PDA

View Full Version : EXPOSÉ 1 has landed!

Pages : [1] 2

Leonard
07-25-2003, 12:26 PM
The first books have rolled in and we have begun shipping.
Before reading any further or emailing us about where your order is - please read the FAQ here (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=81055).

EXPOSÉ looks astonishing. To everyone who has supported and made this book possible, thank you. Congratulations to the artists and to all members of CGTalk who have made this a resounding success. You are all part of this history in the making.

EXPOSÉ will be on display at SIGGRAPH 2003. Discreet will be showing the Limited Edition and Gnomon will have the standard editions. There will also be 18 different collectors cards at the Boxx Technologies, NewTek and Maxon booths, so make sure you visit all the following vendors: Discreet, Gnomon, NewTek, Boxx, Maxon (write it down). Collect all the cards, cuz they look awesome.

If you haven't ordered your copy of EXPOSÉ yet, head on over to the Ballistic Publishing website.
http://www.ballisticpublishing.com

(my apologies for the color shifts in the photos as the lighting in the room wasn't so good!)

http://www.cgtalk.com/cgtalk_happenings/first_books/3.jpg

http://www.cgtalk.com/cgtalk_happenings/first_books/4.jpg

Leonard
07-25-2003, 12:27 PM
http://www.cgtalk.com/cgtalk_happenings/first_books/5.jpg

http://www.cgtalk.com/cgtalk_happenings/first_books/6.jpg

http://www.cgtalk.com/cgtalk_happenings/first_books/1.jpg
At the printers, proofing the plates.

http://www.cgtalk.com/cgtalk_happenings/first_books/2.jpg
The Heidelberg press.

Seven
07-25-2003, 12:41 PM
Fantastic Leonard, can't wait!

shadow
07-25-2003, 12:41 PM
WOW, looks great Leonard. I can't wait to see the end result in the mail :) .

souleage
07-25-2003, 12:52 PM
Beautiful, I wan't into the Photo take a book now ..... if I have the wizardry,ha ha.....
:drool:

Equinoxx
07-25-2003, 12:58 PM
Congrats on a job VERY WELL done you guys.

they look magnifique . . .

now go and start shippin those babies and i might recieve it in time before i go to Isla Margarita for 2 weeks :cool:

lildragon
07-25-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Equinoxx
before i go to Isla Margarita for 2 weeks :cool:

AHA! so that's why you copted out on coming to SIggy with us ;) uh huh

-lild

SimonReeves
07-25-2003, 01:02 PM
more than anything, i've enjoyed seeing Mark Snoswell's funky jumpers..

I look forward to it arriving :thumbsup:

lebada
07-25-2003, 01:03 PM
can you guys also print BIG posters? i mean of the images in the book...in the long run of course...those could sell easily...people are always trying to get they're rooms look nicer.hehe:applause:

rickycox
07-25-2003, 01:04 PM
ah very sweet. where that printed in australia?

Leonard
07-25-2003, 01:07 PM
Yes we will do a run of posters for various schools to put up.

The books were indeed printed in Australia. Right here in Adelaide.

Leonard

RuneV
07-25-2003, 01:20 PM
woho! Can't wait to get my hands on one!
They look so good i could eat it!

Icarus
07-25-2003, 01:41 PM
Well Worth The Wait, Time For good ol' Fassion Reading :) errr... Looking :)

TyR-

Howzat
07-25-2003, 01:46 PM
awesome!
Any idea when orders within Australia for hard covers will be filled?

sigma
07-25-2003, 01:53 PM
I seriously cant wait to get my hands on my copy. It just looks so good!

*sigma does the happy dance http://www.cydonian.com/marsforum/images/smilies/banana.gif

Error
07-25-2003, 02:18 PM
!!!it's a dream come true!!!
world peace..

Jimzip
07-25-2003, 02:24 PM
Soooo sweeet.. I'm soo happy I've ordered one..
I just hope I can get my work in there someday! :love:
Shipping starts late this month, so not much waiting to do! :applause:

Jimzip :D

P.S. Too many smilies in my posts.. :hmm: I just can't help it!

Ian Jones
07-25-2003, 02:59 PM
Yeah, just as everyone else... I can't wait till my copy arrives!

Signal2Noise
07-25-2003, 03:08 PM
Woops! I notice a few spelling mistakes on some of the pages in those pics!

JUST KIDDING!!!

Can't wait for my Limited Ed. to arrive.:drool:

PokeChop
07-25-2003, 03:10 PM
Been a long time since I have been this EXCITED about something! Thank goodness for the lot of you guys that made this possible! CAN NOT WAIT! CAN NOT WAIT! CAN NOT WAIT! Come on Mr. Postman...

a3dmonkey
07-25-2003, 03:39 PM
very nice there.

will you be selling any at Siggraph this year? I was hoping I could pick one up there.

Cheers.

Michael

thx1138
07-25-2003, 03:40 PM
And they said heaven doesn't exist !!! It does :)

OMG, I can't wait. And the worst is. I'll be on vacation in exactly 1 week. I doubt it'll be on time. So I'll have to wait another 5 weeks !!!! Arghh...........

cg_matt
07-25-2003, 03:42 PM
one of those leather babies is mine!!! can't wait I want it nooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!

:D

MaDSheeP
07-25-2003, 03:52 PM
how many pages is it? =)

i can't wait to get mine!!

proton
07-25-2003, 03:54 PM
You guys have out done yourselves.....This is amazing! I can't wait to get mine at SIGGRAPH.....Come bytheNewTek booth and have a look at My copy :)

KevinG_ADSK
07-25-2003, 04:04 PM
Congratulations Leo and Mark!! -- guard our 25 copies with care as you fly up to San Diego!!

Discreet will have copies of Exposé 1 at our SIGGRAPH booth - #2836 - so, come by and have a look.

Oh.. we'll be showing some other new stuff too! ;)

All CGTalk members - come to the Discreet SIGGRAPH booth to say hello!! I'd like to meet all of you that are coming!

Kevin G. - Discreet

Equinoxx
07-25-2003, 04:08 PM
Kevin, loosen up those lips man . . . all this suspense round Evolve is KILLING me hehe.

be sure to let the cgtalk maxusers know what up when the cat is officially outof the bag :)

cheers

ceql
07-25-2003, 04:27 PM
awesome! :drool: :drool: I love all these neat lil photoshoots of the progress of expose, just makes the whole CGTalk community feel all warm and fuzzy :applause:

MarkSnoswell
07-25-2003, 04:28 PM
Just a note on shipping:

Shipping should commence on Tuesday. All three editions should be shipping in increacing quantities for the first week and it will probably take three weeks in total to clear the backlog of almost 2,000 orders!! .. and I bet we get a rush of orders over SIGGRAPH.

We will be emailing everyone as their books ship with FedEx tracking numbers. All books are fully insured.

Just a reminder because everyone forgets this no matter how many times we tell them... if there are any local VAT, GST or whatever taxes in your country that it's your responsability to pay them when the books get to you -- that's the only way international shipping works. I know US and Canada have no such taxes but most EU conutries do -- often a single shipment like a book or two gets in without catching any taxes but that's just the luck of the draw.

We will be issuing new priging as of August 1st -- that wont affect any orders we already have -- even if they ship after the price changes.

Thats it ...

see some of you at SIGGRAPH.

Mark

bentllama
07-25-2003, 04:57 PM
Looks nice. Great job Mark and Leo. I am awaiting my copy, sweating with delicious anticipation.

Signal2Noise
07-25-2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by MaDSheeP
how many pages is it? =)

192 glistening pages of pure CG heaven!:drool: :love:

Pinky_Powers
07-25-2003, 05:21 PM
I plan on buying one as soon as possible!

Leonard
07-25-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by a3dmonkey
will you be selling any at Siggraph this year? I was hoping I could pick one up there.

EXPOSE' will not be on sale at SIGGRAPH. It will be on display at the Discreet and Gnomon booths, and there may be a select others walking around with it, however, they are only available for purchase at the moment on-line.

Many people are asking when it will hit the book shops and the answer is that it will only go through distribution after the initial orders have shipped. If you want the book fast, order it online as it may take literally months before it gets to resellers and book shops.

Thanks,

Leo

Remi
07-25-2003, 06:02 PM
Did the peeps that are featured in it get free copies?

Leonard
07-25-2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Remi
Did the peeps that are featured in it get free copies?

Featured artists were given the opportunity to purchase the special Artist's Edition which is physically the same as the Limited Collectors Edition (leather cover, gold embossed text), at the price of the soft cover. There are over 350 artists in the book, and there is simply no way to subsidise free books for everyone.

L.

proton
07-25-2003, 06:39 PM
Having your work in a book like this is prize enuff....IMHO:buttrock:

Neil
07-25-2003, 07:18 PM
I fear that the cards at Siggraph are gonna run out before I even get there. Do you got enough to last into mid week?

santosLord
07-25-2003, 09:00 PM
I get a funny feeling in my legs everytime I see this book .. Is it me or do I fell like im ... wow... there it went again.. You guys did an awesome job.. cant wait to get to sig.. to get my hands on it...

giantrobot
07-25-2003, 09:12 PM
It is true...seeing these images of the production process is great!

I keep trying to spot a shot of the page with my piece on it for fun :)

That shot of the print press is awesome. Congrats on a book well done guys.

Nikodemus
07-25-2003, 10:06 PM
yyippppeeeeeee :D

big thanks to the artists and EVERYONE that had part in making this fine book !

Boone
07-25-2003, 10:32 PM
Opps! Sorry - just a quick edit. I origionally asked if EXPOSE was going to be sold in book-stores - I was just too lazy to read all the posts in this thread.

I'll start saving for it now...:thumbsup:

Cararan
07-25-2003, 10:35 PM
So its just a matter of time before i get my copy :applause: :applause: :applause:

leigh
07-25-2003, 11:07 PM
What a superb achievement! Congratuations to everyone involved on a job brilliantly done :applause:

JBoskma
07-26-2003, 12:26 AM
woot \o/ :thumbsup:

Possible to order a copy from the local bookstore here in the Netherlands?

