PDA

View Full Version : When is MR rubish? When it doesn't work

Als
06-19-2009, 01:25 PM
Yeah, it's this time of the year again.
I'm using maya 8.5 and it desparate need to bake some shaders.
But maya mental ray just doesn't do it.
There is no help in anything I try, I looked through gazillion websites, tutorials, etc.
It just doesn't do it.
Sleapless night didnt' help it, it just doesn't work.
Not to mention that some bump mapping gives unfiltered artifacts to no end, for no reason what so ever. All that put together is rubish.
That is rubish. Using maya 8.5.
end of rant

Now burn me at stake... Tell me to change profession etc...
Sorry but I had to say this...

Please fix it!

Als

I'm sorry.

InfernalDarkness
06-19-2009, 09:43 PM
Rubbish. (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=rubbish)

"Rubish" would be "of or having to do with rube". Rubes of course do not exist...

But on a serious note, I've often wondered recently why you were still using 8.5? It's had several releases since then and many, many bug fixes. I really don't mean to be critical my friend, and I know you work in a situation where you might not be able to give the order to upgrade, but if your problems keep building up perhaps the people will listen more?

Maya 2009 is a dream compared to 8.x. Seriously. Sure, it still has flaws, but mental ray is much better and far more predictable for me this year.

But at that, I've never tried to bake shaders before in MR. Give me an example and I'll gladly try it in 2009, and see if the same errors exist? Did you mean bake shadows?

mr Bob
06-19-2009, 10:31 PM
Als ,
totally hear you.

Als
06-20-2009, 04:02 PM
I was using tc_curvature shader:
http://www.tomcowland.com/mentalray/tc_curvature/index.html
to mix between porcelain and clay material.
But it's flickering too much, and it's not moving with the object, so the fastest solution was to bake the texture. I tried to bake it, but I couldn't. After just restarting machine, and trying more times, I finally managed to bake it, but on different machine.
It doesn't make sense, but there you go.
When it comes out, I'll post some images...
I wish I could upgrade to version 2009, but I only recommend the software, I'm not making decisions. I can't go deeper into the issue... but you can guess.
As mentioned before, Maya is so powerful, MR is so powerful, but the implementation is really killing me.
I'm used to use many shading tricks in maya, which mainly still work (but not all of them).
So hypershade used to be such joy using, and now it's nightmare because very simple reasons.
Among them is the bump mapping and file node in general.
File node filters are so buggy that it makes me want to translate my follicles.
I'm honestly non the wiser when to switch the filters off and when to leave them on.
Being too busy I didn't have the time to test 2009, but then I probably can't do it either because we can't use work done with test version in the real world production because of license? I'm not sure?

Anyway, as far as I'm aware the rendering layers is still not resolved.
So, do forgive me for the rant, but that's all I have left now.

Als

Als
06-20-2009, 04:02 PM
Als ,
totally hear you.

Thank you!

Als

Hamburger
06-21-2009, 06:53 AM
you also have to keep in mind each version of maya is completely static. sure they're going to release a service pack for usually every version to fix a few bugs - but my point is things won't be getting fixed for you if you're still on an older version of 8.5.

i recently remember you had a problem with instancing before with mental ray and maya 8.5 and example to my point is that this was now completely fixed with the 2009 version of maya.

Als
06-21-2009, 10:38 PM
Here is another one.
Map something with transparency with mental ray using maya file node.
Good luck!
That is such a nightmare to do simple stupid task that I have no words to describe it.
On the top of this, there is a very nice issue that inverse doesn't work AT ALL.
On or off, maya doesn't care really...
Conect color, maya still connects OutTransparency even the image is jpg.
So what then happens when it connects transparency with image which doesn't have one...
And still my favourite "interactive positioning".That is if you know good math every time you scale texture, you need to calculate the offset to set it up in the middle... Nice...
Well, anyway, my wish list for maya 2010...

Als

Hamburger
06-21-2009, 11:02 PM
this should work when "luminance is alpha" is ticked. post an example if this doesn't work for you.

MAV4d
06-21-2009, 11:08 PM
Here is another one.
Good luck!
That is such a nightmare to do simple stupid task that I have no words to describe it.
On the top of this, there is a very nice issue that inverse doesn't work AT ALL.
So what then happens when it connects transparency with image which doesn't have one...
And still my favourite "interactive positioning".That is if you know good math every time you scale texture, you need to calculate the offset to set it up in the middle... Nice...
Well, anyway, my wish list for maya 2010...

Als

you need to explain your problems better... because ive never had problems doing what your doing.

Any image with out an alpha will just get a whilte out transparency. MR/maya does this so you could add an alpha if you wanted too.

Interactive placement is just for tweaking. If you want to have something where you can place the texture in the view port... assign the texture as a 2d projection.

Most of the reason why MR/maya is so unintuitive is because its so freaking flexible. You just have to learn a bit more before jumping right in.

I hope this helps.

-Mike

-PS. Complaining like this does not come off well....

Als
06-21-2009, 11:25 PM
Yes, I understand what you are saying and to an extend I agree.
But I'm using maya for a looooooooong time, and it's quite frustrating when things which should work are totally broken, and most of those are SIMPLE things.
Yes, I'm explaining it quite bad I guess, due to luck of time, and it comes across I have no idea what I'm doing, like I'm just some crazy man who is angry at world, because luck of talent or patience.
Don't know about talent, but I have more then enough patience, and I will be more then happy to have time and demonstrate all this bugs...
I'm just frustrated that I'm stuck with maya 8.5 I guess, but that's why I'm complaining now, because I'd rather people don't like me that much, then open maya 2010 and see all this rubish bugs again...
I know it is probably wrong, but I like working in maya and I really hope this all could be easier and they will get bored of me and actually make simple things simple in maya for a change.
We all feel mental sometimes...

Thanks a lot for listening

Als

MAV4d
06-21-2009, 11:38 PM
You can write to autodesk, i know alot of artists who have done that and seen some improvements

mr Bob
06-22-2009, 09:23 AM
You can write to autodesk, i know alot of artists who have done that and seen some improvements

Last time I tried that the response I got from support was " have you tried mel ? " In the end we gave up and wrote our own set up.

InfernalDarkness
06-22-2009, 08:30 PM
Good luck!

All of these functions work just fine in 2009. When I connect color, it never connects anything else. I have no problem mapping transparency with any file type suited for the task.

I don't think anyone is being critical of YOU my friend, but your problems seem rather vague and screenshots or something might help us help you? And I am under no illusion that I know more about Maya / MR than you, just trying to help isolate your problems...

Als
06-23-2009, 05:21 PM
Thanks, that is great to hear.
I wish I had more time to show examples...
I will try... It is a bit pointless complaining without evidence.
So, in the future, I'll try writing less, showing the issue being first priority.

Thanks a lot

Als

cgbeige
06-23-2009, 05:24 PM
MR is rubbish.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=87&t=778146

The real kicker is that I'm having to use Mental Ray because I DON'T want realism...

ndeboar
06-25-2009, 04:18 PM
All renderers suck people, they just suck in differnt ways.

nick

MAV4d
06-25-2009, 05:12 PM

nick

all renderes suck people?! what kinda renderer are you using! :D

cgbeige
06-25-2009, 06:12 PM

nick

There's "having strengths and weaknesses" and then there's "being unable to accomplish what's on your feature list". My third-party renderers are more stable than Mental Ray and shadow passes work in them. Mental Images need to get their shit together

CGTalk Moderation
06-25-2009, 06:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.