PDA

View Full Version : Hard Edges and Bevel Smoothing

adam|zeliasz
06-23-2009, 03:41 PM
I'm creating a low polygon concrete barricade for a game engine. How do you select certain edges and give them a "hard" edge? Also when I bevel I want to keep the round level at a 0 to keep the poly count low, but I would like to smooth the beveled edges, and not give it such a hard look. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

adam|zeliasz
06-23-2009, 05:15 PM
Maybe some sort of smoothing angle...?

Skarz
06-23-2009, 09:40 PM
Depands on the game engine. For something like Unreal 3 you would need to select and cut the polygons out and paste them back in. This "breaks out" the polygons and you will get a hard edge along the edges where you cut out the polys.

Modo's current way of doing materials does not have smoothing groups and is not very friendly for many game engines (as they tend to look for smoothing grous and such).

Novakog
06-25-2009, 02:34 AM
I'm not sure exactly how this would be applied to game engines, but in modo smoothing angles are defined in their materials.

CGTalk Moderation
06-25-2009, 02:34 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.