SimonReeves
07-26-2003, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by JBoskma
woot \o/ :thumbsup:

Possible to order a copy from the local bookstore here in the Netherlands?

have you not read the thread?

:shame:

Valkyrien
07-26-2003, 03:07 AM
*whispers something in Leonard's ear about free sets of those cards for Limited Edition orders*

*walks away casually, whistling*

:D:D:D

*makes camp by the mail slot*

I'll be readdy, will YOU?:p

Nimue
07-26-2003, 04:49 AM
yea that would be great when i open up the package and find those cards in it. ahh life would be sweet.:beer:

SEPHROTH64
07-26-2003, 01:35 PM
WOOT!

mr3dguy
07-26-2003, 02:26 PM
Valkyrien
Dude thats my spot you just pitched your tent on..Ive been waiting here for a few months now. Maybe move yours a few meters that way. Im sure u can still walk to your mailbox from there. *cooks another marshmellow on the fire*
*listens as the crickets chirp "freeeee carrrrrds"*

chuckles
07-26-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Mark.Snoswell

We will be emailing everyone as their books ship with FedEx tracking numbers. All books are fully insured.

Any way to change the email addy you ordered with? Switched isps so my old was removed.

alben
07-26-2003, 06:51 PM

I cannot wait until the book ships to me.

I still have not recieved any email from you guys but a friend of mine ordered the book after I did and he told me he has already received an email.

Cube6
07-26-2003, 11:49 PM
w00000t!

Looks great, I'm glad this site is makin that money to keep it goind :D

hanzo
07-27-2003, 03:54 AM
ah, very very nice you guys...

to bad I still dont have enouth money to order mine :argh: :cry:

Mibus
07-27-2003, 04:44 AM
I'm just miffed I went home at 3pm - I was standing in that very room just hours before the books got there. (I work in that office too).

*sniff*

And now they're all on their way to SIGGRAPH.

Oh the shame! The shame!

Valkyrien
07-27-2003, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by mr3dguy
Valkyrien
Dude thats my spot you just pitched your tent on..Ive been waiting here for a few months now. Maybe move yours a few meters that way. Im sure u can still walk to your mailbox from there. *cooks another marshmellow on the fire*
*listens as the crickets chirp "freeeee carrrrrds"*

that's what you think!!

*growls at mr3dguy*
it's MY LAMB CHOP!!!

urgaffel
07-27-2003, 01:43 PM
Wonderful news. Just one question. About when do you think the books will arrive in EU? I'm currently in Japan and won't be home until the 11th of august, I just need to know whether my friend has to forge my signature or not :D Guess I can use the tracking number once I get the email from you guys, but I'd still be very happy if you could guestimate a timeframe for me... I wish I could be there at siggraph to congratulate you in person...

Mark, please make sure Leo doesn't repeat what he did at the speakers lunch on the sunday after the 3d festival ;) (Or, if you feel so inclined, make sure he does hehe)

I'll definitely be there next year when you will be showcasing Expose 3 :)

3DZukini
07-27-2003, 07:16 PM
I think throwing in those cards for the leatherbound orders is a fantastic idea.....of course I think that, why wouldn't I....hehe....I'm going insane and talking to myself just waiting for it!!......MY PRECIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!.....hehe.....congrats to the people at Ballistic for what looks to be an awesome presentation of CG art!:applause:

liquidik
07-27-2003, 08:09 PM
Well, guys that's absolutely superb!!!!

Very well done, again!

:applause: :beer:

KevinG_ADSK
07-28-2003, 04:38 AM
Hello All -
Just a quick note from the San Diego Hyatt - Discreet's SIGGRAPH Hotel - Leo and Ali came by today as we were getting ready for the Discreet 'EVOLVE' launch event and User party... (Monday, 28. July 6pm- 9pm)

They had a box.
What was inside?
Discreet's first copies of the Limited Edition of EXPOSE 1.

Here are the first pics. Guys.. this book is AWESOME-
Come by the Discreet booth and have a look !

See you at the show!!
Best,
Kevin G. --

http://www.cgtalk.com/cgtalk_happenings/discreet_expose/1.jpg

http://www.cgtalk.com/cgtalk_happenings/discreet_expose/2.jpg

http://www.cgtalk.com/cgtalk_happenings/discreet_expose/3.jpg

http://www.cgtalk.com/cgtalk_happenings/discreet_expose/4.jpg

lildragon
07-28-2003, 04:41 AM
Very nice, look at those bums smiling there without me :p, I'll be there late tomorrow night, can't wait to reach! See you there Kevin.

-lild

show
07-28-2003, 04:50 AM
very cool :)
nice one kevG_Discreet3D

wish i could be there

Valkyrien
07-28-2003, 06:56 AM
bah, you guys suck:p

*has been compulsively checking his email every 3 seconds or so*

hey, it's already well into monday in Aussieland, they could've mailed it already!!:D:D

thecut
07-28-2003, 10:41 AM
When catch them ??
I wanna one book, when is it possible ???

More
07-28-2003, 12:21 PM
Cant wait to recieve my copy :scream:

JBoskma
07-29-2003, 12:31 AM
DAMNIT had to cancel my order at step 4. When noticed payment could only be done by creditcard. I'm 17, still a year to wait, before I can order it?! waah wacom.com let's you pay at the door, snif. Damnit again....:thumbsdow

fr3drik
07-29-2003, 01:50 AM
Does Exposé "only" consist of images?
I would really love to be able to read about the artist's thoughts/techniques/methods for each piece. This would make Exposé very "inspireducal".

Anyways, I am so looking forward to receiving my copies and also I hope that I will make it to SIGGRAPH one day! :wavey:

Vril3D
07-29-2003, 11:27 AM
Hi this is my first post here at CG talk.
I live in Sydney Australia so I'm hoping I will get my limited edition copy of the book this week.MMMMMM cant wait.

timshim
07-29-2003, 05:08 PM
It's looking great!

Kudos to Ballistic and all those involved in the making. At first, I didn't believe something so good would come cheap. But guess what, it's actually cheaper than I expected. Can't wait for my leather-bound copy!

:applause:

Signal2Noise
07-29-2003, 06:06 PM
My Limited Ed. arrived today!!

Oh, wait a minute. I just woke up...must've been a dream...:hmm: *sigh*

RockinAkin
07-30-2003, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by Signal to Noise
My Limited Ed. arrived today!!

Oh, wait a minute. I just woke up...must've been a dream...:hmm: *sigh*
damn you!, got me all worked up. :scream:

timshim
07-30-2003, 08:32 AM
damn you indeed ... :scream: .. :annoyed: .. :D

no9
07-30-2003, 11:11 AM
Good news about the ‘Exposé’ books. The photos of the books in the making are great, especially now that they’re practically near to completion.

I’ll be awaiting my copy all the way down here in crummy England.

Icarus
07-31-2003, 02:25 AM
Yarrr!!!.... Need My Expose`

TyR-

urgaffel
07-31-2003, 04:36 AM
Oh look, there's the confirmation email. Now I just have to wait for fedex...

Icarus
07-31-2003, 07:19 AM
Sorry, pressed wrong button, seemed to doube send my msg, soz all

phobos
07-31-2003, 09:16 AM
Urgaffel at least you got a confirmation email...

Ian Jones
07-31-2003, 01:53 PM
Yeah, I'm also starting to seriously wonder wtf is going on...

erilaz
07-31-2003, 01:54 PM
I got my email confirmation that it's been posted today. Yay! :D

SimonReeves
07-31-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Ian Jones
Yeah, I'm also starting to seriously wonder wtf is going on...

patience....:shame:

phobos
07-31-2003, 06:39 PM
Now that I think about it I guess all the people who ordered the leather bound edition including me (I'm in the book !!!! YEAAH) will probably get the book by the end of august!!!!!
Hand binding is a time consuming thing. By my experience I give them 2-4 weeks to prepare them. The more reasonable is 3 to 4 weeks.... It all depends on how many people will be in the binding process. This will shorten the amount of time required. But it will also mean a lot of variety in the quality. Anyway
All you guys who got the other versions can laugh on our faces....

erilaz
07-31-2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by phobos
Now that I think about it I guess all the people who ordered the leather bound edition including me (I'm in the book !!!! YEAAH) will probably get the book by the end of august!!!!!
Hand binding is a time consuming thing. By my experience I give them 2-4 weeks to prepare them. The more reasonable is 3 to 4 weeks.... It all depends on how many people will be in the binding process. This will shorten the amount of time required. But it will also mean a lot of variety in the quality. Anyway
All you guys who got the other versions can laugh on our faces....

I take it you haven't been reading what has been said. The binding was done last week. Australians will most likely get the book first, as the shipping is coming out of Adelaide (I am receiving my limited edition today by express post).

erilaz
08-01-2003, 12:57 AM
I HAVE IT!!!!!!

It was propped up against my door at 8:00am this morning.

And let me tell you, it is absolutely amazing.:eek:

SimonReeves
08-01-2003, 12:58 AM
boooooooo

Nimue
08-01-2003, 01:23 AM
:cry:Wasn't i supposed to get a email by now?:cry:

Icarus
08-01-2003, 02:05 AM
hmmm..Gotta Check my email now,letssee :) Nope Nothing,Im in the same state as u erilaz,gimme ur book!!

TyR-

erilaz
08-01-2003, 02:45 AM
Well, I guess it may be because I ordered on day one...

It's odd though. Although when I ordered (and it indicated on the envelope) that I was receiving Limited Edition Number 7, my book is number 42. No big problem, I just thought it was a bit odd.

awedin
08-01-2003, 02:54 AM
Someone please let us know when they receive a copy (limited edition or otherwise) in the US. My confirmation e-mail said that I am Limited Edition order #103. I can't wait!!

