PDA

View Full Version : questions about florida schools

vroooom
06-19-2009, 03:19 AM
hi my name is Arthur i live in florida st.pete. i attended SPC for i few years, i have my gen AA degree from them. I wanted to find a good aimation school to make a career out of it to work with big industries. Right now i would like to attend something close to home cant really move anywhere at this point whats your suggestions about schools. I know that ITT and IADT sucks they wont insane amount of money for big BS ( like 80000 for 3 or 4 years which is crazy). Is Rinlging art school good for animation its like 40 miles away from me. I know that a lot of people say that most of the work you learn is when you do everything yourself. Will this school help or its a bad school also what school you guys recomend. Should i take some online courses or what and which schools are good for online any advise will help to make the right decision

eldee
06-19-2009, 08:20 AM
ringling is one of the best schools in the world for animation

taxguy
06-19-2009, 01:10 PM
In addition to Ringling, University of Central Frorida has a repudably strong program in animation.

Stankluv
06-19-2009, 04:39 PM
The DAVE School is a great one year/trade school option.

vroooom
06-19-2009, 05:29 PM
so i wont regret going to Ringling school right and paying the money to them, thanks. I am new to this is Animationmentor.com is good school or thats for little bit advanced students or Ringling school is enough.

paulmcg1
06-19-2009, 05:55 PM
Hey vroooom

I think you may have it backwards...Animation Mentor is enough. If you want to be an animator, go to AM, you won't regret it. I've heard people say that it's a master's course in animation. I can tell you from experience that it's the best thing ever! I could go on forever about AM but I won't. I just suggest checking their website out. My first mentor was named Joe Mandia. He's an animator for Sony Imageworks. My second mentor was Mike Walling. He's an animator at Bluesky and just finished up animating on Ice Age 3! So just the fact that you have a mentor that works in the industry is a big plus! I highly recommend AM over everything else if you want to be an animator.

On the otherhand, if you want to be a generalist and learn a bunch of different things...then AM isn't for you. Animation Mentor is for people that are serious about becoming animators. I really suggest going onto AM's website and just soaking up everything on their site.

Anyways, take care and I hope this helps ;)

kgaulin
06-19-2009, 06:50 PM
Ringling is an amazing school, but somewhat tough to get into. They have to approve your portfolio first. If you are a good artist then you have no worries.

Full Sail is in Orlando and they will take anyone with a check. Don't get me wrong, that is where I attended, but you really have to be focused and determined to walk away from there with anything. There are a lot of tough hours and it is impossible to maintain a job while attending so you have to borrow living expenses as well as tuition, but the program is amazing and teaches you everything you need to know. I would definitely sign up for one of their tours so you can check out the facility, it is pretty impressive.

Animation Mentor is another amazing program, but obviously it is online so you need to be super disciplined.

If I were you I would just go online and do as much research as you can on the schools that interest you and request their information packets.

Here is a good place to start
http://schools.awn.com/

Good Luck!

vroooom
06-20-2009, 08:32 AM
I am gone go to Ringling to check out the school first and than i guess i will decide whether i want to do online or go to school. You guys think that the Ringling school is double expensive than the AM online school. And Am school basically for newbs like me right? Because i really dont now anything about animation at all, just draw portrait in pencil really good ones, and after i finish their school do I have to do some kind of training more on my own.

lucerro
06-20-2009, 09:43 AM
My suggestion would be Full Sail, like the previous poster stated it has some insane hours as Im almost 8 months deep into the computer animation BS degree now and can tell you , it is impossible to hold a job with the hours we keep here. but I don't know of any other school that can get you a bachelors degree in only 21 months, only thing is you have to be real serious and dedicated to it or you will be left behind quickly. I am loving it here despite the hellish hours and it has been an amazing experience so far and would recommend it highly as long as you are serious.

vroooom
06-20-2009, 03:42 PM
But you know Full sail is like 130 miles away from me so its far, thats the problem unless i take there online course

lucerro
06-20-2009, 09:45 PM
that is a problem, I don't think they have a full online course for computer animation yet but from what I understand they are developing an online course for game dev, game art and computer animation, they should be available soon but dunno how good they will be w/out the facility we have at the school

MAV4d
06-20-2009, 10:40 PM
I would suggest going to a school with an accredited degree. I graduated from UCF, i wouldn't necessarily recommend attending the program. But, its all about how much you plan on putting into it. I worked my ass off to get a job, while i would say 97% of animation/digital media students are not working in a artistic 3D field.

