PDA

View Full Version : MAXScript : Script Backupper - beta 0.1

magicm
07-24-2003, 04:41 PM
Today my irritation about not being able to auto-backup maxscripts REALLY reached the high water mark.. saving your work regularly would do the trick, but I still manage to forget that most of the time.

I've written an activex control that automatically creates auto backups of all currently open maxscripts. it can be activated by the included macroscript. backup interval and path can also be setup from there..

tested with max5.1, I'm not sure if it works with max4 or previous

please let me know if you encounter any problems ;)

PS: just figured it would be nice to add an option to list all back-upped scripts which you can then remove/open etc. next release! :D

!!!!!!! IMPORTANT : see readme included in zip for installation details!

- Martijn

Equinoxx
07-24-2003, 05:40 PM
nice one buddy :thumbsup:

now do that custom maxscript writer with debugging and stuff and you're homefree ;)

LFShade
07-24-2003, 08:13 PM
That's fantastic, magicm! But I won't be using it, because I already have an established workflow that doesn't rely on Max's built-in script editor anyway.

I use an external editor, and I wrote a small suite of scripts to help me integrate the editor into my workflow. I still get full syntax coloring, and evaluating the script(s) I'm working on is just a keypress away. Nowadays when Max crashes (as it inevitably does) I never lose a single line of code:)

I still appreciate your ActiveXcellent idea, though! Fantastic job:applause:

RH

Equinoxx
07-24-2003, 08:26 PM
care to share that workflow Roger ??

cause if i understand you correctly you write your script in an outside editor, but you can evalluate it from there ??

if so that sounds quit usefull . . .

LFShade
07-24-2003, 09:15 PM
Unfortunately, I don't think that's possible. Evaluation is still happening in Max; I switch to Max and hit a key, and whatever I'm working on in the editor is evaluated. It's not quite as convenient as having an editor right inside Max, but at least my scripts don't go down with the ship when there's a crash.

The scripts I've written to accomplish this aren't very complex, but they're too dependent on some specifics of my system to be distributed at this time. Maybe in the future...

RH

Equinoxx
07-24-2003, 09:17 PM
fair enough ;)

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.