Alan Wedin

Mibus
08-01-2003, 03:59 AM
erilaz - I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that people were never told what limited edition number they were getting. People were told the _order number_ stored in the database. (If I am wrong, Leonard will correct me soon :))

(A number of the lower [eg. 1-10] numbered limited editions are being kept for now, you wouldn't have gotten #7 in any case :))

erilaz
08-01-2003, 04:08 AM
True, that would make sense. :D

I guess it just seemed to be implied that way in the order. As I said, there's no problem with that. A book's a book, and I'm damn proud to own it!:thumbsup:

Palombasso
08-01-2003, 04:53 AM
Got my email with the tracking sedex number...
my limited edition is expected to arrive in August 6 , wich is pretty good considering it´s being shipped from the other side of the globe.. I live in Brasil..eheh

About the limited edition numbers, my order is number 11, but i recall reading somewhere that this had nothing to do with the actual book number.... I guess that would be an unnecessary complication....

anyway, can´t wait for my book to arrive, just hope I don´t have to pay any taxes...heeh

Palombasso
08-01-2003, 04:53 AM
Got my email with the tracking sedex number...
my limited edition is expected to arrive in August 6 , wich is pretty good considering it´s being shipped from the other side of the globe.. I live in Brasil..eheh

About the limited edition numbers, my order is number 11, but i recall reading somewhere that this had nothing to do with the actual book number.... I guess that would be an unnecessary complication....

anyway, can´t wait for my book to arrive, just hope I don´t have to pay any taxes...heeh

Vril3D
08-01-2003, 06:06 AM
I have a question for Ballistic Publishing regarding - EXPOSÉ 1limited edition version.
My order number was "Order Number limited_1053"
The book is in a run of "Only 999 of these books will be available, while stocks last."
Please don't get me wrong im not concerned with what number book I get or how many you print to be honest I would have bought the limited edition version if it had a run of 10.000copies.
Just wondering what the deal is with the order number I have being higher than 999.
No doubt there is some sort of ordering system related answer to this that is totally innocent or you printed an extra 100 copies or so for the artists , friends and giveaways.
Looks like im waiting till next week for my copy.

:drool:

acidboy
08-01-2003, 06:09 AM
Yahooooooooooo!

I got my limited edition copy :applause:

Totally amazing quality :thumbsup:
it's worth the wait guys.

Mibus
08-01-2003, 06:15 AM
The order numbers given out have nothing to do with what book number you get. A lot of effort was put into making sure only the right number of limited edition books were sold.

Even now there are copies left, so you should be fine :-)

Vril3D
08-01-2003, 06:27 AM
Thanks for the quick reply mate.
:beer:

SpooX
08-01-2003, 09:38 AM
About the limited edition...everybody 's got an ordernumber, it might be logical to send the books by order number (or country I don't know) but if they're being send by order number could you keep everyone up to date which is the order number being send?

I'm eager to get my book and a confirmation email...:love:

C077335
08-01-2003, 09:44 AM
My Lim Ed copy just arrived in the mail! Looks really kewl from what I have seen, and can't wait to get in and read it properly :love:

http://shadowcasters.dyndns.org/expose.jpg

My cat Sputnik, or Spud for short, checking out what I just got.

Equinoxx
08-01-2003, 09:59 AM
still no email confirming the sent status while others allready have it :cry:

hehe.

oh well, guess it'll be there when i'm back from Isla Margarita .. . I hope. I do live in the netherlands which is like a eenie weenie tiny country compared to others, so i might as well be way on the end of the send order.

Nikodemus
08-01-2003, 11:20 AM
anyword on the soft cover mailing status, do we get an email too? cause thats the one i ordered.. no word as of yet

just curious cause i had off to school again in 2 weeks... kinda hoping it comes before then :)

Icarus
08-01-2003, 12:10 PM
Arar!H...Im Going Nuts!, People All Around Australia Recieving their Copy's And im not!

Z(*&@(*&!!! ARAH!...

*sits and waits*

TyR-

Vandal
08-01-2003, 03:25 PM
I don't think anyone in North America has their confirmation email yet. I'm in Ontario, Canada and I will post as soon as I get my email.

phobos
08-01-2003, 04:02 PM
Post by erilazI take it you haven't been reading what has been said. The binding was done last week. Australians will most likely get the book first, as the shipping is coming out of Adelaide (I am receiving my limited edition today by express post).

Are you sure that every book of the 999 books are ready?????
I don't think so. I bet that they made a first batch of books say 100-150 and they will make the others as they go. Let's say that the company that binds the books has a staff of 10 persons (a pretty optimistic guess...) and they make 3 books a day each (again a pretty optimistic guess). They will have 30 covers a day. That means 180 books a week. That makes 720 books a month. The binding process couldn't start much earlier so I guess that 3 weeks before the book binding process has started. That leaves one more week to complete 720 books. Add to that the waiting period for the glue to dry (1 1/2 days minimum for each book) the actual binding of the pages with the cover etc and you get pretty much mid august. And all these numbers are pretty optimistic. (And with only 720 books.) So I guess that for everybody to get their hands to the special edition will be the end of the august.

Jake McD
08-01-2003, 04:57 PM
I got my confirmation e-mail and it is due to arrive on the 6th! Hurrray!!

mikey11
08-01-2003, 07:29 PM
is anybody actually reading this thread???what a waste of time...hard to believe everyone is taking hte time to post "I can't wait to get my copy!"!!

:-)

Signal2Noise
08-01-2003, 08:13 PM
(Mikey, go back to eating your cereal.:hmm:)

I haven't received any delivery confirmation email yet either.:shrug:

Solishu
08-01-2003, 10:16 PM
My credit card has been charged for the book (at least I think that's what this charge is for. It's kind of cryptic but it's the right price) but I haven't gotten a shipping confirmation e-mail yet.

This doesn't bother me too much, I don't doubt that I'll get the book, but that it makes me wonder if this cryptic charge is actually for my Expose purchase, or not.... Can someone confirm that it shows up as "CG CHARACTER MYLOR" on their credit card statement?

RockinAkin
08-02-2003, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by Solishu
Can someone confirm that it shows up as "CG CHARACTER MYLOR" on their credit card statement?
Thats whats on my statement too, so dont worry. :D

I ordered a Softcover on the first day they were up for order, and I haven't gotten you confirmation email yet either. :(

I'm in the US, btw.
Just hope it comes before I move back into the dorms. :hmm:

Mibus
08-02-2003, 04:39 AM
Phobos: 10,000 books were printed at the same time. (The contents are the same for the three editions, so that's the combined amount).

I'm not sure what the timeline is binding-wise though. About 30 were done early so they were ready to show off during SIGGRAPH. That's about all I know :-)

Solishu: While I can't say for sure (I'm not involved in the book production) what the credit card is supposed to report, that sounds right. Mark runs CG Character in the same office as Ballistic Publishing (which is a Mark & Leonard venture :)). That office is in Mylor. So I wouldn't be terribly surprised if the credit card stuff was done in the name of CG Character for some reason.

I thumbed through someone else's copy of the book, ooooh! :-D

phobos
08-02-2003, 11:16 AM
Mibus I know that all books have been printed at the same time. I'm talking about the binding process that won't be prepared at the same time.
Besides the actual creation of the hard cover there's a process to glue or sew (it depends from who is doing the binding process. Sewing has a better quality and lasts in time) the pages together and then glue the cover to the sewed or glued pages. The sewing process can take from 10-40 minutes depending on the machines they have. Even if we take the least time to do this process (the 10 min) and multiply it with 720 (I'm guessing that they haven't reached the 999 special edition books ) then we are talking about 5 days! Add to that all the stuff that I talked about in my previous post like the actual creation of the cover the engraving of the letters that takes also very much time and the actual posting of the books. I insist that it will be near the end of august till everybody get their special edition books.
I'm a graphic designer so I know these procedures for certain.

Seven
08-02-2003, 12:21 PM
How long will it be until (roughly of course) people in England and Europe get there confirmation emails and arrival dates ?

Any ideas guys.

Sev

Leonard
08-02-2003, 10:28 PM
Hi everyone,

I just got back to Australia yesterday and was updated on the full shipping situation. The shipping is happening as fast as the fulfilments department can handle, and FedEx is working with us on the international shipments to US and Europe. Right now, it's just a struggle getting through all the pre-orders as the number of orders come through has been overwhelmingly good. I'm back in, so I'll be doing all I can to speed up the process and hope to have the pre-orders fulfilled these coming two weeks.

We're doing everything we can here to make sure you guys don't have to wait much longer. Thanks for all the support guys, it's a fantastic effort and you're all part of this.

Leo

Icarus
08-03-2003, 04:09 AM
Question Leonard,

For people inside australia, Which company (if one, Maybe Aus Post) Is taking care of the Couring, Fedex?....

Im only curious :)

TyR-

TheGreenGiant
08-03-2003, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by Tyrinid
Question Leonard,

For people inside australia, Which company (if one, Maybe Aus Post) Is taking care of the Couring, Fedex?....

TyR-

if you search through the posts, you'll see that one of the chaps got his Expose in an express post bag. Its aus post. I hate them by the way. :thumbsdow

TheGreenGiant
08-03-2003, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by Tyrinid
Question Leonard,

TyR-

if you search through the posts, you'll see that one of the chaps got his Expose in an express post bag. Its aus post. I hate them by the way. :thumbsdow

MarkSnoswell
08-03-2003, 05:58 AM
Hi... Im still here in th US sorting out shipping details. Here a bunch of updated on the shipping / binding / etc...

FedEx don't do Australian domestic so all Australian shipments go out by Express Post which is proving to be extreemly good and reliable.

The rest of the world shipments have been going out as of last week.

US and EU shipments will start this comming week -- it's taken longer than planned for FedEx to get their bulk shipping processes (for US and EU) in place and for us to get the packaging right ( yes wealso looked at UPS also and are looking at container shipping -- world wide distribution is a major undertaking that is an ongoing task to improve and get better rates on).

