PDA

View Full Version : Lighting - Exclude/Include.

Shellfish
06-23-2009, 03:03 AM
Hi ! Can some one please explan how the Lighting Exclude/Include works? Its very confusing to use it. Example, I have one light exclude the shadow of one object and than add another light which include back the shadow of the same object. What I get is a brighten up scene. So I feel that the Exclude/Include of lighting in 3Dmax is confusing to use. Please correct me if I'm wrong and is there a better way in doing these type of lighting contral?

JonK723
06-23-2009, 08:27 PM
Basically, light inclusion or exclusion is just another way to say "I want this light to affect this object/s but not this object". It's good for things like adding highlights to a specific object without having the like contribute to the lighting of other objects in the scene. The problem you are experiencing is that both light are contributing to the diffuse illumination so you are basically adding light together to get a brighter image. Personally, I'm a maya user and it has a thing called "light linking" (essentially the same thing as in 3d Max). If you want a light to only cast a shadow then you can create a negative light (overlapping identical lights with one casting a shadow and the other not cast a shadow).

CGTalk Moderation
06-23-2009, 08:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.