PDA

View Full Version : fixing seams

Boa
05-10-2002, 04:01 PM
Hi all.
can someone point me to a tutorial on how to fix (unwanted) visible seams and how to do it in 3ds max 4?

Thanks,
Boa:rolleyes:

jnglemeat
05-10-2002, 05:43 PM
i dont know of any tutorials. BUT! , i assume youre using a bitmap, open that map on photoshop and under filters>other>offset, use that to offset the map by 150x150 pixels and youll see the seam in your map, just paint over that seam, or use rubber stamp. repeat the offseting coule of times just to be sure all the seams are gone.

Boa
05-11-2002, 04:08 AM
Hi jnglemeat,
thank you for trying to help.
But it's not a seam between the ends of one map. I should have been more precise: The seam is between two different maps located one texture.

I guess that I have to use a seam image. What I don't know is:

1. how do I generate the basis for making this seam image? An unwarp of the texture around the seam would be ideal. How can I achieve this? All tools I know unwrap the UVs and not the texture.
2. How do I combine the seam image with the main texture?

Hope that the question is more clearly now,
Boa

tpe
05-11-2002, 09:22 AM
Hi there, i guess you have a wireframe indicating where your seams are on the texture?

then there are a couple of ways to do it and what one you use depends on what sort of model it is and where you are going to use it.

One way is to put an alpha map over the seams, you use your texture with the mesh (or screenshot off your uv coordinates on your texture) and paint a thin soft black line over all the seams in your paint program and use that layer as an alpha map, that way ou can hide the texture where there are bits that dont match up and use suitable procedurals only in those areas. as the edge of the alpha is made with a soft brush it blends it together and makes the seam invisible, but you do get some bluring.

Another way (for games) is to copy the area on one side of the seam (perhaps down the side of the torso) and mirror it (and distort as necessary) onto the other side of the coresponding seam.

hope that helps

tpe

Boa
05-11-2002, 02:23 PM
Thanks tpe, I will try the first one.

Boa

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.