Binding of the hard covers and Limited edditions is going a bit slower than we would like -- it's going to take about 6 weeks to clear all current orders at the current rate.. well will update you next week as soon as we get better estimates.

It also turns out that shipping is quite a bit more expensive (due in large part to the books and packaging working out to being quite a bit heavier then inital tests indicated)... everyone who has their orders in is getting a real bargain as the prices will all be going up shortly -- you have had to wait a bit, but you have got never to be repeated prices also.

I know you all want your books now! ... thanks for hanging in there with us as we get the shipping ramped up. The wait will be worth it! ... we were very popular everywhere we went at SIGGRAPH -- we had 30 books rush bound to take with us.

We are also starting to establish book resellers around the world -- but dont think the books will be any cheaper from book stores because the shipping cost in included in the book store price... there is just no way to get around the shipping cost -- and vefore anyone suggests it, we are looking at printing future edditions in the US and EU -- but that really doesn't mean things would be cany heaper as it's more expensive to print smaller qualtities and the US ans EU currencies also make it much more expensive to print there also... ahhh ... much tearing out of hair ... wer'e getting there.

bentllama
08-03-2003, 07:56 AM
thanks again for the great efforts put forth by both Mark and Leo.:beer:

Nikodemus
08-03-2003, 08:44 AM
yeah thanks for the updates and info :) keep up the good work !! cause i cant wait to get my book and *future* editions :thumbsup:

MarkSnoswell
08-03-2003, 06:44 PM
I just want to say thanke very much for the ancouraging words -- both on line and from everyone at SIGGRAPH. It's *really* apreciated!

We have been *very* impressed with the whole community here -- with over 1400 inital entries there were really only two people who gave a little bit of greif about the selection process...
We now have over 2,000 orders for the book to send out and no one has screamed at us for the delays yet -- although we are getting a growing stream of polite enquiries from epole ancious to get their books -- especially now that some people have got theirs!

so all in all thanks very much to everyone -- tiy are all fantastic :)

now -- I have to get back to the daunting task of getting the globall shipping happening as fast as we can -- if anyone knows of with experience of importing into EU please let us know as Europe is turning out to be a real hedache and we would really like to get some alternatives to our current arangments.

catch you all around :)

MarkSnoswell
08-03-2003, 06:46 PM
bugger -- my typing is bad on this borrowed notebook...

Kooba
08-04-2003, 03:22 AM
I was just wondering has everyone in Australia recieved their confirmation e-mails yet? its monday morning 930 in Perth and still no e-mail :shrug: just wondering, keep up the good work peeps.

Howzat
08-04-2003, 04:27 AM
I haven't got mine yet either Kooba, don't worry I'm sure it won't be too much longer.

Well done to Mark and Leo and all the great artists, as well as everyone else who is involved, in getting this book off the ground. :buttrock:

Kooba
08-04-2003, 05:55 AM
thanx Howzat at least i know im not alone :) . Ok im gonna just wait patiently and keep checking my e-mail every 10 mins. I just hope my copy wont get damaged in the stormy perth weather :P Keep up the good work.

MaDSheeP
08-04-2003, 07:33 AM
anyone seen Ace Ventura?

i'm going to sit in the mailbox waiting for them to drop them in

Sorry ahead of time for whos ever I get!

that or i could just wait for them to deliver my limited edition copy...

More
08-04-2003, 08:25 AM
Hi, im in Canberra, Australia and as of yet have not recieved my order or any emails saying it was shipped. Should all Australians supposed to have received their copy by now? Thanks.

Leonard
08-04-2003, 08:29 AM
Hi all,

Just to give you an update, we are going through the pre-orders as fast as we possibly can, but it will take a few more weeks before all the pre-orders can be serviced simply due to the huge numbers.

At every step of the way, this book has pushed the limits in timeframe - from concept to print to delivery, it barely took 4 months. In the printing world, an undertaking of this scale, given the timeframe, is ludicrous!

So it's all happening, just hang in there and it'll all settle down in a few weeks.

Thanks,

Leonard

MaDSheeP
08-05-2003, 12:55 AM
:thumbsup:

Thanks Leo!

i was never serious, i can't wait, but i understand everything you are doing for us...

Thank you! :)

awedin
08-05-2003, 05:40 AM
Thanks all for keeping us up to date. If it takes a few more weeks, then so be it. I'd rather wait and receive a quality product than to get a rushed product.

Cheers.

compelman
08-05-2003, 11:48 AM
Wooo Hooo.........

My soft cover version arrived this morning via FedEx

Damn, this really is a beautiful book.

A big well done to everyone involved in producing this. It really does put everything else out there to shame.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Wigwam
08-05-2003, 11:52 AM
FedEx gave me mine this morning.

It's a book to be savoured.

:eek: :drool: :thumbsup:

ShiroEd
08-05-2003, 03:02 PM
ARGG!!!

Just got mine this morning! Soft back edition. Very excited!

...but... I'm sorry to say that the front and back cover has peeled away from the glue holding it to the spine of the volume.

Has anybody else had this problem?

:hmm:

Jake McD
08-05-2003, 06:16 PM
i just got my limited edition leather hardback expose and it looks great, good job guys.

proton
08-05-2003, 06:23 PM
I'm still waiting for my leatherbound copies but the Book is amazing and I think they did an amazing job on it!

Enayla
08-05-2003, 06:28 PM
Yay and double yay :D

ceql
08-05-2003, 06:38 PM
hmm I only just managed to organise a method of payment and finally make an order last week, so it's probably going to be ages until I get mine, doh!! It'll definetely be worth the wait anywyaz! :applause:

alben
08-05-2003, 09:32 PM
I got the same problem too. I just got my Soft Cover Book today (and it was awesome) but after looking through it once i notice the cover is peeling off.

Palombasso
08-05-2003, 09:48 PM
My Limited edition will arrive tomorrow, but I´d like to post a warning, nothing to do with the actual book.

I live in Brasil and here imported books are free from taxes, but they must be declared as "books" or as such. As my Exposé came declared as "LIMITED EDITION EXPOSE 1" they had no way of knowing it was a book, and I was charged the full taxes.
Probably this is the same on others countries, so it would be nice that the people responsible would take a look into it, so that it would not happen again.

But even if I had to pay more, I still believe the book will be worth it.

[]´s
Palombasso

DJB343
08-05-2003, 10:42 PM
I HAVE MY EXPOSE 1 SOFT COVER !!!!!

YES EXPOSE 1 HAS LANDED, ON MY DOORSTEP LOL, Came this morning .... i liv in the UK ...... so all other peeps from UK shud hav had it or it is coming real soon (i guess 2morrow) ......... and all of you tht are still waiting, i can tell you 1 thing, IT IS DEFFINETLY WORTH THE WAIT

BoydLake
08-05-2003, 11:08 PM
So uh......when do you plan to start it all again for Expose II? Is this an annual venture? Just curious. Congrats on the response!

Icarus
08-06-2003, 12:47 AM
LOL expose II, Order it now, and get it early :P

heh, But its worth the wait, :)

TyR-

Staticspector
08-06-2003, 06:49 AM
I have a question i'm kind anew to the expose thing , i ordered my LE expose and am wondering how the artists were selected

Where there guidelines in selecting which pieces go into the book and if there were could you please list them, because im a student and would like to know how my projects measure up

thanx all

Dj Petro
08-06-2003, 07:45 AM
I pre-ordered my soft cover book and I am hoping that I get an email or a book in the mail soon. I figured I would have heard something by now since others that ordered the book the same time I did are getting theirs. Hopefully I will hear something soon. I am so excited.

_

:buttrock:

mikrowave
08-06-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by ShiroEd
ARGG!!!

Just got mine this morning! Soft back edition. Very excited!

...but... I'm sorry to say that the front and back cover has peeled away from the glue holding it to the spine of the volume.

Has anybody else had this problem?

:hmm:

Yeah mine arrived this morning & I have had the same problem too :(

DJB343
08-06-2003, 06:24 PM
Yeh i hav the same problem with the Front and Back peeling off :(

Signal2Noise
08-06-2003, 08:14 PM
:surprised Uh-oh! Wonder what Ballistic's return policy is...

ShiroEd
08-06-2003, 08:15 PM
So much for space-age printing technology...!!!

Vandal
08-06-2003, 09:13 PM
Has anyone else in Canada got their copy? -other than Jake McD
I havn't even gotten a confirmation yet.

I'm also concerned about taxes and duties. Anyone in Canada get hit with them?

Leonard
08-07-2003, 01:02 AM
To everyone who has issues with book binding, can you please email Ballistic Publishing at info@ballisticpublishing.com?

Please note that Ballistic Publishing and CGNetworks are two separate divisions and you need to go through the proper support channels with your feedback so that Ballistic can improve the shipping process, add extra padding on books, etc.

CGTalk is not a support forum for EXPOSE' books, and although everyone at Ballistic reads these forums, we do need your feedback so that we can improve and address certain issues.

With regards to the covers peeling off, from what we gather, this only affects a few of the books - possibly the glue was uneven and this caused the cover to. We are addressing the issue right now and will have an update shortly.

Best,

Leonard

baby
08-07-2003, 01:20 AM
this morning :beer:

(in France)

Hollis J Wood
08-07-2003, 01:47 AM
Hay I am in Victoria B.C. just got my copy this morning, and apart from the binnding comming apart everything is fantastic, I did not pay any duty. my hat is off to all thoes that contributed and I hope that if there is another one published next year or so that I may be good enough to put something in it.

MarkSnoswell
08-07-2003, 02:20 AM
OK to further clarify processes for getting information and reporting problems:

*** All general enquiries should go to...
info@ballisticPublishing.com

No NOT send details of specific problems with orders to this email address.

