PDA

View Full Version : creata 3d "doily" object from photo?

shokan
06-22-2009, 11:30 PM
Here's the lace doily. In 2003, someone posted a script at ZBrushCentral called cubicmesh that will create a 3d object exactly as I want, but I have no way of trying the script out to see if it works in v3.1. Does anybody know if 3.1 has a feasture built in that will create a two-sided object from this photo and also have displacement of the surface weave details ?

Thanks.

wwswimming
06-24-2009, 12:03 AM
http://mn-meetings.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/10/14/032607doily.jpg

i found this rather large replica of the same doily, just more high-res.

in ZBrush on a plane of 260K 'active points', using 'Drag Dot' and 'Alpha' tool settings on the left, it made like you would expect, a raised doily 'embossed' effect on a square background.

when i outputted it to *.obj, it was 44 MB. i was going to import it into 3D Max and delete all the spheres on the 'back', the poly's that represent the plane that the image of the doily was embossed upon.

it locked up the machine, and then i thought of one other way to capture the geometry, 'displace' in 3D max. even on a huge plane (333 x 333), it looked rough. i gave up on that.

i tried using the higher res doily image as a bump map, with an opacity map to hide the square plane. to create a doily-esque effect, i like that.
http://www.wwswimming.com/images/doily2.jpg

shokan
06-24-2009, 12:25 AM
So the result is a doily-shaped plane with the illusion of raised texture using a bump map?

wwswimming
06-24-2009, 02:11 PM
So the result is a doily-shaped plane with the illusion of raised texture using a bump map?

sort of.

it's a square plane with the non-doily parts hidden by an opacity map, and the doily texture created by a bump map.

nightwoodwolf
06-30-2009, 02:18 AM
couple of quick and easy ways.

1) you can bring that one as an alpha and then mask a plane by using that alpha, then you can use the extract function in the subtools and determine thickness.

2) you can use Make 3D in the Alpha pallet for that as well.

CGTalk Moderation
06-30-2009, 02:18 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.