So basically, your going to have teachers who are there to show you the ropes and get you interested in the programs. Basically to help with small problems. But you are not going to find industry veterans who can tell you what you need to make it in this industry.

So if you think you have enough self motivation to constantly be learning about this life style we call CG, i could recommend UCF, just for the fact that the school's atmoshpere is awesome, they treat their students well... and its becoming a higher ranking school in the US.

AND.... if you get into ringling... go there, be in debt up to your eyes and work your ass off. it will pay in the end.

:( i wish i knew about ringling before dumping 30k into UCF

vroooom
06-22-2009, 10:01 PM
Ok guys i went to check out the Ringling school its awesome. Well the guys told me its impossible to keep a job while you attending school. So basically I am going to have not work. Well its 100miles away back and fort from my house, and you have to stay like 12 hours in school. Well i understand thats why you after you go work with big industries, but he price is insane its like 33000 $ not staying on campus a year, and like 45000 $ staying campus a year for 4 years. Well he told me also that since i have some credits i can maybe shave off a lot of classes, but i think taking a loan to almost to 200000$ roughly thats ridicoulous, but i know it will pay on the end.

What you guys think about animation mentour is a good school i know i asked that question already should i do that instead, which 5 times cheaper. And any help and experienced people from animation mentour calses would be really appreciated.

wadoman1
06-23-2009, 12:52 AM
Well I am a student at animation mentor. Im about half way finished. I came to AM having never animated anything. I can't say enough great things about it. I did a lot of research on schools and none stood out more than AM. If you want to learn character animation and nothing else, then you need AM. If you want to be a jack of all trades and a master of none, then go to any one of the others. Dave school for instance teaches you every aspect of 3D production and more in less than a year and costs twice as much as AM. AM teaches you Advanced Character Animation and nothing else. Most big studios don't care how many other skills you have. They only hire you for one job...animation. With AM you can work and still keep up with your homework. I chose not to work and only focus on school. You can find my animation blog (www.cannimation.com (http://www.cannimation.com)) to see how I have come from knowing nothing to now and I'm only half way there.

Good luck

Dale

vroooom
06-25-2009, 05:06 AM
hey guys me again this is the story. I valet at st.pier so this dude comes all the time to park his car so i dont know how conversion started , but his son goes to scool in Ringling, so he told me that he knows how expensive the school is. The guy told me that is basically 12k a quarter to go to that school, but he helped his is son to get grants and financial aid institution aid and and other stuff so his son end upp spending like 3600 a quarter which about 10k a year versus 36k a year so he gave me his card so i am going to go talk to him see whats up. What you guys think cool or not

MAV4d
06-25-2009, 01:56 PM
I would say do it... no matter the cost

school isnt just about learning, its more about experience, your not going to get as much by sitting in your room. Your going to meet people face to face, work on group projects and learn how to deal with other people. that is 90% of being in the industry.

wadoman1
06-25-2009, 03:38 PM
I don't know man. This is just my opinion, but yeah going to school is great and fun cause you meet people face to face and get the experience of...........well.... being in collage?......., but is that worth 4 years and $80,000 - $200,000? You think it's fine now, but 10 years down the road when your still paying off your school loans, you might not think its so fine then. Most people think "oh I will get a great job with a big studio right out of collage and pay off all my loans"....., but that's not the reality of it. I have met a lot of people at AM that came from other schools including Ringling, that wish they came to AM first because it would have saved them a lot of time and money.

As someone already said AM is the Master Class in Animation.

Also with AM you learn from working animators. Guys that are in the field working at Pixar, Dreamworks, ILM, Disney, Blue Sky etc. etc. They are giving you the inside track on the industry as well as all the tricks they have picked up over the years of working in the trentches. Not a collage teacher sitting behind a desk that while I'm sure is competent, but is not in the current industry. Not to mention you know these animators in the industry now. I have all my instructors emails to keep in touch. These guys may be giving you a job down the road.

I'm sorry I know I may sound like a fan boy of AM, well I am and I'm proud of it and for good reason. Its the best decision I ever made.

