PDA

View Full Version : New Modo user!!?

DB3D
06-21-2009, 04:04 AM
I am really new to modo (3ds max user) and while doing a tutorial I somehow shut off the sub D mode when you press tab??? I press and there is not smoothing, but it does say the poly count has gone up? did i accidentally press a shortcut that does something in the viewport to not display working in sub D? did i accidentally convert the model to something? thanks for any replies!

jrsunshine
06-21-2009, 04:20 AM
Make sure you select either the whole mesh or a portion of the mesh before hitting the 'TAB' key.

-Jr

Burritoh
06-21-2009, 05:21 AM
Yes, the Tab key SubD's your selection. So if you have a face selected somewhere on the other side of the model, that's what's going on. Just make sure that's not the case.

I suppose you could also have a duplicate piece of geometry in there that isn't getting subdivided. You might check for that too. The overlapping faces would hide the SubDs.

....or did you remap your Tab key?

DB3D
06-21-2009, 06:10 AM
To trouble shoot i made another cube in the scene, it subdivided just fine? I am very new to the program, maybe i did somehow duplicte the model over another one? Just barely getting used to the interface, is there something i clicked in the layers? Ive tried selecting the full mesh by clicking on the polygon area in the layers, then pressing tab, but still not work.

really lovin the program, im just in this weird state of getting the flow of it after using max for ohhhhh...about 8 years.

DB3D
06-21-2009, 06:10 AM
could i have clicked an option of turning off sub d for this particular piece of geometry.

Burritoh
06-21-2009, 06:37 AM
Not sure what you mean by "the polygon area in the layers."

In modo, when no polygons are selected, it's like everything in that mesh layer is selected. Also, double-clicking on a polygon will select all polygons connected to it (an Island mode, if you will). So if you split off a part of your model and double-click it, only the part you just split off will be selected.

To deselect, just click in an empty part of the viewport.

This lets you have part of a mesh layer be SubD and part of it regular polys.

Again, I'm not sure what you meant ealier, but if you need more help, don't hesitate to ask!

DB3D
06-21-2009, 06:45 AM
^^^^^thanks you guys for making me feel welcomed in the modo area. :)

I feel lame but instead of starting over on the model, i figure its better to figure out what I did in case it happes in the future.

am i allowed to post my file? Its just the starting out of that really good watch tutorial.

ok, sorry im thinking of all these things in modo of what they could be called in max. But i guess its the statistics panel? I can click on polygon and it selects all polys on the model right? then i try to press tab to do sub D, but it doesnt work, the poly coutn goes up, but it doesnt show it smoothed in the viewport?

DB3D
06-21-2009, 06:48 AM
to give more info, i can select one poly, press tab and it sub divides, but when i click item, or select all polys, it doesnt sub divide the whole model, only if i individual paint all my selections n the model?

is there like the equivalent to a editable poly in there? like did i collapse something and make it into something else, so that I would not be able to use tab anymore? can i convert it back?

MacRobi
06-21-2009, 10:05 AM
I can't reproduce your problem and I'me no Max user, but is it possible that you accidentally copied one mesh inside the same mesh item so that the faces are sitting on top of each other? You can control these if you try to select a single poly and the selection head-up-display says 2 Polygons. This is a common problem and its solution would be a Geometry/Vertex/Merge command followed by Geometry/Polygon/Unify command. See the link to a short Luxology Forum thread about this issue.

Link (http://forums.luxology.com/discussion/topic.aspx?id=17582&show=double%20faces)

Phil Lawson
06-21-2009, 02:05 PM
My guess is there is duplicated geometry like MacRobi mentions.

TheAlienGus
06-21-2009, 07:07 PM
Is it possible to post the lxo file? Maybe someone would be able to assist you.
Might not hurt to look in the item list panel. Or the Info and Statistics panel either.

DB3D
06-22-2009, 05:17 PM
Well I ended up just starting over on the model but hey, did it twice as fast.

If its ok to post my file I'll defintely do it. If anyone still cares to find out what the heck i did.

Is there a shortcut for duplicating polys? (i guess that would just be ctrl v)

When I would select one face and press tab, it would subdivide, like not be connected to the whole mesh. The minute i selected the full mesh by doing poly or item select, tab wouldnt work anymore.

Im sure you guys are right that i duplicated it somehow. When i get home tonight ill post the file if anybody wants to check it out still. Its like some modo mystery and my ocd is kicking in with wondering what caused it.