*** If you experience any shipping, payment or other problems with your orders email details of your order and the problem to...
sales@ballisticPublishing.com

Do NOT post details on cgTalk forums as not all the growing number of support and shipping staff read the forums.

*** All books shipped have the correct customs codes for a Book -- we have now also changed the description to clearly state "Book" as not all customs agents engage their brains and read their own import codes which has led to a few problems in the past.

*** All shipments are fully insured. If there is a serious problem that is clearly shipping related give us all the details (sales@ballisticPublishing.com) and you will be sent a replacment book.

*** We are continuing to improve and refine the packaging. Reported problems are a very low percentage (~1%). however we are continuing to expore ways to do even better.

Feanoro
08-07-2003, 02:31 AM
Hey all,

Im just wondering why people in France have got thiers, but im in Sydney and i dont?

MarkSnoswell
08-07-2003, 02:38 AM
Soft Cover spine glue problem.

Could those people who have seen a problem (I think there is just 3 people) with the soft cover coming away from the spine please send concise descriptions (and preferably a picture) to sales@ballisticPublishing.com.

I have been speaking with the printers and this should not have happened at all -- and the printer is very anxious to get more details.

We have already changed the gluing of the spine by leaving a strip free of black ink on the outter pages where they contact the spine... it seems that the heavy black ink on everything has caused a few minor problems that were not anticipated -- but it looks fantastic and we are getting everything working well now.

Kooba
08-07-2003, 06:23 AM
Yay i got my book today!!!! :scream:
it is VERY good. Well done to everyone who is a part of it i am very impressed with it. Oh yer i did get the spine glue problem with my soft copy and have sent my e-mail as requested Mark. One more thing, i think i may be the first to spot this but there is a spelling error on the back page " Yeah - Boss" by Vadim Pietrzynski is spelt "Yea - Boss" by Vadim Pietrzynski . Just thought i'd let you know :thumbsup: .

Thank you so much for making this, it is the best book i have ever owned!!!!!

Hollis J Wood
08-07-2003, 02:39 PM
Mark.Snoswell: I sent 3 email to the sales@ballisticPublishing.com address and they were all returned so I sent them off to the info@ballisticPublishing.com along with a couple of images of the problem which is also on the front binding as well.

Leonard
08-07-2003, 02:45 PM
Hey, I got the emails and have redirected them. Sorry about the confusion, as the sales@ballistic account wasn't activated this morning.

Again, please direct all support requests to Ballistic Publishing - refrain from posting them on CGTalk as we may miss it.

Best,

Leonard

Hollis J Wood
08-07-2003, 03:13 PM
thanks Leonard I appreciate it.

Jimzip
08-07-2003, 03:51 PM
I don't care how long it takes.. I'm willing to wait, I knew it was going to be something special when entries were being called.
Now I know it is!

(P.S, for others in Aus, I don't have an e-mail yet either. Don't sweat it or complain, Expose shall come.)

Jimzip :D

vitor
08-07-2003, 05:11 PM
I'm waiting for my limited edition! :)

Onno
08-07-2003, 05:19 PM
Yeah me too.

How come people with soft covers already have their books, whilsts I have paid + ordered a special leather editon and havne't heard, nor received anything: no e-mails, no books. I thought those were going out first.

:shrug:

Signal2Noise
08-07-2003, 05:36 PM
Mad Cow Disease is slowing down the shipment/exportation of leather bound editions. Just a hunch:shrug:

;)

"Patience, Grasshopper. Good things come to those who wait."

Joviex
08-07-2003, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Onno
Yeah me too.

How come people with soft covers already have their books, whilsts I have paid + ordered a special leather editon and havne't heard, nor received anything: no e-mails, no books. I thought those were going out first.

Samething I have been wondering. I went through the leap of faith to get Expose running on day 1 by ordering a leather bound, and at the very least I would have expected a shipping note. That is considering people who didn't opt for the limited edition have already received copies.

Not bitching, but my level of fustration is rising. Although it is a book, I keep reminding myself. Though the principle under which the book was ordered is nagging me.

Nullzero
08-07-2003, 09:14 PM
I also ordered the HAND BOUND limited edition and haven't recieved an email but I'm not worried about it. People that didnt get their limitied edition are getting machine bound books not hand bound hardcovers. Its going to take some time to get all of those done. so give it some time, they already said that they were having some problems getting books sent into europe and needed to get some details worked out b4 they shipped to the US. Hopefully the shipping problems are worked out now and they'll be able to ship as the books are completed.

MarkSnoswell
08-07-2003, 11:17 PM
order of shipping:

We are shipping books as we can and as we get them. Soft covers are the first of the binding line. After that we get some hard covers (a few hundred to start and 600 more by next Tuesday) and then some limited editions, then the remainder of the soft covers (4,000+) then the limited edditions start flowing again and then the remainder (3,000+) of the hard covers in two weeks. Finally the limited editions will flow out as they are bound over the next three weeks or so. ... arggg. All 10,000 copies have been printed -- but then there is folding, binding, packing shipping...

If that all sounds complicated it's because it is! ... if you really want it complicated then I could start going through all the issues for shipping to 50 countries world wide -- which includes things like no FedEx for Australia and no automated label generation for Australian addresses -- which resulted in 5 hours of hand labeling earlier this week. We were meant to have IPD consignment shipping to US and EU up and running several weeks ago -- but now that won't happen for another 8 weeks or so and looks much more expensive than was first indicated -- soooo, we are racing to get alternative shipping procedures happening. For the past two days we were held up by packaging and labels running out (not our fault as we planned well in advance) ...

The net result is that we are getting books out, but not in the order you might expect -- or that we can predict just now. Limited edditions will start flowing again next Thursday and keep going for about three weeks to fill all orders. Further hard cover orders should go out starting mid next week. Soft covers should also go out in bulk everywhere next week also. When everything is going smoothly we will be able to email people with new orders with an estimate of shipping date when they order -- if everything goes to plan things will be predictable by the end of next week and we may have cleared the bulk of the soft and hard cover orders with limited edditions flowing out as we get them from the binder.

Book shop sales are also starting to ramp up -- but's another story.

Signal2Noise
08-07-2003, 11:28 PM
Mark,

Once you've gone through all the logistics (& headaches) of completing the eagerly anticipated Expose 1 orders when is Expose 2 due out?:drool:

Oh, by all means take a day or two off before getting on the sequel.;)

Feanoro
08-08-2003, 12:51 AM
Heh, yeah take a week :D

I had originally thought that all the printing and binding etc was finished. But i see its a very complicated affair.

Anyway, all you guys are doing an excellent job and i cant wait to see my book in the mail.

Cheers

phobos
08-08-2003, 04:57 PM
I'm trying to avoid telling it but I can't....

I TOLD YOU SO!!

I'm not complaining but when I posted about the possible delays due to the long list of things that had to be done some people accused me of not reading the previous posts.

Now on another subject:
I WANT MY EXPOSE!!!!!

Signal2Noise
08-08-2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Feanoro
Hey all,

Im just wondering why people in France have got thiers, but im in Sydney and i dont?

Uh, because the French are whiners? And Australia want to make sure their diplomatic ties with France remain intact?:shrug:

J/K of course. No offence to the French folk.
"Vive le roi! Vive la revolucion!;)

MarkSnoswell
08-08-2003, 10:52 PM
Sfot cover Glue in hinge area.

We have identified the problem. The glue is pressure activated and there was a problem with the pressure on the roller on the front hinge being a bit light -- this was only a problem on the first 300 soft cover books. All you have to do is apply pressure by hand along the hinge region (that small 8 mm strip front and back on the spine side) and it will adhere fine. It is also recommended practice (by the professional book binders I have spoken with) to fold the hinge back and press it down as soon as you get books bound like ours -- in fact there are some new binding machines that do this automatically.

no0ne
08-08-2003, 11:59 PM
:applause: thx alot for this fantastic book

there is nothing comparable out there

where can i pre-order expose2? :beer:

everyone who saw it lying around here freaked out :eek:

the limited edition rocks :buttrock:

MarkSnoswell
08-09-2003, 12:22 AM
Future stuff:

EXPOSE 2, EXPOSE special titles, Master Class books, other books, posters, calendars, DVD's (EXPOSE in Motion?) and other stuff will all start happening ASAP -- that's after we get the globall shipping all smooth in the next few weeks.

As the new titles and projects start up we will also be continuing to build the distribution side of the business -- that's getting products into indpendant book stores, small book chains and resellers first and then large distribution chains (Barnes and Noble, Borders, Dymocs, WH Smith etc...) last of all.

EXPOSE 1 went remarkably smoothls -- but we have lots of ideas for improving in every area and in particular in helping everyone in the community to improve their work (and job prospects) going forward. This has already started with things like the Focused Critiques forum.

At every step along the way we will be letting everyone know whats happening and looking for ways for people to participate and offer suggestions. If you want to start getting material ready right now we strongly suggest that you get into the Focused Critiques forum http://www.cgtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=102 -- both posting your own work and spending time giving thoughtfull fedback to others.

It would also be fantastic to see more people teaming up to pool skills (concept art / texture / modelling / matt painting / animation ...) -- this could lead to some great opportunities for everyone involved ;)

stay cool, have fun and amaze us :)

Icarus
08-09-2003, 04:16 AM
Some Good Ideas There Mark,

Thanx for the constant updates on the subject :)

TyR-

Brainbug
08-09-2003, 10:46 AM
I haven't receive my Artist Exposé Edition :(... I wish to receive it soon..

Seven
08-09-2003, 11:05 AM
I still havent recieved my confirmation email yet :( I live in the UK btw.

Sevv

Signal2Noise
08-10-2003, 10:54 PM
Okay, I got back home this weekend and was hoping for either A) A confirmation e-mail of my Limited Ed. book being shipped or, B) My Limited Ed. book waiting for me in my mail box.

Did I find either of my options to be true? Nope. Nada.

