PDA

View Full Version : Are there any alternatives to radiosity in LW?

RudeYuut
07-24-2003, 02:50 PM
Ok after reading the entire thread about the renderer issue on the newtek forums, I'm a little disappointed that nothing would be done to improve it in LW 8.0. One issue that seems to be major at the moment is that radiosity in LW is damn near ancient compared to the other software packages out there. I mean I personally use lightwave for modelling and rendering architectual scenes and product shots for pitches in phamacuetical advertising. I'm beginning to use radiosity more now because it looks so much better and realistic but it take sooooooo long just to render a frame. It looks like in the long run we'll lose revenue mainly because of the amount of time it takes to render. So right now we're looking for alternatives. I really don't want us to move to another 3D package just for rendering alone. I just can't get around 3DS max, but they do offer compatibility with 3rd party applications for rendering alone, such as V-ray, Brazil or Final render. By any chance does G2 offer radiosity rendering or does it use LW's native radiosity renderer? Don't get me wrong I absolutely love LW but what's the point in modelling an awesome image if the end result isn't going to be that good or to get a realistic look you have to wait days for it.

Just my 2 cents plus a question.

froggyplat
07-24-2003, 03:12 PM
some alternatives would be to try some hdr with lightgen, then use the spinning lights trick to get a radiosity feel. i seem to remember a thread about that some time ago.

also, check out eki's plug pack (you can get the address from flay.com) as another alternative.

Ayreon
07-24-2003, 03:17 PM
Yep, that's what I do, I use LightGen, and the spinning trick. Works quit well in most cases. But it's true that the real radiosity look is very difficult to fake. But give lightgen a try, you may find that it's good enough.

Ayreon

E_Moelzer
07-24-2003, 03:35 PM
You know, most of the larger studios actually still do good ol' handlighting...
Radiosity still is not that great for production (despite architectural renderings maybe).
Personally I rarely use it. One reason is the lack of control that I have got with rad, the other is that it is indeed slow (not only in LW though, but LWs renderer is one of the slower ones)
CU
Elmar

RudeYuut
07-24-2003, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. Are there any links to these sites. (Lightgen, Eki's plugin Pak).

Halsu
07-24-2003, 04:00 PM
Lightgen link at Flay.com (http://www.flay.com/getnewsdetail.cfm?ID=312)

You can check out my PlugPak (which includes "Overcaster" spinning lights / GI hack) HERE (http://www.kolumbus.fi/erkki.halkka/plugpak).

I've actually recently written yet one more LScript, Light2Spinner (http://eki.3dfightclub.com/BETA/Light2Spinner.ls) ,which automaticly turns all selected lights into spinning lights, for easy setup of i.e. lightgen rigs (Still a BETA version).

I plan to include it's functionality (as well as the script itself, as a freebie) in the next plugpak revision, which would turn all the selected lights into Overcaster spinning lights (with all the extra control overcaster allows)...

CU

roguenroll
07-24-2003, 04:43 PM
thx, Eki, your plugins are the best.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.