PDA

View Full Version : SMC 11: Roller Coaster

Immortal765
06-22-2009, 09:06 PM
SMC 11: Roller Coaster

For this challenge, you have 120 minutes to model a Roller Coaster. The roller coaster created must follow these guidelines:

No water rides.
No launch roller coasters.
Must model the track supports.
Must have at least two hills and/or drops.
Must model a front cart for the roller coaster (seats at least 4 people).
Must model a station for the trains to depart from.
You do not need to model people to ride the coaster.
Focus mainly on modeling the track of the roller coaster. It is not necessary to model any terrain, unless it is a part of your roller coaster.

Do not confuse a thrill ride with a roller coaster. No towers, no carousels, no kiddie/carnival rides.

The type of roller coaster is up to you (wooden, steel, stand-up, suspended, etc.). You must pick a type of roller coaster to model from that exists or has existed (no futuristic roller coasters).

The length of the track and the height of the highest drop is up to you. Interesting designs and inclusion of special features (such as on-ride photo system, corkscrews, loops, etc.) are encouraged, but are not necessary.

Do as much as possible with the time allotted. If you are having trouble with a certain part, it is recommended to move on or to try something different. You can always feel free to ask for help. Any preparation (such as acquiring references) will not affect the time you have to model.

General Rules (by Digitool - because I can't say it better):
1.) 120 minute time-frame. Please do not go over the time-limit and say you did it in less. This is not for showing off, this is for practice, and seeking help on ways to streamline your modeling process.

2.) Post only 3 images, wireframe (or a wireframe on shaded), program default shader from perspective view (not a render, transparency adjustments allowed), and 1 beauty shot if you wish to do so.

3.) Please try to help others or seek help from others or both. This is to learn, so it won't help to just toss up a picture and not say anything else the rest of the challenge. Also, you can feel free to add a little background information to your post, obviously not taking up the 120 minutes as that is strictly for modeling.

Make the challenge interesting enough for you to have fun with it and challenging enough for you to learn from it.

paulcapon
06-23-2009, 01:11 AM
Cool. Looking forward to it. Lets see some more entries this week folks :).

-JohNny45

Digitool
06-23-2009, 05:54 AM
This one def. has a "cool" factor to it. Very good idea. I really really really really hope to be able to participate. It's been a very long time since I've had Maya up and running on my machine because of work and everything. I could use a break and a chance to participate. This sounds pretty cool. I like how gathering good reference and research is a pretty big must on this.

Can't wait.

OmarO
06-24-2009, 03:10 PM
wow, so many rules to follow :P

Immortal765
06-24-2009, 04:09 PM
I know, I know. I have my reasons, though :P

Immortal765
06-30-2009, 04:20 PM
Here's mine. 120 minutes. The track style is similar to suspended, but the carts are not suspended (I kinda screwed that one up).

I guess the track is somewhat similar to a steel coaster, which was my original idea. Then again, "steel coasters" don't have a specific "style." Inspirations: Millennium Force.

I'm thinking about putting up higher res and closer screen captures (especially of the cart) through photobucket. I don't have much room left on my attachments.

SKeller
07-06-2009, 01:55 PM
Nice track design, Immortal! You should upload a closer caputure of the cart, we cant see it.

We had just one entry in this challange. And we are late to start smc12. I think we should decide who will come up with this weeks challenge, maybe create the traditional 'preparing for smc12' thread.

Immortal765
07-06-2009, 05:49 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure what has happened to everyone. But, I hope the challenge wasn't too...challenging. It wasn't my intention to discourage anyone or to upset anyone.

In fact when I did my challenge, the most time consuming/tedious part was the supports. The actual roller coaster track took no more than 10 minutes to do with NURBS curve. Although, I was working with Maya. So, I'm not entirely sure how simple it is for other software packages.

We need to get a preparation thread for SMC 12 going.

Digitool
07-06-2009, 07:45 PM
I've been out of town much of the past week to week and a half and just had no time really at all.

I was kind of hoping to have come on and seen several entries... I don't know if it was discouraging or too difficult or all the different rules... but absolutely no one seemed to post :(... I don't think it was any of the above, just probably spanning over the 4th of july here in the states could have slowed some people down and taken their time? maybe?

CGTalk Moderation
07-06-2009, 07:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.