Anyone in Canada have any luck yet?:shrug:

I just want my book!:cry:

Hollis J Wood
08-10-2003, 11:02 PM
as I posted befor I am in Victoria and received mine last Tuesday the 5th

phobos
08-11-2003, 12:05 AM
no confirmation email here also. let's hope that this week most of us will get the damn email. but I highly doubt it...

MarkSnoswell
08-11-2003, 12:40 AM
Please listen while I explain again:

Limited Edditions will *start* to be sent out later this week *when* we get them from the binders. It will then take 4 (four) weeks to clear the back orders -- this is limited by the speed the binders bind these. We wern't joking when we said the Limited Edditions are hand bound -- there is no automated production procedure for doing traditional padded leather binding... if we had cut corners and not done the padding then we could have had a lower quality mass produced product -- we opted for quality, but that takes time. Please be patient.

kdub
08-11-2003, 05:48 AM
I sit here...what is it 17 days after "expose 1 has landed!" I am honestly very, very, excited to recieve my artists edition. I suppose that means I'm in the book...Which means me along with several hundred other artist made this book possible...now I hate to sound bitter, but I find it odd that priority has not been given to these people. I see tons of messages of people recieving their coppies...and yet I have none. Maybe my book has been shipped, the e-mail I registered with died, but my book still isn't here. Granted, many of the books are ariving in countries other than the states...but I think the first X number of artists editions or books ordered by artists would be shipped first, no question, right? The artist edition was discounted down into the realm of probable cost - and thank you for this gesture - but I, as an artist, did expect priority, as a nice, well-bound book of fully glossy black pages would probably not sell well. I got a figure that 40 special editions are completed a day. I'd think that if the artists books were sent out first all the artists would have theirs now. If there were shipping troubles...I would think those would have been sorted out before the book was completed, or even went into print, or even up for sale as people getting what they buy tends to be an important part of consumerism. Wow, I must sound like an ass, but what I say shouldn't really have much of an effect. I mean 10,000+ orders times an average probably close to $70 USD a book thats $700,000. lets say yall turn a 30% profit for your investment...$210,000 and I still have to pay for the book my work is in...And it can't get here in what i think is a reasonable amount of time if priority had been given to artists. I hope that future ambitious ventures of what has been a company full of good ideas are not like this. I think yall should consider giving expose 1 artists expose 2 for free. Just a thought. as you have the money to do it. Also for my pseudo numbers on that. Lets say there are 400(generous #) pictures in expose. With my very guestimated figure, that comes to about $525 a pic...Thats enough for a few books :thumbsup:

Leonard
08-11-2003, 06:26 AM
KDub,

I respect what you're saying here, however I need to correct you on several points before this gets out of hand.

When we posted that EXPOSE' had landed, the sheets had come off the press and 40 copies were made for SIGGRAPH. The rest of the remainder of the sheets went into binding production, which is a time consuming excercise. The reason why the shipping is taking so long is because:

1. Some editions are physically not ready yet (see below)
2. The administrative task of sending huge numbers of orders through FedEx is more time consuming than any of the parties involved had anticipated. Please see below for explanation.

EXPOSE STATUS - Monday 11 August 2003
=====================================
- Soft covers - in stock and shipping
- Hard covers - in binding process, will restart shipping next week
- Limited editions - being produced and shipped in numeric sequence

We had 300 soft and hard covers hand bound to meet early shipments -- this has allowed us to start some shipments last week.

Why are the Limited Editions taking so long?
The Limited Editions of EXPOSE 1 are high-end collectibles. The covers are produced the old fashioned way using real leather and gold leaf - these are NOT mass produced items. They are being made meticulously, and each one is unique in the way the leather and gold leaf is applied. If you ordered a Limited Edition, please understand that these need to be hand-made to order and depending on the timing of your order, may take longer than the mass-produced editions to ship. These are extremely valuable and unique collectibles and when you hold the product in your hands, you will be astounded by its quality.

Why are other people getting their orders quicker?
As you can see from the production status above, soft covers are being shipped quicker than the other editions as they are the first to come off the binding line. Hard covers need to be bound by a third party, and limited editions are hand made collectibles.

Royalties and payouts
Royalties on books are standard at about 10% of recommended retail price, as over 50% is eaten from distribution and reseller costs. So with 250 artists thats about 0.4% of RRP. On an average of A$50 / 50 we lose in destributiuon / resellers and the like for the bulk of the 10,000 -- so say be make A$20 per book ... that works out to about $50-$80 royalty.

In other words, if you work it out, each artist should get a royalty payout of AUD$50-$80 after one year. Either you wait one year for a cheque, or we give artists the opportunity to purchase the Leather bound edition at a heavily subsidized price of $55, saving $95 from the real cost of the Limited Edition.

Why is FedEx slower than anticipated?
The standard shipping rate for sending a 1.5KG item from Australia to Europe or the US in in excess of AU$50, more than the cost of a single soft cover book. In order to get the cost of freight down, FedEx has devised a consignment system where the books are sent in bulk to a point of contact in Europe and US, and then sent out from the local points. As it has turned out, administration for the European shipments are far more complex because of import and taxation laws. This is being resolved right now.

Cheers,

Leonard

MarkSnoswell
08-11-2003, 06:29 AM
KDub... Those figures are way off...

There are over 250 artists whose work contributed to EXPOSE. For a standard royalty of 10% thats a 0.4% share each. AFTER 10,000 books are sold at the average projected prices that works out to maybe a A$50 - $80 royalty. We ran these figures and had to face the decision of asking ourselves what we could do NOW rather then in a years time AFTER the books had sold. We decided to offer a A$100 artists discount below the standard Limited Edition price right now. We also did NOT charge an entry fee -- I know Spectrum charges US$20 per image entry up front.

We always said that the Leather Editions were going to hand bound and that it would take 4 weeks from start of shipping for them to go out. We got a handful of Leather editions rushed to take to SIGGRAPH and show people -- the bulk of them START coming of the binding line Wed or Thurs this week.

MarkSnoswell
08-11-2003, 06:36 AM
Royalties.
Just so you all know. There will be a standard royalty paid to authors of our "Master Class" (for want of a better title at this stage) books that we have planned with 4 authors presenting material on a theme.

EXPOSÉ series books are another matter altogether with their 250 + contributors. IF EXPOSÉ 1 is successful over the year then we certainly do want to send contributors a free book (sorry -- you will still probably have to pay shipping). However, that will all depend on the success of EXPOSÉ 1 over the next year.

Leonard
08-11-2003, 06:59 AM
I've posted an FAQ - please read it before making any further posts.

EXPOSE' Frequently Asked Questions (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=81055)

Most appreciated,

Leonard

kdub
08-11-2003, 08:17 AM
I appreciate the info. About my figures yes they were off, for I thought that you were only selling those 10,000 copies direct. The resseller bulk I was not aware of. In the end I really think you have made an excellent product which is why I want it so much. Sorry if I came accross as ungreatful I'm sorry i brought this up in a public manner, it was not of a professional nature.

-Kevin

Nikodemus
08-11-2003, 09:04 AM
i just thought i would add a comment or 2 :)

well first off i didnt order a limited edition leather handmade book (mostly because money issues and the fact that i didnt submit anything to it..but plan to next time)

secondly ... ladies and gents, i know how to make handmade books, with hard covers and all the details, and believe me, there is alot of work that goes into a book, i had to reread the order announcement when i ordered and really couldnt imagine that all these would be handmade.. cause the production amount is so high...
just getting the printed pages is not a book, theres the folding, the stitching holes per page, theres the thread, theres actual stitching the signatures, theres the after you get the signatures together chopping the edges so they are flush, theres the spine prep, theres the actual cover, theres the gold leaf that was just mentioned a few replies above this, the leather wrapping..
eesh... all i can say is that, if you ordered a limited edition just remember they arent just making "your" book, they are making everyones :love: im glad a friend is getting the handmade edition so i can see one atleast.

well i actually have to go finish making about a 160 page journal for a friend birthday... on with the sewing ! :D

oh yeah.... mail me my softcover wouldya !! im back off to school in 5 days. ;) hehe,,, take your time, take your time

Peter Reynolds
08-11-2003, 01:34 PM
The biggest problem I can see is that Mark & Ballistic Publishing have been honest, open and upfront about the whole production line and it has back fired in their faces.

If it were any other publisher, you'd probably get told an 'expected publication date' and that's it. And if it was delayed, either you wouldn't hear about it or you'd be told "it's late, now piss off!"

So before anyone else jumps up and down crying "where's my book? where's my book?" perhaps you could try exercising the same level of patience that's required to do outstanding and professional 3D and digital artwork.

Seven
08-11-2003, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the info guys, cant wait till I get my copy. Im in no rush to recieve it because I know it will be quality.

headengine
08-11-2003, 04:16 PM
Kudos to all at Ballistic for keeping us so well informed at every stage: yes, its a pain in the arse to have paid for something months in advance of getting it, but I am certain the Ltd.Ed. book will be amazing and I'll happily wait until they are ready to rock, fully hand finished...

This is a major undertaking for a new and (for now ;) fledgling publisher. I can't wait to get my book and even though I had hoped to get it this month, I'll sit tight.

We got a cracking discount on them anyway and the shipping from the other side of the globe has to be a bargain... I don't think anyone will be retiring at Ballistic on any profits on Expose 1!

:)

Cheers

Meshosh
08-11-2003, 04:45 PM
well, although this book is taking far more time than I expected when I ordered it, I am still very happy with you guys. :)
As I could see from the pictures, Exposé looks awesome, realy better than any other CG book I´ve ever seen before, and that alone is worth the time I´ll have to wait. But what really makes me feel confortable is that I can see that you are also concerned about these delays, doing everything you can to deliver the books as fast as possible, and that you are also telling us what is going on. I´have never seen any other publisher doing this.