Agian this is just my opinion.

Good luck with your decision

philnolan3d
07-10-2009, 02:48 AM
Wow I'm surprised to be hearing anything good about FullSail's animation program. In my year at DAVE School and the 6 years after all I've heard is bad things in fact it's not uncommon for me to see people making jokes about going there. A couple of my DAVE teachers used to work there and left when DAVE was started. I keep hearing about students who graduate and then are immediately hired as teachers without ever having worked a day in the field.

In fact someone wrote an entire article about this kind of stuff:
http://www.geocities.com/fullsailexposed/tfse-ed3.html

KrzysztofFus
07-10-2009, 06:28 AM
If Ringling is only a few minutes drive away from you. You should go there.

Ringling is an amazing school.

vroooom
07-15-2009, 07:12 PM
hey guys well i decided to go to Ringling school, but have few question because i am sure that somebody been in that situation. Since the school so expensive the financial aid and Stafford loans only cover like 19 thousand a year but i need 30 thousand. So my question is if you not rich how you about the other 11 thousand. And if anybody been in my situation would appreciated there opinion.

MAV4d
07-15-2009, 07:40 PM
get some loans my good friend... debt is an American past time :D

KrzysztofFus
07-15-2009, 07:41 PM
Only other option is to take out private student loans.

vroooom
07-15-2009, 08:05 PM
can you give some websites about all this private loans,
and do i have to pay these private loans later after graduation

taxguy
07-15-2009, 08:35 PM
There is a new law to help folks with a lot of student debt. If it is a federal loan, you can get convert your loan to a direct payment loan and pay the loan based on your income! If you have insufficient income to make the payments ,such as not being employed, the loan doesn't have to be paid during that time till your income increases. Once the loan exceeds 25 years, the remaining balance gets discharged. However, this only applies to federal loans and NOT private loans.

vroooom
07-16-2009, 05:03 AM
well for private loans thats my last choice, is there other choices besides private loans

KrzysztofFus
07-16-2009, 03:31 PM
Not really, some people would say army but since the school is a private school you wont get much financial aid for service. Loans are your last option. Unless if your parents pay for it.

vroooom
07-16-2009, 10:40 PM
because stafford loan only gives so much, so basically my last option is private loans. Because i heard few bad things about private loans thats why

MAV4d
07-17-2009, 03:02 AM
talk to the school about co-ops, grants, ect... see what they can do. They are usually performance based so i hope your portfolio is up to snuff.

that being said, loans are very cheap right now and i would say about 70% of college students have some sort of debt when the get through school.

wesdood
07-20-2009, 09:15 PM
In fact someone wrote an entire article about this kind of stuff:
http://www.geocities.com/fullsailexposed/tfse-ed3.html

That article has been floating around for years. That was written by some guy who slacked off through school and just coasted through. You don't just get a degree and except your school to hand you a job.

I currently go to Full Sail and will graduate this year, and while things aren't really the way they present themselves, it's still a pretty solid school. You get what you put in - if your looking for a school to just idle through the program, this isn't the school for you. If your not asking questions throughout class, getting critiques on your work or working on your own projects in your free time, it's probably not the school for you. They give you a lot of work in a short amount of time, and if your not using all the time they give you to get the most out of it, your just wasting space. They give you 2 years to get a 4 year degree; it's more of a crash course. All the classes are a month, and your expected to learn the subject and then bang out a project. That's not alot of time, and if your expecting to learn at your leasure it's not for you.

The majority of the animation teachers at this school are industry professionals, or at least have worked in the industry.

philnolan3d
07-20-2009, 10:14 PM
Well be that true or not, with the full sale grads I know I still recommend DAVE over them. Since the vast majority of what I've heard about them from various people on the net and people I know is not good.

wesdood
07-21-2009, 02:14 AM
Well be that true or not, with the full sale grads I know I still recommend DAVE over them. Since the vast majority of what I've heard about them from various people on the net and people I know is not good.

In my experience, people only post internet reviews if they're dissatisfied. From what I've seen from DAVE, it seems like a button pressing kinda school, as opposed to actually giving you the freedom to try new ways of learning. Of course, Full Sail isn't perfect, so take that as you will.

CGTalk Moderation
07-21-2009, 02:14 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.