but I see it was released in 2008, that's interesting. I honestly haven't seen a Miyazaki movie I didn't like. As he himself said once each of his films is it's own little world with it's own rules. I'll be excited to see this plus you guys are mentioning a few I need to check out. I couldn't tell you which of his films is my favorite but I especially liked Spirited Away and Howl's.

Now for something that I'm sure I'll get heat for, I can't stand Japanese voice actors. Bleah, all their voices sound the same. Give me good dubs with talented english voice actors any day.

By contrast, I don't feel that way about the few Japanese films I've seen. Those would be Kurosawa's of course. The voices are perfectly natural when coming from the actors themselves. Must be the casting.

eliseu gouveia
06-26-2009, 05:01 PM
Oh and I found Pompoko one of the most mind-numbingly boring animated films I've ever experience, couldn't even finish the film and never want to see it again...but the giant testicles thing was rather funny.

Pompoko was not Miyazaki´s baby, is was written and directed by his Studio Ghibli colleague Isao Takahata.

JoshBowman
06-27-2009, 01:12 AM
Pompoko was not Miyazaki´s baby, is was written and directed by his Studio Ghibli colleague Isao Takahata.

Yeah I know :)

OneSharpMarble
06-28-2009, 04:48 AM
I really didn't like this movie at all, it was boring and didn't go anywhere. Animation was gorgous but all in all it seemed like a waste of time.

dtang
06-28-2009, 08:57 AM
I have never seen a writer (in any media) that knows how to write kid characters so well.
It blows my mind how he "gets" them in every stage of their young lives.

Totally know what you mean! He's a kid at heart. It seems that time only affected his physical body, and granted him immense knowledge and skill in animation and story telling. It's like as Miyazaki age, his imagination goes wilder, bolder, and sometimes crazier, but what 5 year old kid doesn't act like that when grown-ups just don't get what the kid is thinking? Well, Miyazaki does and translate it into films. :bowdown:

Hey, not everyone get Picasso, but everyone acknowledge his talent. Looking forward to the film. :thumbsup:

patrickdeza
06-28-2009, 09:28 AM
Miyazaki is my idol.
I'd really like to see ponyo!
My favorite ghibli movies are:
Whisper of the Heart and Grave of the Fireflies

Dennik
06-30-2009, 12:17 AM
I always watch those films in the original language and subtitles. Even though I don't know a single word in Japanese, it adds a lot to the experience.

sfox8
06-30-2009, 06:15 PM
Now for something that I'm sure I'll get heat for, I can't stand Japanese voice actors. Bleah, all their voices sound the same. Give me good dubs with talented english voice actors any day.

By contrast, I don't feel that way about the few Japanese films I've seen. Those would be Kurosawa's of course. The voices are perfectly natural when coming from the actors themselves. Must be the casting.

I thought I was the only one! Glad to finally find someone else who agrees. Personally I've always found Japanese voice actors to sound way more annoying than English ones. Plus, it makes it harder for me to focus on the story and imagery when I have to read the subtitles the whole time, adding to how annoying I find the voices. The japanese films I have found with good actors are few and far between in my opinion but there definitely are some. Generally though, I prefer dubs and I never thought Miyazaki's films ever had horrible English dubs. I really loved the cast for Laputa, Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle specifically.

As for Ponyo, it does look a little weirder than normal Miyazaki films but I've loved all of them so far. So I guess they're skipping Tales from Earthsea for translation then? I know it's Miyazaki's son but it looked really interesting despite some negative reviews...

FabioMSilva
06-30-2009, 07:14 PM

You can flame me now.

liam neeson in ponyo -awesome ..so he's gonna say this to ponyo? "i will find you...and i am going to kill u"...(dont remember the rest of the phrase, forgive meeE)

some movies ARE over rated, others are , well, impecable...

ponyo is imho, overrated.

now time for the flames Sheep. TAKAHATA is like Manuel DE OLIVEIRA(portuguese film director) aka THE MOST BORING DIRECTORS OF ALL TIME. I bet they are competing against each another to see u can bore people the most. I saw grave of fireflies, it was good, but boring as hell(best boring movie u'll ever see: the hidden blade), but yeah even boring movies can be Good if u get to watch them to the end.
I Tried to watch Only yesterday 4 Times, I cant past throught that scene inside the car. They take like 20 minutes inside a damn car talking about nothing. MOST BORING SCENE EVER MADE BY MAN!

Ok Flame mode off now :P

Pentagramma
06-30-2009, 07:34 PM
"Only yesterday" is a great film, IMHO. I like explosions and action scenes as much as everyone, but sometimes what really counts is deeper than that. I consider refreshing to watch a film that is about simple things, as "hope" and "dreams".

In other words, what some call "boring", others call "sensitive". :)

ViCoX
06-30-2009, 07:37 PM
Haven`t seen ponyo, but I`m looking foward to see it. : )
I enjoy Miyazaki movies, but you cant deny that the characters are very similar in the end. Biggest impact was the first 2 I saw, totoro and porco rosso, after seeing those it has somehow faded.
Grave of the Fireflies is still my favorite from Ghibli, but its matter of personal taste in the end. I just loved more realistic characters and powerful emotions. It was slow and booring in a good way : )

WyattHarris
06-30-2009, 08:22 PM
"Only yesterday" is a great film, IMHO. I like explosions and action scenes as much as everyone, but sometimes what really counts is deeper than that. I consider refreshing to watch a film that is about simple things, as "hope" and "dreams".

You know what my favorite Kurosawa film is, Red Beard. No big samurai fight scenes or ronin adventurers or much any action at all. It is about a young doctor assigned to a very small town under the tutelage of a master doctor (Toshiro Mifune) in feudal Japan. The young doctor is disgusted by his assignment but eventually learns to appreciate it.

I wouldn't call it sensitive, just very thoughtful. So yeah, I get what you are saying PentaGramma. :D Check it out if you haven't seen it.

FabioMSilva
06-30-2009, 08:25 PM

i like sensitive movies too, but the themes depicted in only yesterday are boring to me.
many could consider Kiki boring but i love it. well..perhaps its not the best example of more stopped movie that could be considered sensitive, as it isnt very "stopped"-Shawshank Redemption, Old boy, or Takeshi kitano movies, or yoji yamada movies(one of them is a jobless samurai trying to get married, not mch action whatsoever for...2 hours and half)- There u go! :D

FabioMSilva
07-05-2009, 02:20 PM
I just remembered Takahata did Heidi...and that is awesome

CGTalk Moderation
07-05-2009, 02:20 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.