Ok.... that´s it... just keep up the good work and let me know when you decide to make an Exposé 2. :)

stallion151
08-12-2003, 09:59 AM
WHOOHOOO!!!
Just got the book!, luv it. Everything i expected

Great job guys.

colkai
08-12-2003, 02:00 PM
I got an e-mail the other day saying my special edition would be considerably later than expected.
My reaction to this is - okey dokey! ;)

I just can't wait to pick up a book that has been hand-crafted, I'm torn between reading it and just staring at it fondly on the shelf <grin>

I love things that are hand-made, (my guitars are too), somehow you feel a link there.

I can't wait, but am prepared to be as patient as it takes - hows that for a contradiction! :p

shadow
08-12-2003, 03:10 PM
As long as its here on my birthdayparty (last weekend of September), the delay is OK with me. :)
(My parents ordered the limited edition for my birthday)

MarkSnoswell
08-13-2003, 12:48 AM
shadow ... email sales@ballisticPublishing.com with the order number and just say -- expedite shipping for birthday, just to make sure.

Feanoro
08-13-2003, 12:58 AM
:applause: :applause:

Yay!! Got my book yesterday!!

Great work guys, its absolutely awsome :thumbsup:

SimonReeves
08-13-2003, 01:07 AM
errr yeah....its my um birthday too....

;)

MarkSnoswell
08-13-2003, 01:32 AM
if anyone has a *real* *need* for and expidited shippping then just email sales@ballisticPublishing.com with your order number and a concice reason and date for expidited shipping. We will do everything we can to ensure we look ofter you

-- please consider that there are 2000 or so back orders and we are working hard to look after everyone.

proton
08-13-2003, 01:33 AM
I'm in love with this book...well worth the wait!

SimonReeves
08-13-2003, 01:34 AM
oooo and I was so close ;)

hmmm I will be at uni in 6 weeks tho

/me goes off to think

Nikodemus
08-13-2003, 06:06 AM
hehe... guess it would be alittle late to email and say im leaving for school in 3 days...can you get it too me by then

hahaha that would be a super rush delivery. :wip: oh well.. guess i will have to wiat till it comes on its own and then get it shipped to my school from home

will be a happy day once it does come though :)

whitehorse
08-18-2003, 05:46 AM
Hey just wondering if there is any more of an update on the limited edition books, i got the email that you sent about a week and a half ago and just wondering if there is anymore news on them.

cheers

MarkSnoswell
08-18-2003, 06:00 AM
update going out today ... basically everything is going smoothly now... details will be in emailer.

Icarus
08-18-2003, 07:32 AM
cheers mark,

TyR-

Pinky_Powers
08-19-2003, 07:55 AM
Yeah, I just ordered my copy Saturday, now I am glad that I went for the Hard Cover and not for the Leather. But still, with all these complications, I am worried I will never see me copy. lol. But I have faith in you guys. I think ;)

Feanoro
08-20-2003, 01:14 AM
Ah, have faith. I was like that too, then i got mine and the world is now a happier place :D

They've done some great work.

Joviex
08-20-2003, 03:06 AM
update going out today ... basically everything is going smoothly now... details will be in emailer.

Did these get sent? I never received one.... just curious.

Icarus
08-20-2003, 03:41 AM
yeah, still waiting... maybe mines been posted?..

But... Heh.. lets hope for the best...

TyR-

MarkSnoswell
08-20-2003, 03:42 AM
going out now ... her's a copy:

After much effort both FedEx for domestic US and Australia Post bulk Airmail division have finally got everything worked out and we now have the following shipping arrangements in place:

Everyone will be sent an email advising them of their book being shipped within one day of shipping their books.

Shipping status:
We have shipped all soft cover and hard cover orders for "the rest of the world" -- excluding the USA. (for orders received before 16th August, and not being combined with a limited edition)

USA shipments of soft and hard covers will go out over the next three working days.

Limited Edition books will go out again starting on Monday and it will take three weeks to clear all the current orders.

USA (excluding Hawaii) 1- 4 books:
You will receive books via FedEx domestic road service.
We do all packaging and labelling here in Australia for US domestic FedEx delivery. We then bulk pack those individual shipments and send it FedEx air express to our distribution office in Phoenix Arizona. From the time the books leave us they will take 3 - 8 days to get to you.

Rest of the world (excluding Australia) 1- 4 books:
You will receive your books by Australia Post Air Mail delivery. From the time the books leave us they will take 7 - 9 days to get to you on average -- some countries can take longer. You can go to this web site and put in your country to get an estimate of how long the delivery will take www1.auspost.com.au/international .

Australia. 1-100+ books:
You will receive your books by Australia Post Express Post delivery. From the time the books leave us they will take 1 day to get to you, as long as you are in the Express Post area.

All the world (excluding Australia) bulk shipments of 5+ books: You will receive books via FedEx delivery. From the time the books leave us they will take 3 - 7 days to get to you. *Bulk shipments of books will often get noticed by your local customs and duties people and there may be local duties (such as VAT) you will have to pay. It is your responsibility to pay any such duties and taxes. It is impossible for us to pay these fees as they are levied on the buyer in the country of purchase.

Local Taxes:
*In most cases individual book shipments either don't get noticed or they fall below a threshold and you wont have to pay local customs and duties like VAT. However bulk shipments of books will often get noticed by your local customs and duties people and there may be local duties (such as VAT) you will have to pay. In all cases it is your responsibility to pay any such duties and taxes. It is impossible for us to pay these fees as they are levied on the buyer in the country of purchase.

The saga of international shipping so far:
We did a number of shipments around the world with FedEx Express. Not only was this very expensive for us there were some cases where local authorities tried to charge end users excessive fees -- just because the books were sent by FedEx express. In one case we had three different reasons for the fees given -- none of which matched with that countries published taxes and duties (it looked like a bribe the local authorities wanted). We should avoid these sorts of problems by using Australia Post Air Mail. The problem was that Air Mail can be really expensive also -- fortunately Australia Post came to the rescue and was able to offer us the same rates we could get with FedEx on large shipments (like to the USA) -- but the Australia Post Air Mail rates were good for *all* of the world. Australia Post also simplified the customs clearance and labelling for us.

Packaging:
We have had a very low rate of books damaged in transit. In some cases no amount of packing (even a crate) would have helped. In every case the people with damaged books have sent us pictures of the damage and we are/will be sending replacement books. For now we have improved the packaging -- but best of all -- we are having special book mailer boxes made up. These will go into use when we get them in a few weeks time.

urgaffel
08-20-2003, 03:56 AM
With the risk of sounding like a n idiot, I'd just like to thank you all at Ballistic for this book. The limited edition is wonderfull, and I received it earlier than most it seems. Great work. Not only is it a book jampacked with great art and images, it is also something I can use as a benchmark :)

Thanks, girls and guys at Ballistic!

Mark, you and Leo are definitely worty a ride on the red incredibly spinning thing at the Tivoli in Copenhagen for this! :)

Jenner
08-20-2003, 08:13 PM
:beer: Yay! I just got my mail, and on the page it says it will take 5-6 working days for it to get here in Denmark :drool: . It was shipped yesterday, so Im counting on its arrival in 5 days or so.. :surprised Cant wait!!!

markbones
08-20-2003, 08:37 PM
Here in Toronto a bunch of us bulk ordered the hardcover - they arrived last week, and I just got my copy from my friend today.

I am very impressed: it is a very high quality publication, and all the artwork is fantastic (seems like that didn't really need to be said, but I can't resist) I cannot begin to imagine how many hours I am going to spend looking at each and every picture.

Kudos to everyone involved - I could not be happier.

Nikodemus
08-21-2003, 05:17 PM
i got my notification email ! i got my notification email ! WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE :scream:

sorry im just really excited about this :applause:

Valkyrien
08-22-2003, 07:27 PM
Just got my e-mail! So glad it'll get here before I go back to school!:)

Jenner
08-23-2003, 11:57 PM
I GOT MY EXPOSE!!

its soooo good, just got my hard cover version yesterday. I love to look at all those pictures before i go to sleep, its such a nice collectíon of great cg images.

Cheers:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Valkyrien
08-28-2003, 08:15 PM
it's here it's here it's here it's here!!!

"Homer, did you wear a tie to impress the book?"

"do you think it noticed?"

heh

seriously though, this is the greatest book ever, second maybe to LOTR. Thanks for putting so much effort into making it perfect. The book arrived so wrapped in bubble wrap and cellophane I had to crack out my old case cutter from my days in the grocery department, lol! Cheers!:)

hypercube
08-28-2003, 09:12 PM
Got mine a couple days ago..just thought I'd add to the kudos..the print quality really is all they said it would be, it's outstanding. Everything truly leaps off the page at you, and is painfully sharp.

Look forward to many more in the series, and hopefully having time to try and make an entry for the next one :D

Valkyrien
08-28-2003, 11:17 PM
/me gets high off the fumes from the book

PixelThis
08-29-2003, 02:19 AM
It Arrived!!

OMG, two days from email to arrival in my mail box. Does Australian air mail utilize teleportation? It usually takes two days for me to get mail from Los Angeles.

And it's everything that was promised. Gorgeous leather cover outside, jawdropping artwork inside, and it even smells great :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks to all those involved for going to the huge effort of producing a book that is a piece of artwork in itself.

TiGER
08-29-2003, 03:33 AM
i got mine today! YaY!

job well done!

Nikodemus
08-29-2003, 04:29 AM
sigh... im stillllll waiting. :hmm: ive been back at school now for 2 weeks.. and it still hasnt reached my home so that it can be mailed to me... i hope i get it before i turn 90 years old and graduate ;)

Pate
08-29-2003, 05:58 AM
Everyone will be sent an email advising them of their book being shipped within one day of shipping their books.

Shipping status:
We have shipped all soft cover and hard cover orders for "the rest of the world" -- excluding the USA.

That was over a week ago.. I still haven't even received the email, and I ordered the soft cover edition in June and live in "the rest of the world".

Should I still keep on waiting? I sent an email to Ballistic Publishing a week ago, and got a reply saying "expect an email real soon now"...

