PDA

View Full Version : Cloud effect Bluescreen Tracking help

Young3D
06-21-2009, 12:10 PM
Hey Guys!!!

Working out on a new film porject, I really need help about a point.
I'm talking here of an movie we are shoting in HD using the Sony PMW-EX1 Camera
Next week we are gonna shoot some studio scenes with a greenscreen behind.
The idea is to be over the sky and the two actors are seated on clouds, it's a dream scene of the movie, and the camera (steady or traveling) would move a bit around them.

My questions are about, first the tracking setup
Do we have to put dots in the backgroud?
Could the characters pass beyond these points or do we have to shoot the dots without anything passing by?
How would you handle the clouds and background? (CG? MATTE?,and how....?)
Is there a special lighting to setup in order to make it more realistic?

I know its kind of a messy bundle of question but we are a low budget production and i'am handeling all of the Special Effects

(Sorry for My bad English)

Thanks you very much

Bye

Y3d

Young3D
06-21-2009, 12:11 PM
oups and by the way I'm using an MAC PRO G5 intel Based (overboosted but mac)

thanks again

Khalor
06-23-2009, 11:43 PM
I'll try break this down into the various points you have raised...

Do we have to put dots in the backgroud?
With a moving camera? As a rule, yes - although I've seen people get away with hand-matched plates before. The point of the dots is that you can feed your live-action footage into a motion tracking program (I use boujou, but there are many options out there - SynthEyes, Icarus, Voodoo...) and then feature track to construct a CG camera that moves the same as your real one (which you can then place in a 3D or 2.5D environment to create a background that moves realistically). You can also use them to do a simple 2D track to attach a background that moves in sync for simple close-up shots. Most motion tracking programs come with documentation on how to do all this - if you don't have access to one and you're on a budget, I suggest Icarus - a free program that was 'retired' a while back, but is still available on certain corners of the internet.

Could the characters pass beyond these points or do we have to shoot the dots without anything passing by?
I'm guessing you mean pass over? Like, actors moving in front of the dots? Yeah, in fact a lot of the time it's inevitable that an actor or prop will obscure some of your markers at some point. This, unfortunately, means hand-painting them out as your actors pass over them - you'll need to do paint-outs anyway, as keying them out with the greenscreen won't work (they need to be a contrasting colour) - but passing through hair etc. can be a fiddly process. If you can still place an array of dots on the background and not directly behind the actors where they might get crossed over, so much the better.

How would you handle the clouds and background? (CG? MATTE?,and how....?)
The best effects are a mixture of all of these. Stock footage of clouds is pretty common (although not much is free), and many many of the CG programs out there have some form of particle or volumetric simulation for doing clouds. Vue is program of choice, but seperating cloud elements from the rest of the scene can be difficult. Start off by sketching out what the finished shot should look like, then back it down into elements - CG for your hi-res 'hero' cloud that must customisable and controllable, stock and matte painted elements for your background.

Is there a special lighting to setup in order to make it more realistic?
The closer you can light it to how the characters should look in the finished shot, whilst still maintaining seperation for the key, the better. Things to think about - where would your light source be if you shot this scene for real (i.e. on a cloud). Although being a dream sequence, you may want it somewhat stylized - I'd be thinking about lots of soft and bounced light, which will help with both selling the look and pulling a better key (soft light helps smooth out a greenscreen). For a similar shot on a no-budget project, I ditched the greenscreen althogether and shot on white, opting for a more 'realistic' lighting solution but having to roto a bit to seperate the character out.

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/7025/dreamspacescene10bykhal.th.jpg (http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/7025/dreamspacescene10bykhal.jpg)

I hope that helps somewhat - could probably be of more use if we had a better idea of the shots you are trying to acheive.

Young3D
06-29-2009, 12:00 PM
Thank you very much for your both answers, we were on plate so I wasn't able to answer

anyway i'll be able tonight to show you the rushes so that you can help us

thanks again

CGTalk Moderation
06-29-2009, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.