PDA

View Full Version : Rendering drives me nuts

zoharl
06-20-2009, 10:22 AM
Every time I finish a scene and reach the point where I need to render, I am filled up with dread. To simply output to an image or a movie what I see on the screen I need to do back-flips such as adding toons to render wireframe, or add some conspicuous shaders to render vertex colors, fluids or particles won't render with every renderer, and the list goes on.

I'm not making a Hollywood movie, I just need to show my results even in draft. Even a kind of a print-screen (which sometimes I resort to) would be good enough.

Isn't there some simple decent renderer which doesn't need fancy stuff, and simply render what you see is what you get? After all, Maya does render the results to the editor.

:sad:

cbamber85
06-20-2009, 01:13 PM
You're going to have to be more specific. I've used many rendering engines (MR, fR, Brazil, VRay, Maxwell...) and they all strengths and weaknesses, I generally stick with mental ray, although it is sometimes difficult IMHO it is the most scalable and broadly featured. However if you have to resort print screen then the chances are, it is one of three things:

Your scene geometry is shafted.
Your software is corrupt.
You don't know how to use the software.
If it's any or some of the above, then no change in software is going to help you.

zoharl
06-20-2009, 07:26 PM
Must be the third reason, and that is my whole point. I want something very simple. I have my scene in my editor exactly as I want it. Now, without adding anything else I want to save a movie of it.

For example, I added vertex colors to a mesh. I can see them well in Maya editor. But to render them I need to create a mentalrayVertexColors node, and configure bunch of other stuff, and I'm still far from being successful:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=87&t=776904

Cheesestraws
06-20-2009, 07:33 PM
I'm not making a Hollywood movie, I just need to show my results even in draft. Even a kind of a print-screen (which sometimes I resort to) would be good enough

Use playblast.

zoharl
06-21-2009, 05:00 PM
How the hell did I miss that option...
Thanks man... :D

CGTalk Moderation
06-21-2009, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.