Just wondering..

Pate

Icarus
08-29-2003, 08:22 AM
Chill, Ive got a limited edition, and a mates got a softcover, were both in victoria (nxt state over from south au), and we havent recieved ours, be patient, another friend of mine recieved his shortly..

From what ive seen, it truly is an amazing book, its well worth the wait,

I ordered back in july when it was available, so its been a while, but ITS WORTH THE GOD DAMM WAIT!

:) trust me :)

TyR-

Pate
08-29-2003, 09:13 AM
Oh, sorry, I didn't mean to sound angry or impatient.. Glad to hear I'm not the only one still waiting! :)

I was just wondering if I should check with Ballistic Publishing themselves again, but I guess I'll just wait at least another week or so before getting impatient again. :blush:

Pate

colkai
08-29-2003, 10:15 AM
I got a confirmation E-Mail, my book is on it's way (Limited Edition)
- According to the Autralia Post site - should be here in 5 workin days - DAMN!! - I'm on holiday - still good neigbours so I have something to REALLY look forward to on my arrival home.

I am so looking forward to being depressed by the level of talent in the book :p

Hoo boyy.....

MarkSnoswell
08-29-2003, 11:26 AM
If anyone has a soft cover or hard cover that was ordered more than two weeks ago and they have not recieved email notificantion that their book is shipping they sould email sales@ballisticPublishing.com with their order number.

We have been suprised how many people changed their email accounts without telling us -- which makes it rather difucult to email them about what is happening.

Pate
08-29-2003, 12:37 PM
Okay, thanks for the info Mark, I just sent the email query.

Pate

Seven
08-29-2003, 01:01 PM
I just recieved my limited edition copy this morning (I live in the UK) and it is very very impressive stuff. It just reeks of quality and professional craftsmanship.

First time I opened it you could smell the new leather :)

Fantastic job Mark, Leonard and everyone who made Expose.

Excellent, I cant wait for Expose 2

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

colkai
08-29-2003, 05:13 PM
When did you get you confirm e-mail??
Might give me an idea as to when my book may turn up (meaning - I'm hoping I won't have to wait 5 days :p)

Pate
08-29-2003, 07:18 PM
Got my EXPOSÉ! :D

I feel I have to let you know what had happened to my book..

My soft cover edition was sent on August 1st (that's right, almost a month ago) via FedEx. However, I did not get an email (I checked all my email folders, including spam and deleted items, but no sign of an email around that date) so I was not aware it had been shipped that early.

I got a quick reply to my query today from Ballistic Publishing with the FedEx tracking number, and it turned out that the book was in Finland on the 5th and FedEx had tried to deliver it to me on the 6th and again on the 18th, but since I was at work and had given my home phone number when ordering, they could not contact me.

Today after I got the tracking number I called them and they delivered it to me a few hours later.

Turns out I should not have waited so patiently this long!

Pate

Jackmars
08-30-2003, 01:19 AM
Sorry a bit off topic but when can we expect to hear the new deadline for enrties for Expose 2.:beer:

boxcrash
08-30-2003, 02:17 AM
Well I got mine, great book looks really nice. One thing that bothers me about it is it is damaged.

Just some creases in the cover and the upper left hand corner was smashed in......ah well what can I expect coming all the way overseas in a folder and buying a Soft cover(I hate being poor. :( )

Still love the quality and whatnot, great job.

Leonard
08-30-2003, 02:23 AM
Damaged copies please take a digital photo and send to info@ballisticpublishing.com with you order_id and address.

There are cases where no amount of padding or packaging or even a kevlar box will protect the book - we've seen shockers where the entire book is almost destroyed and there is no comprehendable way that could have happened unless a truck ran over it.

Note: Please do NOT use CGTalk as a support forum and please do NOT send Leonard or Lildragon PM's about EXPOSE' as we are not the support channels for Ballistic Publishing, which is an entirely separate division from CGNetworks. We even operate in totally different office locations. Please go to the Ballistic Publishing website at www.ballisticpublishing.com and go through the proper channels to service your request!

Leo

Originally posted by boxcrash
Well I got mine, great book looks really nice. One thing that bothers me about it is it is damaged.

Just some creases in the cover and the upper left hand corner was smashed in......ah well what can I expect coming all the way overseas in a folder and buying a Soft cover(I hate being poor. :( )

Still love the quality and whatnot, great job.

boxcrash
08-30-2003, 02:49 AM
sorry, I was not trying to beat up on you guys, or start something, you did a great job.

you can delete that post if you want.

RockinAkin
08-30-2003, 04:10 AM
I just got my copy (east usa) and its awesome!
Cant wait to have my work featured in this one day! :thumbsup:

Kudos to all of the artists and the team that brought this book together. :applause:

Valkyrien
08-30-2003, 09:57 AM
can't...stop...leafing...through....Expose...

affecting...work...can't...stop....thinking...about...it...

:applause: :applause: :applause:

*pulls self together*

ok, better get back to work on my entry for expose 25;)

Odrakir
08-30-2003, 11:54 AM
Got my copy this week.

It's great, here you have a buyer for Exposé 2 for sure.

Hope to be there someday.

Odrakir.

Colin de bink
08-30-2003, 01:40 PM
I got my Exposé yesterday
and I think it is really beautiful

moovieboy
08-31-2003, 08:43 AM
Finally! I got mine today! :D

Mmmmmm, the smell of the leather, the quality of the art...

This is truly, truly an incredible achievement and is such a testament to how much Leonard, Mark and Tito (and many others) freely give to this community and vice versa.

That, and being able to (since Siggraph) say "I've met this person and that person!" or "I remember when this art piece was just a WIP thread..."

Damn, it just makes me so happy!:applause:

With 50,000 of us now... just HOW many submissions are you guys going to get buried with in Expose 2?!?!?

-Tom

Nikodemus
08-31-2003, 07:07 PM
...still waiting for my copy.. cough... gasp.. wheez... have to hold on:rolleyes:

:p

phobos
08-31-2003, 10:09 PM
Hope I'll get mine before I move to UK.
Crossing my fingers

DrAdamDinosaur
09-01-2003, 03:32 AM
I have to say a really, really big thank you to Leo and Dr Mark 'cos I won my copy of this book at the Adelaide DLF meeting(1st given):D . This book is totally awesome, everyone who's seen my copy now wants one of their own. Thanks again guys.

Adam

SpooX
09-02-2003, 02:26 PM
Wow smells great, just got mine at work, so no work is done by me anymore today....

One little suggestion for the next episode...
Could you make it more waterproof, because mine is becomming a bit soacked due to uncontrolled :drool: :drool:

A big thanx to everyone involved in this project.

proton
09-02-2003, 03:19 PM
I just got my 2 Leather Bound Expose1 this morning and they look great! Awesome work guys.:beer:

NUKE-CG
09-03-2003, 11:05 AM
:p
I ordered it a while ago, and it only has a short trip to NZ, and I'm still waiting, american priority :shame: .. I hope not. Hehehe

Nikodemus
09-04-2003, 12:37 AM
wheeeee i got mine today :D

squintik
09-06-2003, 12:28 PM
Wouhou ! Just got my limited edition :applause:
Amazing work !! :drool:

Odrakir
09-06-2003, 02:12 PM
Hey! I've just found out that the images on pages 20 and 36 of Juan Jose Gonzalez Diaz are renders of actual buildings being made in my own city (Oviedo, Spain).

That means I'll get to see them when they are done.

And it is made in Lightwave!... I've got to congratulate this guy.

Odrakir.

headengine
09-06-2003, 10:10 PM
Limited Edition came today!!!!

First thoughts: smells good, feels good, paper isn't as heavy as I thought it would be (kinda lightweight)... lucky my postman isn't a psycho cos it came packed in the flimsiest wrapping too - but there ain't a mark on it - phew!

I'm looking forward to reading this baby - even on a quick flick through its amazing to see so many fellow 'CGTalkers' work in print and not just onscreen...! So much talent packed into the one place.

Big props to all at CGTalk/Networks/Ballistic on the birth of baby number 1!! ;)

Leonard
09-07-2003, 01:17 AM
Hey.

The paper is quite a thick stock. The reason it feels thin is because of the high gloss varnish - it's slippery. It is a thick stock.

Leo

Leonard
09-07-2003, 02:43 AM
Guys,

Here's some sensible tips:

1. Keep your books stored in a dry place -- on a book shelf is a good idea. Keep the bookshelf away from windows where condensation happens. Make sure that the room temperature is consistent and is not affected by huge shifts of temperature, pressure or humidity changes.

Reason: Book pages can get wet and they end up becoming wavy and crinkled. This is not due to the printing or the paper -- it's due to the humidity levels and the moisture in the pages.

2. For soft cover books, don't crank them open all the way unless you want the spine to break (intentionally). If you want an art book to open all the way, get a hard cover edition of the book as it allows you to do this.

This doesn't just apply to EXPOSE', but ALL books.

Cheers!

Leo

headengine
09-07-2003, 09:40 PM
Hey Leo, be cool! :) I have done a lot of graphic design and printbuying in my time and IMHO I guess I thought it would be a heavier stock than it is... I guess I'm just used to all those weighty Hyperion Disney tomes etc - I just don't want to rip the damn thing, it still kicks ass! ;)

MarkSnoswell
09-08-2003, 08:30 AM
Q: Why we dont accept AMEX?

A: It's the bank that wont accept AMEX. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about that. It's easiest is you can just find someone with VISA card to do the payment and reimburse them.

Q: Why we dont accept cheques?

A: Foreign cheques are the worst because of fees and it takes a *minimum* of 30 days to clear even after it arrives and we bank it!

Q: Why we do all transactions in Australian $ ?

A: Because thats all the bank will do.

Our ability to accept AMEX and deal in forein currencies may change in the future -- as the banks offer these services for on-line transactions. Yes, there are some banks and services that offer these right now -- but at an unacceptable price!