PDA

View Full Version : "Undo" preview

3djack
07-25-2003, 05:16 AM
http://www.learnlightwave.com/undo.mov

Psyhke
07-25-2003, 05:26 AM
That's pretty cool. Of course, happy to see that finally.

But I also just realized, isn't it kind of sad that we're watching sneak peaks of undos? Hah. :D

Eat your heart out Alias! Mmmm. Multiple undos. :drool: :drool: :drool:

Shade01
07-25-2003, 05:27 AM
Bout damn time:applause:

Joviex
07-25-2003, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by Psyhke
=

Eat your heart out Alias! Mmmm. Multiple undos. :drool: :drool: :drool:

That was a joke right? Multiple undos vs. a true history? Hope that was a joke.

Shade01
07-25-2003, 05:45 AM
What was so 'difficult' about this that they couldn't do this before? This is one of those 'shoulda been there' things that shouldn't even be listed as a feature. It's like saying 'come see our 2003 model car- now with seats!'

Psyhke
07-25-2003, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by amorano

Hehe. Yes. Just joking. That's why I said it seemed kind of sad that undos are the content of a sneak peak video.

Like Shade said, not really a "feature" to advertise too loudly. Lightwave users should discretely acknowledge the arrival of multiple undos by the exchange of subtle nods of the head amongst ourselves, then quietly sweep the whole thing under the rug never to be mentioned again. ;)

takkun
07-25-2003, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by Shade01
What was so 'difficult' about this that they couldn't do this before? This is one of those 'shoulda been there' things that shouldn't even be listed as a feature. It's like saying 'come see our 2003 model car- now with seats!' Maybe it's a good thing that the old developers left to go start Luxology.

If this is any indication, Lightwave's future DOES look bright! :)

Emmanuel
07-25-2003, 09:21 AM
As cool as it eventually is, the jokes will never end :)
I know a few Max/Maya guys who make Jokes of that on a regular basis.

Kvaalen
07-25-2003, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by amorano

If you notice the interfaces Duce posted had a drop down menu next to the undo. That makes me think there will probably be a history of some kind. But then whay didn't lee show that?

I don't know. :shrug:

BAROBA
07-25-2003, 10:19 AM
Did someone notice the new buttons on top?
Print?? What does it do or what is it for?
Did they move the camera settings (renderoutput)to its own tab?

Kvaalen
07-25-2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by BAROBA
Did someone notice the new buttons on top?
Print?? What does it do or what is it for?
Did they move the camera settings (renderoutput)to its own tab?

I think that is a personal set up. Lightwave 8 is supposed to have a Dynamics and Rigging tab which aren't there.

Gollum
07-25-2003, 01:54 PM
Well, LW is not the only professional program with an historical lack of multiple undos, Photoshop anyone? But even PS got a history years ago, which pretty much negates the use of a plain multiple undo feature. There's also still the question of what exactly we will be able to undo? Manual position changes, numerical inputs, changes to graphs or expressions? Only some or all things we do every day in layout?

In the end this is more of a "its about time" than a "whoah" feature, but I'll sure appreciate it once its there. Kudos to Newtek, LW8 is shaping up good right now IMO! :D

faulknermano
07-25-2003, 02:33 PM
the lack of undos in layout actually helped me bring myself back to reality once and a while. as you all know, there are no undos in the real world. :)

chikega
07-25-2003, 03:12 PM
<whisper on>
About *@$%&* time!!!
<whisper off>

Wasn't there a post or article many moons ago about the fact that LW had the ability to do undos/history through the ability of Lscripts to record each action in Layout? It seems the potential was always there.

I agree, it's probably a good thing that NT got some new blood - let's hope they don't get "complacent" over time as the original team did.

meatycheesyboy
07-25-2003, 05:59 PM
chikega,

yeah, it was a technique that I figured out a long time ago and posted a really crude (and rude) tutorial about. The tutorial has long since been gone though since it was rather rude and the technique itself was far from useful. It was very cumbersome and just a pain to pull off.

Just for nostalgia's sake, here's the thread on the old newtek forum where I unvieled my "tutorial", http://forums.newtek.com/discus/messages/2/7914.html? . Man, I like reading the thread, people actually call me a genius in it. Wow. Alright enough patting myself on the back for a really lame tutorial.

After the technique was there, a gentleman started an LScript that made multiple undos possible in Layout but I'm not sure whatever happened with it.

-Joshua

Nemoid
07-25-2003, 06:14 PM
What i know is that Layout was born with 1 possibility
to undo and that's not so easy to change such a thing
when its on the core structure of the program.

this is smth wich a friend of Guido Quaroni's said to me. in fact Solid thinking wich was a the app Quaroni engineered had the same "error" wich is very difficult to fix.

maybe Nt has utilized the idea of some plugin i saw in Flay time ago.

faulknermano
07-26-2003, 09:42 AM
just like it was said, there is tom winnicki's undo lscript that can do this kind of stuff. i think the question is whether or not this undo feature carries over to other actions like changes made in the surface editor, etc etc.

freerider
07-26-2003, 10:36 AM
i think the question is whether or not this undo feature carries over to other actions like changes made in the surface editor, etc etc.

I belive Lee Stranahan said over in the Newtek forums that the multiple undo is only for item actions at this time.

Facial Deluxe
07-26-2003, 11:04 AM
What if...
Multiple undo / redo in layout & Scene auto saving was the same thing ? :scream:

Bytehawk
07-26-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Facial Deluxe
What if...
Multiple undo / redo in layout & Scene auto saving was the same thing ? :scream:

imagine a heavy scene saving every time you move an object....

Facial Deluxe
07-27-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Bytehawk
imagine a heavy scene saving every time you move an object....
Hahahaha:applause:
Imagine it save it incrementaly : Scene.000000000.lws --- Scene.025654878.lws

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.