PDA

View Full Version : painting in ps

cerreto
05-10-2002, 03:35 PM
First off im trying to learn to paint in ps so i started rouging out colors that i wanted as you can see this is about an hour into it and its really rough but id apreciate any helps hints tips on hobw to use brushes lighting etc smoothing out the pic any ifo on anything basicly would be great http://cerreto.cgcommunity.com/wip/p2.jpg

marioucci
05-10-2002, 03:52 PM
awesome work.
the quick painting style is very well done.
please, start posting more of ur 2d art man!!!
ok. forget the please and sart posting ur 2d art!!!! period!!!!
(or the sicilian mob will get you down):airguitar

Cgkoko
05-10-2002, 08:30 PM
:love: Love watching your progress....:applause: Give us more...this great!:bounce:

cerreto
05-10-2002, 10:01 PM
http://www.liquidwerx.com/tut.htm

this guy put up these pics for me very cool of himto help me out so im doing a portrait of my wife with it think its ok so far the eyes are giving me some trouble but layers are my new best friend http://cerreto.cgcommunity.com/wip/j5%20copy.jpg

hawkprey
05-11-2002, 04:34 AM
Cerrato

you are a brave man. I struggle more with girls than any other subject matter. Especially the faces. Keep plugging away man. You are getting tons better with each post.

nice stuff

jeroentje
05-11-2002, 05:52 AM
Oh you're good!

Some tip:
be carefull with the layers, too many is only confusing.
This is what I usually do:

7 highlights
2 line art
4 hair
6 details (white/color o.t. eyes, lips, nipples etc.)
5 adjustmentlayer to get a good skincolor. This way I don't have to concentrate on the colors of the skin while putting in the shades. I merge this one with layer 3 with 8&1 turned off
3 bodycolor
8 background
1 rough sketch

You don't need more.

Hope this will help you.
jeroentje :wavey:

cerreto
05-11-2002, 12:03 PM
Thanks guys

Ok still working on the skin etc its very blury having a hard tim defining edges sharply to like the nose cheek etc any tips on blending helps also http://cerreto.cgcommunity.com/wip/jb.jpg

jeroentje
05-11-2002, 01:47 PM
Think it's going fine.
I hardly use the blending tool. Just spray on shadows with the airbrushtool (do you use a Wacom or just the mouse?). If it gets too dark, well just spray some light paint over it. All very basic really.

You might want to try this: put the erasertool on about 20% and softly erase the border of the hair. That way her hair will nicely blend into the background and her face will better come out. And what a lovely face it is :) (only meant in the best way).

Oh and don't use too small brushes. Start big, end with detailing.

These where just tips, no crittics. See for yourself what you do with it.

Keep updating, would love to see where this is going!
jeroentje

cerreto
05-11-2002, 02:04 PM
these tips are great i never realy get offeneded on anything if its bad its beeter to find out then pretend its good;) The hair has been buging me so ill try this tip as soon as i get to her

As for the brushes i think that was one of my biggest screw ups so far is that i started detail or try detail way to early
and man the eyes are hard had to redo thenm like 20 times to keep them form looking screwed up still not totaly happy

jeroentje
05-11-2002, 02:21 PM
The eyes look like good eyes to me... :shrug:

But he, I've never met her so probably the problem is more that they don't look like the eyes of your wife enough. It's probably only YOU who will notice that since you must have been staring in 'm for a long time ;)

Only thing I can think of in that department: the distance between the 2 highlights in her left eye (right to the viewer) should be further apart than in the other. It's closer so it's bigger.

Ehm... something else about that: 2 highlights/eye also means 2 lightsources. You're making it very hard on yourself this way. Better turn of the least influing (=thatenglish?) lamp and start looking. Every shadow you see than is a logical result of the one light you use.

Thanks 4 the link in you earlier post.
Just checked it out. Amazing!!!

See you later.
Jeroentje

btw you might want to see my entry to the 2D challenge. :bounce:

Iain McFadzen
05-12-2002, 12:56 AM
Damn nice work so far, I am also just starting to learn a bit of digital painting (approximately 7 hours into it to be precise), so I am just in here leaching tips and tricks :) I started with Painter rather than PS on a mates advice, but I've found myself painting everything on a single layer with the airbrush anyway, so I don't suppose it's any different.

The pic of your missus is coming along nicely, that's some lovely soft shading you've got on her face. Maybe needs some crisper edges to bring it to life, but I can't suggest anything cos I haven't figured it out myself yet :)

I'll probably be ready to post my first bit of 2D wippage myself tomorrow night, so if you figure anything out by then make sure you post it here so I can read it :)

cerreto
05-12-2002, 03:08 AM
hey iain glad to hear im not the only newbie LOL ;) I also have painter and play with the brushes in it its a damn fine program but i just cant get over the horible interface (to me ) if only i could combine the strengths of both apps

I agree totaly on getsing some sharp lines in there i havent worked on her today but ill try tomorow looking forward to yours !

illustr8rX
05-14-2002, 02:13 PM
great work cerreto! I really like it.
I feel the same as you regarding Painter, I've gotten each version since 5 but never use it... i just can't take that interface, it makes my head hurt...;)
let's see more 2d man! thanks for sharing - don

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.