PDA

View Full Version : Glassworks VFX purchase Spheron HDR Camera

ptech
06-23-2009, 10:53 PM
'Glassworks has just purchased a state of the art Spheron camera! With its patented 32bit HDR panoramic capture facilities and toughbook onboard control centre, allied with the top of the range bomb proof industry standard Gitzo tripod, the Spheron camera is equipped to go anywhere and take pictures of 360 degree panoramic images in the most hazardous of conditions. It has already been pressed in to service in such exotic locations as Black Island studios and Malcolm Ryan's south London studio, as well as various stations, offices and parks!! ...'

details - http://www.glassworks.co.uk/

ivanisavich
06-23-2009, 11:09 PM
It's CGNews that someone bought a camera now?

mushroomgod
06-23-2009, 11:13 PM
last week i bought some socks

INFINITE
06-23-2009, 11:35 PM

I bet they didnt cost about 20,000 though did they :surprised

Awesome bit of kit, great to see that someone can actually afford it :p

mushroomgod
06-24-2009, 12:12 AM
I bet they didnt cost about 20,000 though did they :surprised

Awesome bit of kit, great to see that someone can actually afford it :p

well, they where very very nice socks ;)

But...back on topic (since I took it off topic)

I really dont see the point of a Spheron for HDRI creation - I know it does other things to, and has uses outside of CG work, but for HDRI creation is it really worth it ?

A few years ago I could see the point - but now for less than half the price you can buy a very highend DSLR (4500)/fisheye(500)/tripod(250)/panohead(250)/optional laptop(500). And while not having the same dynamic range of the Spheron (it comes mightly close - 18stops to 21stops I belive) it would also be considrably faster and have other uses outside of HDRI creation, oh...and the final HDR would be about 35/40% larger aswell.

boomji
06-24-2009, 07:29 AM
Glassworks has just purchased a state of the art Spheron camera!
So what !!!

No shit...What color. :D

b

pokoy
06-24-2009, 09:06 AM
as mushroomgod stated, you'll be surprised to see that in a year from now you'll favour the highend DSLR over the spheron. the only thing that you'll miss will probably the 3d measurement feature, but that's not really worth all the money.

frogspasm
06-24-2009, 10:00 PM
Sound like studio marketing hype from the 90's... "Now featuring the state of the art Alias Power Animator software running on the best SGI RealityEngine2 Workstations!"

I guess if you spend enough money on something you just want to tell people about it.

mr Bob
06-25-2009, 12:05 PM
There goes the beer budget for the poor staff

jbradley
06-26-2009, 12:14 AM
I guess if you spend enough money on something you just want to tell people about it.

It's not that much money unless the studio is quite tiny.

CGTalk Moderation
06-26-2009, 12:14 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.