View Full Version : mecha girl

thehive
06-23-2009, 04:05 PM
heres a small wip hopen to finish this week an add particles an lighting to it

http://exurostudios.com/eric/3d/mech_A.mov

John Keates
06-26-2009, 10:03 AM
At the moment there isn't much feeling of weight:

When she lands she suddenly looses momentum. She should probably have a fair bit of angle when she lands then rotate to gradually come to a hault.

When she goes back, she is getting momentum from nowhere. She should keep her Left foot on the ground for longer as that is the foot that would help her push back.

KielFiggins
06-26-2009, 04:06 PM
The animation doesn't feel like you've acted it out and video reffed the clip. For example, the step back into the squating pose. Get out of your chair and Kneel on one knee-ish similiar to the pose you've set. Now try to swing that front leg all the way back while squatting.

Also the arms and back don't show the weight of such a heavy upper body. When I worked on the mecha girl for my school clip some years back, I took 3 backbacks, tossed one on my back loaded with books, and strapped the other two to each of my forearms (only lightly loaded). You'll literally feel how they drag behind and how you need to lead with your hips to build up momentuem.

Hope this helps.

mistasam02
06-26-2009, 06:20 PM
That's great advice ^ Acting it out with weight attached to you is huge. You'll also notice a lot of stuff you wouldn't have without referece, like subtle hip movements, etc etc. I think her entrance is a little weird right now. Timing aside, she comes in facing the camera like she's being chased, but stops very abruptly, and looks the other way.. then looks back to see something attacking her that she should have seen already. I'd say if you're going to have her go to shoot something, it should be coming from screen left, where she isn't looking at first. And yea, definitely more drag pulling up the guns to shoot. Good luck bro!

thehive
07-01-2009, 05:09 PM
thanks guys , heres an update

ill work on acting it out more tell so many peeps to act it as well maybe if i listen to my own advice lol oh well

http://exurostudios.com/eric/3d/mechFC.mov

anthonymcgrath
07-14-2009, 11:56 AM
I'd say the whole thing still feels very fast. The planting of the foot into the duck around frm15-20 is a little fast maybe cos her hip is on the way down at the same time her foot touches down. Try it yourself you may find you end up collapsing quite hard. Also try giving a bit more thought to the arms in that moment - at present they just drop to her sides. Try adding a bit more lag to them.

the step back is better than the first version altho her weight doesn't appear to balance on her right leg as she goes back. Maybe try adding that in. Also get the left foot/toe back then drop the knee to the floor as her body weight comes down. Bear in mind also she has some heavy firearms on her arms.

Go and fasten some weight to your arms and try lifting your arms in the way she does - see what it feels like and how much more your body is employed to lift it.

Finally - the silouhette of the main poses is a little weak - switch to lighted mode but with selected lights (assuming your in maya... looks like it) but dont select any light - the char should display completely black - then you can see whether your characters poses work?

just some thoughts hope they help mate - keep goin. Its a nice model and rig and you can have some solid fun with this!

CGTalk Moderation
07-14-2009, 11:56 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.