PDA

View Full Version : Help!

Mikkel Jans
05-10-2002, 08:47 AM
I Hate UV Mapping!.
UV Mapping always stop me from texturing my models. It takes forever to do and you never get it perfect and its boring.
I would relly like a tutorial on how you UV map a full Polygon Character. It's a pain in the ass.
How do you for eksample UV map a creature like this?
http://www.maya3d.dk/Temp/Ling3.jpg
The easy way would be to just make a planar map from the side. But then alot of UV will overlab each other.
I could hen go in and make Alot of cyllinger mappings. It would take forever to do i never relly get it perfect anyway and it will be a pain to paint becouse i have to fit many texture files together.
And what about the size of the texture. What should the size of my diffrent texture files be?.

Hope someone can help me.

Thanks.

leigh
05-10-2002, 01:53 PM
Hmmmm... for some UV tips, check out the texturing workshop (part 3) at the top of the forum.
The only advice I have for you is to have a lot of patience. This little guy is going to need a lot of different unwraps - ideally you should do all the limbs, the body, the teeth, the inside of his mouth, the plates on his back and the outer head seperately. And don't worry about them overlapping, with a bit of careful planning and work, there shouldn't be any problems.
Select and isolate the different parts and then choose your UV projection according to each pieces basic shape...
This will take a while, so be prepared for some late nights...

Mikkel Jans
05-10-2002, 06:02 PM
Thanks, i will try.
Your tutorials is relly sweet. It's hard to find UV/Texture tutorials like that. But one thing i relly would like to see is a full character that shows all the Planar/Cyllinger mappings that have been used and where they has been placed and in what size the differet textures was painted in.
Im not allways sure if i place the UV Maps in the correct place or if i get it out in the right size.. And what kind of mapping i should use in the different areas of the character. I saw you used a planar for the body. But then you need 2 Planar one for the front body and one for the back of the body. Wouldn't is then be easy just to use 1 cyllinger mapping instead?.

leigh
05-11-2002, 01:43 PM
Hmmmm yeah the problem with cylindrical mapping for bodies is that it is actually less work and more straightforward to do two seperate planars, one for the back and one for the front.
The problem with using cylindrical for a torso is that it often causes problems for the areas where the arms join, and results in a lot of annoying editing of the UVs which is much for unneccasry effort that could just be avoided using planars. Cylindrical mapping is, however, often the best way to do the arms and legs, and then the head (if it is human like) works best with a spherical unwrap on the Y axis.
But it really does depend on the actual shapes...

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.