PDA

View Full Version : AE CS4: possibly discrepancie in ram installed + other issues?

nubian
06-22-2009, 01:29 AM
I'm new to cs4 and some of it's preferences.
I'm running into issues where it's showing incorrect system values.

This is what I run on:
MB: DFI UTX58 T3eH8
CPU: Intel Core i7 975 Exteme @ 3.33GHz - (Overclocked to at one point @ 4.00GHz) I know I could go more but not at this time.
RAM: OCZ 12GB DD3-1600
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 285 GTX 1GB

http://i39.tinypic.com/2a5akwm.jpg

The main problem is on the reason why in the "Memory & Multiprocessing" settings that:

installed CPU's = 4 (shouldn't it be 8...hyperthreading)?
installed ram = 8 (shouldn't it be 12)?

And how would you optimize these settings so that I'm getting most out of my rendering?

Mind you that the latest updates have been applied to CS4.

Thanks, your help will greatly be appreciated.

Mylenium
06-22-2009, 05:50 AM
Please be more specific before running off with your fingers. AE is still a 32bit app and there are limitations to how it can use system resources. Likewise, you may simply be using the wrong flavor of Win 7. Only Business, Enterprise and Ultimate can manage more than 2 CPUs as well as larger amounts of RAM.. So what system are you running exactly?

Mylenium

nubian
06-22-2009, 06:08 AM
i am using win 7 ultimate 64bit rc1.
i was unaware that there were other flavors of win 7.

ediris
06-22-2009, 08:33 AM
Possible: Check that the RAM has been installed properly. I had a Box with a few processors but for sure it was more than 4 processors. Still run slow. Rendering wise is pretty fast but for the previews still damm slow, specially when you want to preview Trapcode Form.
Edgard

nubian
06-22-2009, 03:32 PM
my ram is installed properly.
windows 7 recognizes 12 gigs
cpu-z recognizes 12 gigs along with few other apps.

Iaenic
06-25-2009, 06:52 PM
Unfortunately it seems that there is a bug with After Effects in that it doesn’t fully support core i7. Supposedly Adobe is working on a patch, but no idea when it will be out. :shrug:

Theres a bit of information here. (http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/957712)

I use a core i7 machine at home and it still renders faster than the machines I use at work. I wonder how much better it will be once it's fixed!

nubian
06-26-2009, 07:07 PM
Unfortunately it seems that there is a bug with After Effects in that it doesn’t fully support core i7. Supposedly Adobe is working on a patch, but no idea when it will be out. :shrug:

Theres a bit of information here. (http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/957712)

I use a core i7 machine at home and it still renders faster than the machines I use at work. I wonder how much better it will be once it's fixed!

awesome!!
thanks for that link.
so basically once they release this patch i should see a dramatic improvement in render speeds hopefully.

i'm also hoping that this patch will resolve the issue as to why i'm only seeing 8 gigs of ram and not the full 12.

thanks for your reply
wonder how soon they'll release this patch?

CGTalk Moderation
06-26-2009, 07:07 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.