I just started over and got a better feel for the modeling tools the second go around anyways. At first everything was very foreign to me, after being exclusively in max for so long. But now I see how freakin fast and intuitive the controls are!!

Per-Anders
06-22-2009, 05:52 PM
Bear in mind that tab toggles the subdivision in LW/Modo, so what was subdivided becomes unsubdivided, what wasn't becomes subdivided. You'd have to select the individual elements that weren't for it to work on the whole mesh without turning off the bits that were before.

DB3D
06-25-2009, 06:43 AM
Here is the file. If anyone has a second maybe you can check it out and let me know what the heck i did wrong?

kevmo
06-25-2009, 07:10 AM
Hello Tracer:

what has happened is:

You have a duplicate mesh directly over the original, it looks like you copy/paste(d) the same mesh again on both mesh layers (the watch body & Glass).

So you don't have to do over or if this happens again,
Heres how you can fix this: (in modo302) with the watch Mesh layer activated (don't select any polys) go to the tools tab, select Polygon from the vertical tabs (Basic,Deform etc.) where it says Commands at the bottom of the list click on Reduce at the bottom of the menu select Unify.

The Glass should unify ok (it did for me) the watch had some flipped polys - to fix that
goto the same commands area and select Align.

DB3D
06-25-2009, 07:30 PM
ahh, thanks so much!! Im still a little foggy on how the poly layers work I guess. Even though I started over it was bugging me still, what the heck i did wrong. So thanks everyone for all the replies. Ill be sure to be hanging around the modo forums to learn and help as I go along learning this new program.

kevmo
06-25-2009, 08:01 PM
Glad to help.

You may want to take a look at the keyboard shortcuts, they are very useful but it is possible
to accidentally activate things etc.

for example: F key Flips polygons, N key creates a new mesh layer, B for Bevel, X for Extrude, etc. etc.

There is a lot to learn, I'd say you are off to a good start.

good luck

DB3D
06-25-2009, 08:47 PM
yeah thanks for the tips. I had one relaxed weekend so that was when I was messing around in modo just doing a tutorial. I have some deadlines right now but I hope to dive back into modo very soon. Max just got some new modeling tools and overhaul but they still dont seem as intuitive as modos and I only got to spend a few hours in modo. Im not so scared to set a goal to start workin in modo alot more with all your guys help. Cuz having a problem like i just had and not being able to figure it out for awhile would suck big time.

DB3D
06-29-2009, 03:33 AM
Hello Tracer:

what has happened is:

You have a duplicate mesh directly over the original, it looks like you copy/paste(d) the same mesh again on both mesh layers (the watch body & Glass).

So you don't have to do over or if this happens again,
Heres how you can fix this: (in modo302) with the watch Mesh layer activated (don't select any polys) go to the tools tab, select Polygon from the vertical tabs (Basic,Deform etc.) where it says Commands at the bottom of the list click on Reduce at the bottom of the menu select Unify.

The Glass should unify ok (it did for me) the watch had some flipped polys - to fix that
goto the same commands area and select Align.

finally went back to my old file and did it. thanks a ton. now i know what to do if this happens again!

bisenberger
07-27-2009, 03:21 PM
Hi Tracer18,

I'm also a max user. I was wondering how you liked modo compared to max?

I plan on downloading the modo 401 evaluation when it becomes available.

DB3D
07-27-2009, 04:59 PM
I am liking it quite a bit. Mostly the modeling tools so far. I haven't had the chance to delve deeper into the texturing and rendering areas. Even with maxes new modeling tools things still feel cluttered. Whereas modo just feels like it has a super clean interface and quicker tools. Not really convinced quite yet to completely switch over(there are still some features lacking), but it would be nice to have it in a pipeline for modeling. Ill post in here when i get to mess around with texturing and the renderer more.

bisenberger
07-28-2009, 12:45 PM
Thanks tracer18. Look forward to your updates.

xeni
08-21-2009, 08:46 PM
HI am new to the modo 401 and i like to learn something, i like to create fire and explosion in 3D using modo 401.
many thanks.

Magnus3D
08-21-2009, 10:04 PM
Fire and explosions in 401 might be a problem because you have no particlesystem, no dynamics, or anything else you might need for those types of specialeffects. Unless you wanna reinvent the wheel try to find another way to do what you need to do using another software for the moment until Modo will have support for these types of effects.

/ Magnus

CGTalk Moderation
08-21-2009, 10:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.