PDA

View Full Version : How to Symmetry Polygons

adam|zeliasz
06-22-2009, 07:07 PM
I'm new to Modo, coming from Softimage. Lets say Im modeling half a character split down the center. How do I create the other half?

It's easy in Softimage, Duplicate Symmetry. In modo I'm having a difficult time figuring it out even when I've gone through the manual. I tried the Boolean operation with the duplicated mesh, facing correctly on a background layer, but I keep getting an error saying that the mesh isnt closed.

Any thoughts?

And since Im posting; how do you create edges on a mesh between two points? Lets say I want to take a 4 sided polygon and manually split it by adding an edge between two points on each corner.

Thanks!

grimbtw
06-22-2009, 09:52 PM
1.duplicate tab > mirror tool.

2.mesh edit tab > edge slice (click on an edge to start then on another edge to join)

hope this helps!

adam|zeliasz
06-23-2009, 05:08 PM
Hmm... Well it works but it creates a new mesh. In Softimage you can create symmetry on an axis, and then have the verticies weld based on a distance. It's very easy to do. Anything similar to this in Modo?Thanks!

grimbtw
06-23-2009, 05:24 PM
turn on "merge vertices" checkbox in the mirror tool, you can specify a fixed distance in the box below.

ediris
07-04-2009, 05:43 PM
I'm new to Modo, coming from Softimage. Lets say Im modeling half a character split down the center. How do I create the other half?

It's easy in Softimage, Duplicate Symmetry. In modo I'm having a difficult time figuring it out even when I've gone through the manual. I tried the Boolean operation with the duplicated mesh, facing correctly on a background layer, but I keep getting an error saying that the mesh isnt closed.

Thanks!

I went through the same problem the other day , on vertex mode and with the layer of your model active select mirror , it will do it for sure. MODO is not similar to any other packages,but is powerful when you use it more.

Animasta
07-04-2009, 11:41 PM
I went through the same problem the other day , on vertex mode and with the layer of your model active select mirror , it will do it for sure. MODO is not similar to any other packages,but is powerful when you use it more.

Actually, Modo is very similar to Lightwave. Many of the tools are similar, and even some of the shortcut keys.

ediris
07-05-2009, 05:15 PM
Actually, Modo is very similar to Lightwave. Many of the tools are similar, and even some of the shortcut keys.
Is being long since i used Lightwave , i guess the las version was in 2001, i wish the material editor was as good as lightwave´s.

Ngon
07-08-2009, 03:52 AM
Me having the same problem. Isn't there a proper way like in 3Ds Max we have the symmetr modifier? any alternates in Modo. I am sure there is.

ediris
07-08-2009, 09:57 AM
Talking about the subject one thing i havent found is how to modify half side and the other updates at the same time,is hidden somewhere but i dont seem to find it.
Edgard

Ngon
07-09-2009, 03:36 AM
I am not sure if this is the right way. but if you:
Draw a box, add an edge loop in the center and then turn the symmetry to X (on the bar on the top) , now when you modify the box on one side it works on both. This is happening ing Modo 401.

ediris
07-09-2009, 07:21 AM
Thanks Ngon

CGTalk Moderation
07-09-2009, 07:21 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.